Chanel Chain Horror Story

Jul 18, 2011
So I received this bag about 2 months ago and haven't shared because I've been slowly trying to restore my rare vintage basket bag. Continue reading below for the horror story!

So about 2 months ago I was perusing the preloved mark and spotted a Vintage Chanel bag I have been searching for for YEARS. I bought it immediately. It was purchased from a VERY reputable preloved site (the name of the site is not necessary because mistakes happen and they handled the mistake well after I emailed them). Anyways, the bag arrived and much to my horror whoever had packed the bag left the chains unwrapped to LAY against the back of this lambskin bag for a WEEK (it was shipped around the holidays so that slowed shipping). I was horrified when I recieved the bag. Returns weren't an option because I had been looking for this exact bag for years and the only other ones I had seen were 5-10k in eBay.

So thanks to the advice I found on TPF I've slowly lessened the chain dents. I posted the before and "in the process" shots below. If anyone is curious I've gently used my hairdryer on high heat for about 2-3 seconds and rubbed the debts gently with clean hands. It's definitely not 100% but it's better and I can live with it. I'll update it if I get them out completely.

Let me know what you guys would've done?! Any tricks? Thanks!!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bisoux78 and Meowwu
The first picture made me gasp in horror and the second one made me sigh relief! You've certainly done a great job! The only other trick I know is just "massaging" the dented area with a clean, dry finger in a circular motion.

You have done an amazing job with those dents!! I'll remember your trick should this happen to me in the future (though being honest, I sincerely hope it doesn't!). Your bag looks beautiful; you are to be commended for how you handled such a disappointing situation.

So I received this bag about 2 months ago and haven't shared because I've been slowly trying to restore my rare vintage basket bag. Continue reading below for the horror story!
So about 2 months ago I was perusing the preloved mark and spotted a Vintage Chanel bag I have been searching for for YEARS. I bought it immediately. It was purchased from a VERY reputable preloved site (the name of the site is not necessary because mistakes happen and they handled the mistake well after I emailed them). Anyways, the bag arrived and much to my horror whoever had packed the bag left the chains unwrapped to LAY against the back of this lambskin bag for a WEEK (it was shipped around the holidays so that slowed shipping). I was horrified when I recieved the bag. Returns weren't an option because I had been looking for this exact bag for years and the only other ones I had seen were 5-10k in eBay.
So thanks to the advice I found on TPF I've slowly lessened the chain dents. I posted the before and "in the process" shots below. If anyone is curious I've gently used my hairdryer on high heat for about 2-3 seconds and rubbed the debts gently with clean hands. It's definitely not 100% but it's better and I can live with it. I'll update it if I get them out completely.
Let me know what you guys would've done?! Any tricks? Thanks!!
View attachment 3611626 View attachment 3611629

WOW! You are a miracle worker! Enjoy your unicorn piece!

Try steaming with a towel over it to catch excess moisture. Works really well in getting dents out of my chevron as well as puffing quilts up! But only do for a few seconds at a time!