Chevre Goat Skin

birkinbaby said:
When is box going to be discontinued? Why are they discontinuing chevre and box?

I don't know anything about Chevre being discontinued, but I was told that they weren't making any more Birkins in Box Calf because it's difficult to work with.:cry:

Smoothoprter said:
I don't know anything about Chevre being discontinued, but I was told that they weren't making any more Birkins in Box Calf because it's difficult to work with.:cry:

I was told that there's a new chevre leather known as Chevre Jhansi, but I haven't had the chance to see it in person. Not sure if Chevre Jhansi is meant to replace Mysore or Coromandel though...

About box being difficult to work with, I once attended an event "Encounter with Hermes Craftsmen" where I got to see craftsmen in action making scarf, tie, & one of them was making a Togo Birkin. It was truly an amazing sight...the body of the bag was turned inside out ( the flap, strap and bottom weren't attached to the bag yet ), just like sewing a dress...AMAZING.

I remembered in the "How Hermes Make a Kelly slideshow", it mentioned that for rigid or stiff leather, the bag is worked with the leather right side out. So I would think that when making a box calf Birkin, the craftsman wouldn't be able to turn it inside out...rendering it more difficult...does this make sense ? :huh:

Reactions: Smoothoprter
gigi leung said:
I was told that there's a new chevre leather known as Chevre Jhansi, but I haven't had the chance to see it in person. Not sure if Chevre Jhansi is meant to replace Mysore or Coromandel though...

About box being difficult to work with, I once attended an event "Encounter with Hermes Craftsmen" where I got to see craftsmen in action making scarf, tie, & one of them was making a Togo Birkin. It was truly an amazing sight...the body of the bag was turned inside out ( the flap, strap and bottom weren't attached to the bag yet ), just like sewing a dress...AMAZING.

I remembered in the "How Hermes Make a Kelly slideshow", it mentioned that for rigid or stiff leather, the bag is worked with the leather right side out. So I would think that when making a box calf Birkin, the craftsman wouldn't be able to turn it inside out...rendering it more difficult...does this make sense ? :huh:

but there are other rigid leather, such as chevre or epsom.
Why discontinue box calf??? :blink: :blink:

I have a hard time believing that they are going to totally discontinue box calf. This is one of the oldest most classic and iconic Hermes leathers. I'll ask my SA about it...

Greentea said:
I have a hard time believing that they are going to totally discontinue box calf. This is one of the oldest most classic and iconic Hermes leathers. I'll ask my SA about it...
Me too. From what I know, box calf has been around for a long long time for Hermes. Greentea, if you find out anything from your SA, keep us posted!

My heart will be truly broken if Chevre is really gone. That is what I truly wanted. I can't even imagine box being gone. It is the classic...I really can't believe that.

Greentea said:

Yes, if you can get clarification that would be great. Like I said, Box is one of my favorites leathers and my heart would be broken if they didn't make Birkin's in box anymore.:cry:

When I asked my SA before about box ... I didn't get the impression that it was being discontinued. The SA just told me that they don't receive a lot of it because this particular Hermes store doesn't order it a lot as there is not much demand for it in my city. She said once they had a box Kelly and it stood there for a couple of months because nobody wanted to buy it for fear of scratches.

Yesterday, when I also went to Hermes Zurich, there were several agendas in box.

I love the chevre! I hope it doesn't get discontinued.

hello everyone! i've been reading the hermes threads and so happy for those who already have their birkin and kelly bags. maybe someday i will have one (of each!) too. in the meantime, i'm reading up and learning all i can about these bags. maybe this has been answered before but i just missed it--what is the difference between chevre mysore and chevre coromandel?

La Van love your kelly :love: ! gorgeous! and the hippo lock is so cute! maybe i should get a lock first with hopes of getting a bag in the future :biggrin:

La Vanguardia said:
When I asked my SA before about box ... I didn't get the impression that it was being discontinued. The SA just told me that they don't receive a lot of it because this particular Hermes store doesn't order it a lot as there is not much demand for it in my city. She said once they had a box Kelly and it stood there for a couple of months because nobody wanted to buy it for fear of scratches.

Yesterday, when I also went to Hermes Zurich, there were several agendas in box.

I love the chevre! I hope it doesn't get discontinued.
I was in Hermès yesterday, and my SA told me the same thing. She showed me the list of all the Kellys that are due to arrive (about 8 or 10) and there wasn't one in box, there was one in chevre and all the others were in textured leathers, maybe there was one in swift, I'm not sure. She told me that people don't want box 'cause it's too delicate, they prefer more durable leathers.

I'm really growing fond of box again, even though I use my black box Kelly very little, I would like a Birkin in Thalassa box, what do you Guys think ? Other sugestions in box? :wondering :biggrin:

Duna did you see that picture in the socialites thread about the Thalassa box Birkin that Helen something owns? It's stunning.
I also love Rouge Hermes anything in box and chocolate brown in box!

Greentea said:
Duna did you see that picture in the socialites thread about the Thalassa box Birkin that Helen something owns? It's stunning.
I also love Rouge Hermes anything in box and chocolate brown in box!
It was seeing that pic that made me think of Thalassa box, that bag is stunning.. I agree with you, I think the best colors for box are black, rouge H, dark brown and I also like that dark green that you see on vintage Kellys..But I already have a black box Kelly and a rouge H Plume in box, so what would you suggest next? Which bag and in what color box ? Do you think Thalassa Birkin ? What would your first choice be? thanks a lot for suggestions..;) :biggrin: