Cautionary Tales...how not to do it!

Jan 11, 2010
This is sort of a take off of my regrets thread but its quite a bit different in that its about sharing the many ways of what NOT to do in life...aka clumsy things,stupid things,scary things,dangerous things, etc our brains were on hiatus at those moments in time.I think it could possibly be life saving and or life changing to share our oops! moments here with each other.

Experience #1

*Back when I worked in NYC in the wall street area as a receptionist I was pulled back abruptly from walking in front of a taxi cab by a stranger.That situation taught me to not be so focused on not looking at other people or my surroundings as much and to realize whats going on before you make a mistake that could cost you your life.

Experience #2

*I used to be a tomboy growing up (10 thru 14 yrs old) back in Nebraska and would build these masterful tree forts.Some were around 40 feet high and some were higher. After falling out of several trees and ending up passing out and then waking up not knowing where I was. I decided to stop climbing trees because it was becoming too dangerous for me to keep going.

Experience #3

*When I was 15 I had a Pucci moped of my own. I paid for it myself from babysitting money. Never should you excellerate on the gas if you are on gravel...BIG mistake!

Experience #4

Never shut your right hand pinky inside the car door when closing it. I was all excited to see my grandmother and wasnt looking at the door when I closed it while waving to her from across the street. OMG!!! the pain was excrutiating...I didnt break it but I did sprain it and they had to put it in a splint and told me not to bump that finger. My pinky finger was the size of a large carrot after it had gotten done blowing up.

Experience #5

Never touch the inside of an oven or a hot stove top without first using a pot holder.I know this is suppose to be common sense but its happened to me more times than I want to admit...LOL.

*I know I have more to share but need some time to think of them. If you have any tales to tell please share them with us. And TIA.:smile:

^ I can't either on outgoing flights. Coming home I usually can but when I'm going somewhere I'm just too excited, I've tried EVERYTHING to sleep on the plane, getting no sleep, getting too much sleep, sleeping pills, vino :P, nothing works! lol

Hmm well I guess I thought wrong when I started this thread...It turned out to be a total bust...Just figured it would be an educative type of thing...that we could learn from each other on things NOT to do in life.Sorry it turned out to be a boring subject...Ill let it die now.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and a BIG thank you to "Lady Stardust" for posting not once but twice on my thread...your a doll...:smile:

I have one!

There's a reason they only give you apple juice when you're taking Vicodin.

'Cause cranberry juice will make you nauseous! I learned that the hard way while recovering from spinal surgery.

I was home from the hospital, I had just taken some painkillers and chugged two glasses of cranberry juice. Then I . . . ran to the bathroom to throw up.

never...ever...ever use a push mower on damp grass, wearing slick bottom shoes while going up hill.

if you do the above, try your best to not kick the doctor in the face while he is burning a hole in your big toenail to relieve the pressure from a very ugly and throbbing hematoma. they don't appreciate it.

if you are a doctor, don't lie to the 15yr old girl and tell her that the hole you are about to burn into her toenail, that has just violated by a lawnmower blade, won't hurt.

** this is my 5000 post :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
I have one!

There's a reason they only give you apple juice when you're taking Vicodin.

'Cause cranberry juice will make you nauseous! I learned that the hard way while recovering from spinal surgery.

I was home from the hospital, I had just taken some painkillers and chugged two glasses of cranberry juice. Then I . . . ran to the bathroom to throw up.

*Just when I think Im done with this thread and they pull me back in...LMAO!!! I guess this thread has come back to life...thanks for breathing the life back into it...Holy Cow!!! I will have to remember that if I ever take Vicodin in the future. Because I love cranberry juice and drink it quite often. Thanks for the future heads up...And spinal surgery...ouch. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

never...ever...ever use a push mower on damp grass, wearing slick bottom shoes while going up hill.

if you do the above, try your best to not kick the doctor in the face while he is burning a hole in your big toenail to relieve the pressure from a very ugly and throbbing hematoma. they don't appreciate it.

if you are a doctor, don't lie to the 15yr old girl and tell her that the hole you are about to burn into her toenail, that has just violated by a lawnmower blade, won't hurt.

** this is my 5000 post :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

* Yah know I have to say that I truly feel honored to have you post your 5,000 POST:yahoo: here on my thread that was about to go into a ....COMA. :nuts:Thanks for helping bringing it back if only for a short while. Heck I wish it would make 5,000 posts but some things in life are not to be...LOL...And your story is one to remember...whoa!!! I dont like pain....ouch...cant even fathom the hole being burned into my toenail or the mower blade chopping my nail off. Hey this story does jog my memory a bit. I remember my uncle Glenn mowing and he tripped and fell and the mower went over his BIG toe and took it clean off. Had to go find it in the yard to bring with him to the hospital so they could stitch it back on for him. Must be careful not to trip over stuff in your yard while mowing.It was a lesson learned for him.:smile:

P.S. Umm the kicking of the doc in the face was payback...LOL..:biggrin:

In the wintertime, I know you're in a rush. I know there's some place you really need to be and I know it doesn't look like there's ice on the ground.

Sometimes there's not. But sometimes there is. You can walk quickly but please walk carefully and watch where you're going.

Two years ago, I didn't, and I stepped on the one teensy little patch of ice on the sidewalk. My feet flew out from under me and I landed on my left arm.

I ended up with a dislocated left shoulder and a fractured humerus.

(I ended up popping my own shoulder back into place. I was dreaming about something and jerked my left arm really hard. It hurt like a mother, but the shoulder was back where it should be.)

In the wintertime, I know you're in a rush. I know there's some place you really need to be and I know it doesn't look like there's ice on the ground.

Sometimes there's not. But sometimes there is. You can walk quickly but please walk carefully and watch where you're going.

Two years ago, I didn't, and I stepped on the one teensy little patch of ice on the sidewalk. My feet flew out from under me and I landed on my left arm.

I ended up with a dislocated left shoulder and a fractured humerus.

(I ended up popping my own shoulder back into place. I was dreaming about something and jerked my left arm really hard. It hurt like a mother, but the shoulder was back where it should be.)

*Thanks for your post. Ive had this happen before but was lucky enough to just get bruised. I wish that hadnt happened to you and it sounds really painful.This also happened in a pair of high heel black leather boots I wore several yrs ago. The floor was slippery in this store I was in and I went down...and yeah it hurts like hell...:smile: