Chevre Chamkila

milotic55

Aug 4, 2017
does anyone happen to know what leather this is? Chere Chamkila i did a google search but nothing, it looks like sombrero

Lostinlondon

Feb 4, 2017
london
“Chère” also means expensive in French. Very fitting considering the price tag (although since “leather” and “bag” are both masculine, it should read “cher”) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: bagidiotic

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
“Chère” also means expensive in French. Very fitting considering the price tag (although since “leather” and “bag” are both masculine, it should read “cher”) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I could rename it Cher, Chèvre Chamkila but since it's the H forum I think it's a given.

I like the name Chamkila (you may have to say it out loud). As in "The price at H is often a Chamkila".

ladyfarquaad

May 30, 2014
I’m really wondering what “Chamkila” is meant to signify - Coromandel and Mysore are both regions in India, so perhaps there’s an Indian significance? Funnily enough, “Chamkila” in Hindi translates to “shiny” or “sparkly” - it would be funny if this variant of chèvre has a particularly noticeable sheen!

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I’m really wondering what “Chamkila” is meant to signify - Coromandel and Mysore are both regions in India, so perhaps there’s an Indian significance? Funnily enough, “Chamkila” in Hindi translates to “shiny” or “sparkly” - it would be funny if this variant of chèvre has a particularly noticeable sheen!
There is a famous Punjabi singer called Amar Singh Chamkila so you could well be correct

Yoshi1296

Dec 29, 2012
I was just about to say that! It's also means shiny in punjabi..[emoji813]
I’m Gujarati and it also means “shiny” in that language too!

I also hear folks say “Chamkili” which means “bright.” So both words are pretty close in meaning.

I wonder why all the Chèvre leather have Indian names? It’s super interesting.

Mysore- City in India
Coromandel- coastal area of southern India
Chandra- means “moon” in Hindi And is the name of the Moon deity in the Hindu religion.
Chamkila- means “shiny” in several native Indian languages.

Last edited:

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I was told this weekend by a leather manager at a flagship that Mysore was going to be phased out. I dismissed it at the time as the typical "Black and Gold will be rested" rumor, but maybe it is true.
Thanks for the info. I agree it's hard to know what to believe but mostly I think most SAs give accurate info at the time given but then H change their minds and make their staff look ill-informed. Of course some staff make it up as they go along.

Anyone actually see or touched this leather in person yet?