chanel bag for a 12 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree it's too young.
What's next? An Hermes in 10th grade?
I'm not being snotty, I'm asking this in my head as I tend to like to 'trade up'.

Personally, I like to see everyone, 40 yr old women included, dressing appropriately for their age.
I think even an LV pouchette is a better idea, however still a little too pricey for your age.
Completely agree with the above statement.

Sometimes the things most appreciated are the ones we work hard for.

Is there an age requirement for this forum?:shrugs:

I have a 12-year old daughter, and the idea of her having a Chanel bag is just ... way beyond my comprehension. Granted, she is not into such things.

But if I were to even consider her having one, apart from questions of what style would look best on someone her age, I would be interested in the ethics of it.

I'd want to know that she understood how long it took the average person to earn the amount of money that went into that bag, and I'd want to make sure she was doing volunteer work and contributing some of her money to charities, not just to fashion. A 12-year old is still at the age where her values are being formed, and, this is just me, but I wouldn't want my daughter thinking wearing designer fashion is the only important thing.

Bravo!! Thank God there are people like you raising kids!

I think you can give a 12 year old designer things and still teach her good values. One thing has nothing to do with the other. If you have raised your children right giving them designer items should not change that.

I couldn't agree with you more Zeke, well said.

I do realize that times have changed since I was that age (longing for a Polo button-down or Tretorns, lol), but I just don't understand children being exposed to designer items with hefty price tags. Reading fashion magazines was something I did starting around 12 or 13 although it never occured to me to even try and "save up" for something so expensive (again, times are different:shame: ). Look at what kids are watching these days though; I almost want to throw my television out the window when I come across MTV's "My Super Sweet Sixteen", but I can't because I'm spellbound by the young girls/ladies on that show who make complete a#$%* out of themselves (and their parents, well, the parents do that just fine already). Yes, I do realize that this is a show and it needs to be entertaining, it just makes my blood boil when these totally unappreciative, spoiled brats are mad that Beyonce can't come to their party or the colour of their BMW is 'wrong'. Doesn't matter if it's real or not, it's what kids are learning these days and it doesn't sit well with me at all. JMO:smile:

Do you look like a teenager? If so, I don't think a Chanel would work to your benefit. I saw a girl who looked about thirteen with a Chanel bag today, and it didn't look cute or classy -- it looked like "trying too hard."

I have a 12-year old daughter, and the idea of her having a Chanel bag is just ... way beyond my comprehension. Granted, she is not into such things.

But if I were to even consider her having one, apart from questions of what style would look best on someone her age, I would be interested in the ethics of it.

I'd want to know that she understood how long it took the average person to earn the amount of money that went into that bag, and I'd want to make sure she was doing volunteer work and contributing some of her money to charities, not just to fashion. A 12-year old is still at the age where her values are being formed, and, this is just me, but I wouldn't want my daughter thinking wearing designer fashion is the only important thing.
amen i couldn't have said it better myself:yes:

AMEN! I so agree with this statement and Swanky's. Not all 12 year olds are alike though and some might have the maturity to care for a bag of that caliber. Whether it's a XBOX or a Chanel bag, it really shouldn't matter, it's whether the child can take care of it. Such items of luxury though, it'd also be good for children to earn it on their own. :yes:

I sooooo agree with you! OMG, I cannot picture a 12-yr old gal carrying a chanel at all! Maybe her family could totally afford it, but I don't think that's really the point. The point is at that age her values and worldviews are being formed. And I just wonder what kind of impact this high fashion designer bag would have on the gal as she grows up. I do love chanel bags, but I just cannot picture it with a 6th grader...

I'm quite young too, only 13 years old. But I've always thought that Chanel bags were too mature. I would stick to Coach, D&B, Juicy Cotoure, etc if I were you.

I go to a private international school with an outrageous tuition fee. Everyone is spoiled and has designer, but no one goes as far as asking for a Chanel bag. That's just... beyond crazy.

Ok ppl I'm so sorry..the only reason I posted this thread is because I saw a very cute chanel bag one of my friends were carrying(I do not not know if it was real or fake)but I know I wouldn't own a chanel bag til I was much much older. I'm sorry if you guys got a wrong impression. I think I'm going to just stick with coach till I get a job hehe. Again I'm sorry I didn't want to cause any trouble..I just wanted to see what other people would say about 12 year olds and chanel bags because seriously I wouldn't think about chanel in a million years[well maybe not that long] but anyway can you mods close the thread so we can end this discussion.

Shoppingaddict - I don't think you caused anyone trouble. ;) You'll get your Chanel soon I'm sure if you're still interested in it! I think it was a good topic for discussion because I myself wonder about it from time to time too. When are you old enough? Take care!

If she is going to wear a handbag at 12, why not a chanel?-my 12 yr old grandsons have expensive motorized bikes, stereos, tv's playstations., all name brand items., why not a chanel bag for a 12 year old., chanel does not come with an age appropriate tag on it., I would rather see her with a refined, beautiful cambon pouchette than with one of those gawdy, sequined, feathered enhanced bags that they sell for 12 year olds.
agree. Have you tried Coach or Dooney & Burke? I have bought a Dooney & Burke for my 7 years old.

You didn't cause any trouble.
Anytime you ask for opinions, you have to be prepared for all of them:yes: Some will give you the opinion you were hoping for, some will not, we're all just SO different.
I think everyone was pretty respectful personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.