Chevre Chamkila

“Chère” also means expensive in French. Very fitting considering the price tag (although since “leather” and “bag” are both masculine, it should read “cher”) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I could rename it Cher, Chèvre Chamkila but since it's the H forum I think it's a given.

I like the name Chamkila (you may have to say it out loud). As in "The price at H is often a Chamkila".

Have not seen this leather in person yet, but as it seems the Chamkila chevre has a slightly more matte finish than the Mysore chevre. Following are photos via H.com
https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/verrou-chaine-mini-bag-H071320CKU5/

upload_2019-2-19_10-58-47.png
verrou-chaine-mini-bag--076146CK89-front-1-300-0-1421-1421_b.jpg
verrou-chaine-mini-bag--076146CK89-back-3-300-0-1421-1421_b.jpg

I’m really wondering what “Chamkila” is meant to signify - Coromandel and Mysore are both regions in India, so perhaps there’s an Indian significance? Funnily enough, “Chamkila” in Hindi translates to “shiny” or “sparkly” - it would be funny if this variant of chèvre has a particularly noticeable sheen!

There is a famous Punjabi singer called Amar Singh Chamkila so you could well be correct

I was just about to say that! It's also means shiny in punjabi..[emoji813]

I’m Gujarati and it also means “shiny” in that language too!

I also hear folks say “Chamkili” which means “bright.” So both words are pretty close in meaning.

I wonder why all the Chèvre leather have Indian names? It’s super interesting.

Mysore- City in India
Coromandel- coastal area of southern India
Chandra- means “moon” in Hindi And is the name of the Moon deity in the Hindu religion.
Chamkila- means “shiny” in several native Indian languages.

Last edited:
I was told this weekend by a leather manager at a flagship that Mysore was going to be phased out. I dismissed it at the time as the typical "Black and Gold will be rested" rumor, but maybe it is true.

Thanks for the info. I agree it's hard to know what to believe but mostly I think most SAs give accurate info at the time given but then H change their minds and make their staff look ill-informed. Of course some staff make it up as they go along.

Anyone actually see or touched this leather in person yet?