Celine Le 16 Bag by Hedi Slimane

Aww, thank you! I really appreciate the tip on the length of the strap. I’m also thinking the classique would frankly look odd as a crossbody, if I were to get a strap custom made. I just wanted to make sure the small didn’t look silly on my larger frame!

Of course, I’ve coveted the Celine 16 for so long and I went into Neiman Marcus today, and they had a Chanel boutique. I tried on the Jumbo Double flap with the Caviar leather for fun, and I (shockingly) totally loved it. I see why it’s such a classic choice. I’m now having an identity crisis lol! I may need to go try on some more things before I pull the trigger on anything…I don’t aspire to be a collector and would prefer to have 1 bag to start.
Take your time! The 16 and the Classic flap are two very different bags. The only thing with Chanel is the price increases…which just gets more crazy as time goes on. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t rush your purchase. Especially if you are trying to limit your number of bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: sylvivia
Also, since you mentioned the mini 16, just know that it is very, very small.
I wanted to add some context to this part and snapped some photos of what fits inside my 16 mini:

- Phone (represented below by my similar-sized ereader because I'm taking the photo with my phone)
- Cardholder
- Lip tint
- Car key fob
- Granola bar
- Water bottle, the A7 memobottle
- 2 hand sanitizing wipes

When I want more space, I get rid of the cardholder and place the cards inside the middle zip pocket. Then I have extra room for my Inkpalm ereader, a small notebook, and a pen. (The bag is too small for a Kindle ereader.)

Overall, this fits much more than other mini bags because of its shape and depth. It even fits more than the giant Celine Chain Box Triomphe, which didn't have room for my water bottle due to its thinner depth. With that said, it is still a mini bag, so definitely evaluate if the size is right for what you personally carry. If it is, you'll love it; if not, try on the small and medium!

20230209_100700.jpg
20230209_100533.jpg

Last edited:
I already have the Triomphe tan wallet in natural leather. I don’t mind the large logo on the wallet, and had fully planned to get the Triomphe bag to coordinate.

But aside from my BV Jodie and my Celine small Big Bag, I have pretty obvious branding on all of my bags. I guess I was drawn by the 16 because the branding is not as obvious as it is on the Triomphe. I also love the silhouette of the 16 and the top handle. I have enough flap bags - don’t truly need another one.

I realized all of this the minute I started looking at the 16 in the boutique! In the past, I was underwhelmed by pics of the 16 on social media. Seeing it in person made it very clear to me. This happened to me one other time with the Chanel 19. That one I actively disliked before seeing it in person.

If it’s possible for you, go see the 16 in person. There are some truly beautiful details to this bag (as others have mentioned), like the side pleating and top handle. Also, since you mentioned the mini 16, just know that it is very, very small. The size difference between the small and the medium is also pretty significant. I am 5’4’, petite but not tiny, and the small looked fantastic proportionally and has plenty of room for what I carry in a day (which is not a lot, but also not super minimal).

I wanted to add some context to this part and snapped some photos of what fits inside my 16 mini:

- Phone (represented below by my similar-sized ereader because I'm taking the photo with my phone)
- Cardholder
- Lip tint
- Car key fob
- Granola bar

When I want more space, I get rid of the cardholder and place the cards inside the middle zip pocket. Then I have extra room for my Inkpalm ereader, a small notebook, and a pen. (The bag is too small for a Kindle ereader.)

Overall, this fits much more than other mini bags because of its shape and depth. It even fits more than the giant Celine Chain Box Triomphe, which didn't have room for my water bottle due to its thinner depth. With that said, it is still a mini bag, so definitely evaluate if the size is right for what you personally carry. If it is, you'll love it; if not, try on the small and medium!

View attachment 5713368
View attachment 5713367
Thank you both! The info/pics are really helpful. I don't have a boutique nearby so I'll only have the chance to try these bags when I travel. I'll give an update when I get to do that, though I don't think it will be very soon.

I'm 5'1 and also petite but not tiny. The medium Triomphe looked great on me and I like the size - I'm looking for something small but not mini. I used to have a nano luggage, which I liked the size of but hated the super long strap and found it a little boxy.

- Cardholder
- Lip tint
- Car key fob
- Granola bar

View attachment 5713368
View attachment 5713367
Wow! Not bad capacity for a mini bag! This is fun to see. One thing I should have mentioned is that in addition to being tiny, it’s also super cute! I love mini bags. :smile:

Reactions: sylvivia
Thank you both! The info/pics are really helpful. I don't have a boutique nearby so I'll only have the chance to try these bags when I travel. I'll give an update when I get to do that, though I don't think it will be very soon.

I'm 5'1 and also petite but not tiny. The medium Triomphe looked great on me and I like the size - I'm looking for something small but not mini. I used to have a nano luggage, which I liked the size of but hated the super long strap and found it a little boxy.
Glad it was helpful!

