Celine Trifold Clutch on Chain Bag

I've got my eye on this bag so I'd like to know too!! I'd love to see what fits as well.
Okay, so I bought this bag and am not liking it. It’s quite large to use clutch-style (kind of looks like a men’s pouch, you know, the more masculine larger size pouches made for men). But for all its “size”, not much fits into it. I carry only a flat card holder (I put it in the back compartment), my iPhone plus and keys and key pouch go in the main compartment, and the outer compartment is empty.

The outer compartments are really only good for very flat things like a card holder or receipts. Since there is no depth at all to the outer compartments.

Also, the first thing I noticed when I took it out was the weight. The chain, though thin, is quite heavy. So even empty the bag is pretty heavy. I don’t think I can comfortably wear this bag on my shoulder or cross body for any long period of time because the chain is not comfortable. And heavy. Did I mention heavy?

Finally, I just didn’t feel like the bag looked flattering. It’s big and flat, and the ties looked kind of silly....I tucked them in, which was okay, but otherwise it’s a very plainly designed bag. In my opinion....also the leather has graining (even though it’s “smooth calf”) so there are streaks on it that look like scratches. I don’t think they are scratches, but it’s not pretty.

Finally, I’d heard that you could tie the strings together to bring the wings in, and change the look into a truly rectangular clutch. This didn’t work because the strings were too short! I could barely get them to knot. And then the knot took away from the already small amount of space in the main compartment. So no. No.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I don’t recommend this bag. I’m returning it!

Thank you @Annawakes - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but this is super helpful! And I really appreciate you taking the time to reply with your thoughts/experience.

I was looking into the trifold clutch as an everyday/take anywhere kinda bag, so to hear that the chain is heavy and that only flat items can fit means I'll pass. If I can't carry things like a small water bottle it just rules out my entire reasons for wanting it!

Thank you @Annawakes - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but this is super helpful! And I really appreciate you taking the time to reply with your thoughts/experience.

I was looking into the trifold clutch as an everyday/take anywhere kinda bag, so to hear that the chain is heavy and that only flat items can fit means I'll pass. If I can't carry things like a small water bottle it just rules out my entire reasons for wanting it!
Oh, for sure a small water bottle will not fit. Even if it did it’d be pretty painful to be toting it around with that chain cutting into your shoulder.

I was looking for a black, discreet, everyday bag that can go from day (running errands and shopping) to night (nice dinners out). Thought this fit the bill. But sadly, my search continues.

I like to carry a water bottle too, especially when I’m shopping at the mall.

Have you considered the Givenchy Pandora in small size? It’s a great every day bag and can fit a regular size water bottle. The strap is a bit long (if you’re not tall, that could be a problem). Also, it’s not “dressy” enough for my purposes, so I had it and sold it for something a bit “dressier”. Although....it can also be hand held, and in Pepe wrinkled leather it is very stylish.

Oh, for sure a small water bottle will not fit. Even if it did it’d be pretty painful to be toting it around with that chain cutting into your shoulder.

I was looking for a black, discreet, everyday bag that can go from day (running errands and shopping) to night (nice dinners out). Thought this fit the bill. But sadly, my search continues.

I like to carry a water bottle too, especially when I’m shopping at the mall.

Have you considered the Givenchy Pandora in small size? It’s a great every day bag and can fit a regular size water bottle. The strap is a bit long (if you’re not tall, that could be a problem). Also, it’s not “dressy” enough for my purposes, so I had it and sold it for something a bit “dressier”. Although....it can also be hand held, and in Pepe wrinkled leather it is very stylish.
I think you're right, as much as I love the look of the chain it probably isn't very practical!

It's funny, I never liked the look of the Givenchy Pandora but I seem to be running into it everywhere these days and my opinion on it has changed! I'm only 5'1"/155cm tall so it might not work but I will definitely look into it! Thank you for the recommendation :smile:

The other bag I've been looking into is the black Balenciaga city in classic hardware, but the only thing stopping me from buying it is the strap, specifically it not being long enough to be crossbody. I love having the option of being handsfree when I'm in a busy area (I work in London) and it feels safer for some reason??

I hope your continued search is more fruitful than mine! Fingers crossed for us both haha.

Okay, so I bought this bag and am not liking it. It’s quite large to use clutch-style (kind of looks like a men’s pouch, you know, the more masculine larger size pouches made for men). But for all its “size”, not much fits into it. I carry only a flat card holder (I put it in the back compartment), my iPhone plus and keys and key pouch go in the main compartment, and the outer compartment is empty.

The outer compartments are really only good for very flat things like a card holder or receipts. Since there is no depth at all to the outer compartments.

Also, the first thing I noticed when I took it out was the weight. The chain, though thin, is quite heavy. So even empty the bag is pretty heavy. I don’t think I can comfortably wear this bag on my shoulder or cross body for any long period of time because the chain is not comfortable. And heavy. Did I mention heavy?

Finally, I just didn’t feel like the bag looked flattering. It’s big and flat, and the ties looked kind of silly....I tucked them in, which was okay, but otherwise it’s a very plainly designed bag. In my opinion....also the leather has graining (even though it’s “smooth calf”) so there are streaks on it that look like scratches. I don’t think they are scratches, but it’s not pretty.

Finally, I’d heard that you could tie the strings together to bring the wings in, and change the look into a truly rectangular clutch. This didn’t work because the strings were too short! I could barely get them to knot. And then the knot took away from the already small amount of space in the main compartment. So no. No.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I don’t recommend this bag. I’m returning it!

Thanks so much for such an in-depth review! All of the things you mentioned are the same things I had said/thought previously about the bag. I think the shoulder straps are an important part of what gives the bigger tri-fold bag its uniqueness and when those are taken away it kind of looks plain/boring/strange. I also always thought the chain didn't fit the larger size of the bag/looked like it would uncomfortable to carry for longer periods of time and that's very interesting to know that such a thin, fragile-looking chain is also heavy. And given that the rings connecting the strap to the bag are also so thin, I don't think there would be any way to attach a different/larger strap to the bag unfortunately.

And given that the rings connecting the strap to the bag are also so thin, I don't think there would be any way to attach a different/larger strap to the bag unfortunately.

Yes, the rings (and the clasps on the chain) are very tiny. Actually, this was my first Celine bag and I wasn’t too impressed with the hardware. The clasps in the chain looked....well, inexpensive. They weren’t nice, substantial clasps with engraving (like Fendi, LV, and Givenchy- has no engraving either but the clasps are thick and substantial). Given the size, they probably couldn’t engrave it or anything, but it didn’t seem “luxury” to me. More like....dollar store clasps. Sorry this sounds so harsh! I was disappointed as this was my first Celine. Well, maybe I’ll try the nano luggage next time. Can that fit a bottle of water???? I’ll ask that in the nano thread.

Yes, the rings (and the clasps on the chain) are very tiny. Actually, this was my first Celine bag and I wasn’t too impressed with the hardware. The clasps in the chain looked....well, inexpensive. They weren’t nice, substantial clasps with engraving (like Fendi, LV, and Givenchy- has no engraving either but the clasps are thick and substantial). Given the size, they probably couldn’t engrave it or anything, but it didn’t seem “luxury” to me. More like....dollar store clasps. Sorry this sounds so harsh! I was disappointed as this was my first Celine. Well, maybe I’ll try the nano luggage next time. Can that fit a bottle of water???? I’ll ask that in the nano thread.

Shame that your first Celine bag was such a disappointment, I promise there are many good ones out there! I have had the nano and it is deceptively small and can actually fit quite a lot for its size. To fit a water bottle, it would need to be a smaller-sized one but it will fit one.

Reactions: Annawakes