Charities for the Holidays/December

I got a World Vision catalog yesterday (ironically it was sandwiched between the new Saks and NM holiday catalogs) and I could not stop reading it. For example, for $100 you can buy a goat and two chickens for a family living in poverty. For $2000 dollars you can buy an entire menagerie of farm animals that would provide food and milk for 10 families. I think this is a such a great way to honor friends and family during the holiday season by giving to the truly needy in their name. :yes:

and someone else posted this...

World Vision (you might have seen those heart-breaking informercials at night, this is a great idea)
http://www.worldvision.org

I have been a World Vision mama for several years now. They send you yearly updates on your kids and pictures. Mine has grown up so much!

I have gotten cards they wrote. I once sent them stickers and 6 months later I got a card thanking me with some of my stickers.

wow right? all the way from Uganda.

I got a World Vision catalog yesterday (ironically it was sandwiched between the new Saks and NM holiday catalogs) and I could not stop reading it. For example, for $100 you can buy a goat and two chickens for a family living in poverty. For $2000 dollars you can buy an entire menagerie of farm animals that would provide food and milk for 10 families. I think this is a such a great way to honor friends and family during the holiday season by giving to the truly needy in their name. :yes:

I received the same catalogue.

This is the same concept as heifer.org, to which I have given in the past.

Some really good charities have been mentioned!

My favorite is Child's Play, founded by Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho. Hospitals set up wishlists on Amazon and you can purchase toys and games for the sick kids there, or you can donate straight to the charity and the money goes to the hospitals. There's a whole bunch of information on the website and some really touching letters from former patients and parents.

What wonderful, kind hearted and generous people are a part of this forum!!!

A favorite charity of mine is Canine Companions for Independence
www.cci.org

I have seen these dogs at work and have read stories of how they have changed
both children and adult's lives. Truly amazine what they can do to help.

Operation Christmas Child!! small boxes of gifts for needy boys & girls world wide

OCC

I love it because it's a project kids can get involved in. You can bring your daughter or son shopping to pick out the items for the boxes and he/she can write a note to include in the box. Or have it as a group project - classroom, place of worship, etc. It's never too early to learn about doing good for others!

Last edited: