chanel bag for a 12 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree w/ everyone. 13 is just too young for a Chanel bag. If you start at the top at that age what have you got to work toward and look forward to when you are older?????????

I also agree it's too young.
What's next? An Hermes in 10th grade?
I'm not being snotty, I'm asking this in my head as I tend to like to 'trade up'.

Personally, I like to see everyone, 40 yr old women included, dressing appropriately for their age.

Oh we can dream that eveyone dresses age appropriate can't we!
Years ago I went to the funeral of a 82 year old billionaire (not kidding), who's 75 year old wife wore a miniskirt. Yes, she looked hideous. I kept thinking she employs a staff of people, is everyone too scared to suggest to her something else.

Yeah I agree also. I didn't get my first Chanel until I was in my 2nd year in college. So last year actually. And I didn't get my first LV until I was a senior in high school (17 years old) and it was the monogram pochette.
I think it's pretty young yet..I started out with a couple of Kate Spades in 9th grade, when I was 14 but not by choice..my mom MADE me carry a purse because she was sick of me putting my stuff in her bags to carry around. Then I progressed to a couple of Coach bags and then the D&B It bags. It wasn't until my late teens that I got the more expensive designer bags.
But like some other people said, if you absolutely must have a Chanel and will take care of it, then go for a Cambon pochette or something. The majority of the Chanel bags I own now, at 21, are from that line.

I also agree it's too young.
What's next? An Hermes in 10th grade?
I'm not being snotty, I'm asking this in my head as I tend to like to 'trade up'.

Personally, I like to see everyone, 40 yr old women included, dressing appropriately for their age.
I think even an LV pouchette is a better idea, however still a little too pricey for your age.

I could not have said this better myself....I totally agree...I'm still laughing at the '...Hermes in 10th grade...' :heart: Emmy

I just read some more posts. I have NO problem with my daughter buying expensive bags. I buy my 12 year old son expensive video games and systems..whats the difference? Whats the difference if I buy my son a PSP for $250 and my daughter a LV pouchette for $250? I have to say Carly takes better care of her bags then most adults, she babies them, wears them at appropriate times and has developed a love and taste for nice things. I am proud of that. She is also not spoiled or bratty, if she was they would be taken away.

If she is going to wear a handbag at 12, why not a chanel?-my 12 yr old grandsons have expensive motorized bikes, stereos, tv's playstations., all name brand items., why not a chanel bag for a 12 year old., chanel does not come with an age appropriate tag on it., I would rather see her with a refined, beautiful cambon pouchette than with one of those gawdy, sequined, feathered enhanced bags that they sell for 12 year olds.

I think that both Selena and Swanky said right things!! From one side buying a Chanel bag it's not cheap so it needs to have money to buy it, care of it etc from the other side having a PSP or a Chanel bag is the same - being honest we don't really need them like food or water or a house LOL
So I think she may buy a Chanel bag but something not too expensive or mature-looking. I think the Cambon pochette could be perfect, esp. if she finds not the black on black. However I would suggest a LV too, maybe a small denim bag :smile:

All the ladies have said it so well.. I just want to comment, it will be more fun to develop and grow with designers rather than shooting straight for Chanel at the age of 13...
Althought I wouldn't say Chanel is at the top of the designer line but without a doubt its high fashion, obivously if you can afford it get anything you want but a word of advice for a young girl like you, take it slow, you'll appreiate things a lot more in life.
Btw I'm 22...and I started with LV when I was 18...and now I'm completely over LV and phasing out of Chanel...so it doesn't take long to evolve but you'll learn sooo much more if you start with Coach or something and work your way up sweetie.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I have a 12-year old daughter, and the idea of her having a Chanel bag is just ... way beyond my comprehension. Granted, she is not into such things.

But if I were to even consider her having one, apart from questions of what style would look best on someone her age, I would be interested in the ethics of it.

I'd want to know that she understood how long it took the average person to earn the amount of money that went into that bag, and I'd want to make sure she was doing volunteer work and contributing some of her money to charities, not just to fashion. A 12-year old is still at the age where her values are being formed, and, this is just me, but I wouldn't want my daughter thinking wearing designer fashion is the only important thing.

hm, personally 12 seems a bit young to be carrying chanel... isn't that 8th-9th grade?

No! That's the thing.. 12 years old is 6th-7th grade! As a few others have said i'd recommend a LV pochette instead.. not even for the price so much as the sturdiness. I can't fathom a 12 year old taking care of the Chanel leathers.. I mean, i see plenty of girls my age who can't take care of their Cambons (i'm seventeen and a senior in HS) and have dented them and dirtied them and whatnot. And then to go along with what someone else said again-- where would you wear it? I really don't think it's appropriate for a 12 year old to carry a Chanel to school..

Status
Not open for further replies.