CHICAGO, CHICAGO, CHICAGO - Travel Tips Plz!

Wow, I am really impressed by all the help of our Pfers....Thanks!

I am so excited and looking forward to this trip! It's set for March 22....

I just moved to a new house and have been cleaning up the whole time...I really need a big BREAK.......

I am really looking forward to shopping on Michigan Ave........just that 9% tax is a little ouch.:crybaby:

I will make sure I take warm clothes and comfy shoes.....

Thanks all!

Sorry it took so long lol but my dad suggested basically the same places IntlSet suggested (not the club though haha). Also the shopping, but he wasn't there for a long time, plus it had just started to snow so he didn't get to check out the shopping for me.
He also went to Harry Caray's restaurant and really liked the food. Here's the site so you can check it out: HARRY CARAYS

Have a wonderful time. I too am a native California girl, but I live in Minneapolis. I just went to Chicago last month for 4 days and did the various museum's and tourist activities, but spent a lot of time on Michigan Ave. Be sure to hit the Saks, that is where I got my JC Riki for $625.00 & my Chole Betty Patent leather chain for $710.00. For food, if you want to eat at places other than your typical chains, there are too many to name, just ask the hotel for recommendations for whatever type you're in the mood for.
Enjoy:drinkup:

Have fun. I've been to Chicago once a couple of years ago at this time and it snowed! I loved it there. So much shopping, art, great food. We even got to see the Joffrey Ballet which was the highlight for me. We used taxis and public transportation. I also enjoyed Shedd Aqaurium and the Field Museum. Have fun shopping!

Yeah, that 9% sales tax is a bummer. The stores can ship your purchases to you and you won't be charged the IL/Chicago sales tax. If the store you buy from also has a store in CA, you'll be charged your home state sales tax. At least that's how I do it when I go back to Chgo and shop. They ship to NC.

Have fun!

I just found out that my husband and I are staying at OMNI CHICAGO HOTEL....I am not sure how good the hotel is (though OMNI is a big chain hotel isn't it?), we do not have much choice since the company he is visiting has booked it for him....shouldn't complain when it's free right? hehe...:P

I just like it 'cause it's located on Michigan Ave. Everyone who answered me (and thanks to all) told me to go to Michigan Ave. for shopping, so I am excited!

It already feels like spring here in San Diego (if not summer, it's getting pretty warm during the day), and I haven't worn my boots that many times that I got this season (Jimmy Choos, Dior and Chanel), I am taking them all to Chicago! It sounds like I can put them in good use there! I was kinda bummed that it got too warm to where boots here.....

Thanks to everyone again for all the tips and if anyone'scoming to San Diego, let me know!

just a couple things to add...

Cafe Spiaggia is one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. It is located right at the corner of Oak and Michigan, and if you didn't know it was there, you probably wouldn't notice. It is great italian food, and well known. Spiaggia is also in that building, but it is more expensive and I've heard not worth it. I always stick with the cafe. My favorite thing there is the gnocchi with wild boar ragu.

Also, my husband and I go every weekend for lunch at Bistrot Zinc, which is on State near Division. The first time we went there we were totally hooked because it made us feel like we were in Paris. Everything I have had there is great, and it's also close to the shopping in the Mich Ave/Oak St area (as is Gibson's, a famous steakhouse mentioned earlier, and Tavern on Rush--these three are all within sight of one another).

If you are looking for something a little more off the beaten path (I love Saks, Neimans, Barney's, etc, etc, but sometimes you want something more local), try shopping on Damen. My favorite lingerie store is called G Boutique, on Damen right near the 90/94, and there are some cute clothing boutiques right on that block as well as a popular sushi place called Coast. There are also some really cute home and clothing stores on Division right around Damen. Finally, there are cute boutiques on Armitage just west of Halsted (including Active Endeavors). This is the Lincoln Park area.

Finally, I just made it to the aquarium this weekend, and it is pretty amazing. I stayed for 3.5 hours until they kicked me out because they were closing. They have a baby whale right now.

The Omni is in an excellent location. It's a suites hotel so you should have more room, a fridge, etc. The lobby isn't on street level--at the street entrance you take elevators up to the lobby. I don't know if she still uses it, but for years it was where Oprah would put up her guests.

I read back thru the thread to see when you will be there. We'll be downtown March 11 and 12.

The wonderful members here have given you superb information, better than any guidebook. Hope you enjoy your time in the Windy City.

A lot of good suggestions have already been made. If you like a good steak, Weber Grill, is available. Joy Yee's has good, inexpensive panasian food in Chinatown, but it can be pretty crowded. There's a lot of great stores on Michigan Avenue, and sometimes there are some good deals that can be found at Filene's Basement. Have fun!