Cheap housing in California?

Prices in Los Angeles are crazy out of control. I have lived in the same place forever. I could never afford to move. I am paying less for a 2 bedroom then my friend is paying for a single. And I live in a nicer part of West Hollywood then he does. One nice thing about West Hollywood is there is rent control once you move in so the landlord can't raise your rent crazy amounts.

Oh come on, Twiggers, Fresno is ten times better than Stockton! We have Coach (soon 2 Coaches), Nordstrom Rack, High End malls, fabulous eating, we're close to LA, half a million people, our own TV stations...and on and on! :P

Wow, I can't wait to go there now.:yahoo: I drove through there on my way to Lake Tahoe last August and there was so much new development.

It's true, KT! Fresno has come a LONG way - I don't even have to go into the dodgy areas - all the good stuff is in the northern half. We even have our own magazine now. :lol: Fresno is trying hard to become urban and chic - and alternative to SF and LA.

Stop laughing, Twiggers! :P:lol:

KT, i live in san jose renting an apartment . i have a 2 bedroom in a 2 year old high rise apartment bldging i pay about 2000 a month. A coworker here has an apartment which is about 1 year old and she pays 2800.

The apts here in SJ is high. the better locations are higher than some. i know apts by my moms house is about 1400 -1600 for a 2 bedroom.

Is there even such a thing?

I live in San Jose and the cheapest 2 bedroom apartment I can find is $1200 a month, it's crazy. My boyfriend and I would really like to move in together while I pursue a career with the CHP but it's gonna be hard to pay for everything we need including our pets on an $2000 a month income.

Anybody have any suggestions?

There is no such thing in area of San Diego I live at. I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, LR, DR, etc house and it cost a lot.

I think the going rate for a very small 1 bedroom is more than you quoted for a 2 bedroom.

We currently live in a rent-controlled apartment in SF. We've got a 2 bed, 2 bath and pay just under $2,400. But, our rent has hardly gone up in the almost 5 years we've been here due to rent control.

As far as I can tell, there is no cheap housing in CA near the larger cities. :sad:

The house I rent with 3 other girls has the masterbedroom paying $1225. That is so ridiculous, but its actually the average price for a large bedroom in some parts of LA.

i think the cheapest housing in cali would be the boonies and the in-between cities/counties.. like anywhere between santa barbara and san jose along the coast and inward.. or the boonies around stockton/tracy ish.

my friend is paying $1200 for an under 600sqft 1bedroom here.. so don't feel bad! lol.