Chanel classic medium flap vs 19 flap

ashin1204

Mar 14, 2014
I am planning to keep only one of these two as they are too similar to keep both (black flap bags with *mostly* gold hw). The classic flap is about two years old and i’ve used it probably five time at most The 19 flap is brand new never used it and can still return. I’m 32 yrs old, single, no kids.
I love the look of the 19 but I am afraid to let the classic go due to price increases - what if I want to bring it back to my collection in the future and it costs a lot more than what I sold for? But I am also not sure about the longevity of the 19 - will it go out of style? Would the structure hold ok?
another option is to get the 19 exchanged for a beige 19 And keep both beige 19 and the classic. Not sure when I can get a beige. And I wont go bankrupt if I keep both but still prefer to keep that money for something else.
my other Chanel bags are a red mini reissue and a pinkish beige mini square (See my profile pic for ref)
I am a casual dresser and wear biz casual to work (if I get to go back to the office)
Any advice and comments would be appreciated

Thanks

E47D872A-6AEC-4967-9783-289389DA8198.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Namwan-
Personally I would keep both but that’s just because I like having lots of Chanel purses lol. Or I would exchange the 19 for a classic flap.

the 19 will go out of style and it will lose its shape. But it can be a stylish bag that fits your casual look and can definitely at least be worn for the next 2-3 years at minimum

I vote for keeping a classic caviar black m/l cf! It's a classic style and size. The price will keep going up in case you want to sell it later. I personally think the 19 is a seasonal bag and not worth it. Good luck deciding!

Reactions: ashin1204
I just got the 19 and I now realize what all the hype is about...it’s an amazing bag. Having said that, I don’t follow trends and I wear what I like regardless if it’s “in style” or not. If I were you I would get the 19 in beige for variety but I also think the 2 are different enough and are for different purposes to keep both.

I love both. Even though they are both black with GHW I don’t think they are that similar. To me they have different vibes. 19 flap is a fun casual throw it on with jeans bag. The classic is a dressier wear to work bag. Having said that if you want to keep both styles and not have them both be black then get a different color 19. If you want to keep it neutral the grey one is nice too. I’m with @Venessa84 in terms of wearing a bag I like even if people think it’s out of style. I buy what I like and I wear what I like as long as it suits my lifestyle.

These two bags are not similar at all, except for the black color! They are completely different and based on the description of your style, I would say that 19 fits you better. It is a casual bag which can be used on a daily bases. Classic flap on the other hand, can be used more, especially in this combination, for special occasions and evenings. I also use my medium CF a few times per year, but would not want to miss it, because such a bag can last a lifetime. When it comes to your question regarding 19 going out of style, I must say that the most beautiful bags Chanel makes are seasonal or non-classic bags. I have a few of those and they make my heart sing more than the classic bags. In addition, nothing lasts forever, so if you use your bags a lot, they will certainly lose their shape. And due to its softer structure, I believe that 19 can lose its shape easier than a CF, but that should not be a dealbreaker for such a beautiful bag. So, keep both bags, use 19 and keep CF for special occasions, keeping in mind that it is a bag which you will find suitable in your 60s as well.