If you liked the medium Triomphe and are looking for something small but not mini, I think the small 16 matches your criteria better—but for sure worth trying them on in boutique whenever you have the chance to do that in the future. I don't have experience with the nano luggage but fortunately the 16 line isn't very boxy and has normal strap lengths. :amuse:

Wow! Not bad capacity for a mini bag! This is fun to see. One thing I should have mentioned is that in addition to being tiny, it’s also super cute! I love mini bags. :smile:
Agreed! You're definitely right that it's pretty mini though, it'll never fit more than its smaller capacity. That's why I love the larger versions too, and agree with all of your observations across the various sizes of the 16. :biggrin:

Does anyone know if the boutiques get the seasonal colours throughout the year? I'm debating about buying a small 16 in lipstick and the SA told me there's only 2 available in all of Europe, but I'd rather not have to buy it immediately...

Does anybody know if the mini 16 would fit an iPhone pro max (16 cm)?

I could not find any information about this and the last time I visited the boutique no mini size was available.

Thanks in advance

I’ve coveted the Celine 16 in the natural calf for ages.

I’m VERY tall (6’1) and was wondering what size you guys think works best for my frame - small vs. classique?

This would be my everyday bag, I WANT that rich patina. The small fit basically everything I carry…but is it just too petite?

View attachment 5708786

View attachment 5708785

Also - has anyone tried the new long straps they have? It’s annoying they don’t have measurements on the site but I’d love a longer strap for crossbody…I know this is the smooth calf but I’d otherwise get something custom made…
I think small looks amazing on you

Reactions: OCMomof3
Here is my Soft 16 medium in pebble, purchased while visiting Paris last week week.

49856F6E-55DE-4946-A4CF-EFE192F2B1FB_1_105_c.jpeg
71DF995A-A297-4302-A0AD-8842BA2350FA_1_105_c.jpeg
05EA18C5-8F2F-4C6A-8662-8F2FACFD8AE7_1_105_c.jpeg
5F7E60C9-1878-4A40-B54A-6AB9ED71F19C_1_105_c.jpeg

I was not familiar with this bag before, but fell in love as soon as I tried it on. I feel the Soft 16 has an easy, low-key elegance. Also a sensible bag - comfortable to carry with a secure flap, roomy divided interior, classic non-trendy design, and superb quality. Plus the price was only 2120 euros after detax.

Pebble is a lovely soft, warm taupey-gray. I had a hard time deciding between this one and the smooth leather in safari, both are beautiful. I love this bag.

I am thinking about getting the medium as a work bag. I pretty much only carry a small laptop, lipstick, keys and a small strap wallet. Thoughts on the medium as a work bag? I am also stuck on the color decision. I have too many black bags yet I lean towards black. Thoughts on gray? Would love to see your medium bag?

Reactions: dottiebbb
I am thinking about getting the medium as a work bag. I pretty much only carry a small laptop, lipstick, keys and a small strap wallet. Thoughts on the medium as a work bag? I am also stuck on the color decision. I have too many black bags yet I lean towards black. Thoughts on gray? Would love to see your medium bag?
I think the medium Soft 16 would make a great work bag! I work 100% remotely now, so carrying a laptop was not my consideration, but I tested the bag with my 13" MacBook Pro for you.

E9125698-3EBC-495D-8FEB-064A0E44E593_1_105_c.jpeg
C0EFD05F-6B6E-46CA-8639-13ADFFC10264_1_105_c.jpeg
As you can see in the photo, my laptop fits. Just barely, but it's not a tight squeeze, easy to get in and out. I don't think it would fit in a sleeve, though. I also have a large BV wallet, keys, gum, and a few lipsticks in there. The bag maintains its shape perfectly and is only a bit more stiff against the body. Still vey comfortable to carry on the shoulder. In the past I used my Ferragamo Sophia as a work bag, and I disliked how the weight of the laptop messed up the shape of the bag, which is not at all a problem with the Celine (photo below so you can see the difference).
0941529B-D587-427C-AF6E-D311BDFF40F0_1_105_c.jpeg
As for color, since I already have the Ferragamo in black, I did not try the 16 in black. The smooth leather is gorgeous in person, though. This gray is very versatile, warm-toned and with the very slightest rosy undertone, which I like. Looks good with both dark and light colors.

I hope this helps!

Here is my Soft 16 medium in pebble, purchased while visiting Paris last week week.

View attachment 5740411
View attachment 5740395
View attachment 5740409
View attachment 5740392

I was not familiar with this bag before, but fell in love as soon as I tried it on. I feel the Soft 16 has an easy, low-key elegance. Also a sensible bag - comfortable to carry with a secure flap, roomy divided interior, classic non-trendy design, and superb quality. Plus the price was only 2120 euros after detax.

Pebble is a lovely soft, warm taupey-gray. I had a hard time deciding between this one and the smooth leather in safari, both are beautiful. I love this bag.
Looks amazing ..love the classic 16 but this bag looks gorgeous too

Reactions: dottiebbb

View attachment 5740411
View attachment 5740395
View attachment 5740409
View attachment 5740392

Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, this makes me let go of the black.