Cautionary Tales...how not to do it!

Never ever let someone tell you not to be a 'backseat driver'. My mother always got so annoyed at me for telling her she was swerving or not stopping for a light, so I learned to shut up about it. Once it caused me and a friend to run a stop sign and flip her jeep which caught on fire and caused her to get 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 1/3 of her body. I was just too afraid she would be annoyed if I told her to stop...

Never ever let someone tell you not to be a 'backseat driver'. My mother always got so annoyed at me for telling her she was swerving or not stopping for a light, so I learned to shut up about it. Once it caused me and a friend to run a stop sign and flip her jeep which caught on fire and caused her to get 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 1/3 of her body. I was just too afraid she would be annoyed if I told her to stop...

*Holy Crap!!! I guess lesson learned...Always be a backseat driver...Thanks for sharing...:smile:

I diligently put up with my boyfriend being a backseat driver even though he doesn't really help, i.e. telling me to stop when I am already stopping. It can be annoying but maybe one day I'll drop the ball and he will actually help me. In the past I have been a backseat driver and stopped my mother from going over a speed bump at 50mph, as well as speeding past speed cameras numerous times! It still gets on her nerves though.

I diligently put up with my boyfriend being a backseat driver even though he doesn't really help, i.e. telling me to stop when I am already stopping. It can be annoying but maybe one day I'll drop the ball and he will actually help me. In the past I have been a backseat driver and stopped my mother from going over a speed bump at 50mph, as well as speeding past speed cameras numerous times! It still gets on her nerves though.

*I hear you and thanks for posting.And YES it can be very annoying but at the same time it does seem to help make a difference.:smile:

If your a parent, don't ever think those feet straps on child bike seats aren't worth the hastle of closing because your in a rush. As a 5 year old my leg got caught in the weel while going down hill.
Your kid could end up losing it's leg! (I ended up fine though after several months in plaster)
And during my childhood people could always tell by my wariness that I must have been in an accident.

If your a parent, don't ever think those feet straps on child bike seats aren't worth the hastle of closing because your in a rush. As a 5 year old my leg got caught in the weel while going down hill.
Your kid could end up losing it's leg! (I ended up fine though after several months in plaster)
And during my childhood people could always tell by my wariness that I must have been in an accident.

*So sorry that happened to you. Thanks for posting this info. It might just help someone to not make that same mistake.Im glad that your ok.Take care and be well.:smile:

Here is another mower story. Make sure your pets are in your house when you mow. A friend of mine's dog ran into hers while she are mowing and was hurt so severely she had to ask the vet to euthanize her. It was terrible.

Here is another mower story. Make sure your pets are in your house when you mow. A friend of mine's dog ran into hers while she are mowing and was hurt so severely she had to ask the vet to euthanize her. It was terrible.

*OMG!!! That is horrible indeed. So sorry for her loss.I have three dogs and none of them are allowed in the back yard when Im mowing,weed wacking, or leaf blowing. But when Im planting my rose bushes they love it. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

Lordy McHeavens, where do I begin? Most of my life is "what not to do"

--If your boss is the owner of the company and not a super wonderful person, don't walk into his office and tell him that he does a terrible job as a boss and that he's running his company into the ground. That is a fine thing to do AFTER you have found a new job, not BEFORE like I tried.

--If amazon.com says that it will take 2 months to ship your books even though it shouldn't and you need those books this week, DON'T just shrug and think the system will fix itself. It won't. You must cancel your order and call in.

--don't assume that the repair people are doing things right. I did that and it took 2 weeks for the repair guys to find a simple leak in the apartment above me. If I had monitored their doings it would not have raining in 12 spots in my apartment for 2 weeks.

--the Vicodin says "take with food" for a reason. I had an injury and took it on an empty stomach. My stomach then emptied itself several times.

--don't assume that you know what someone's job is. I worked somewhere and was told, "oh, she's the general manager's assistant." WRONG. She was the ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER. Big difference! Bad things happened because I didn't know not to assign her to do something for me.

--don't assume that people are normal and sane, particularly when they've had alcohol. They are probably crazy. They might be the fun kind of crazy or they might be the bad kind of crazy where you have to file a formal complaint against them.

Those are just the ones off of the top of my head. I've got a zillion. There are many things in life that you should not do. I've tried many of those.

Lordy McHeavens, where do I begin? Most of my life is "what not to do"

--If your boss is the owner of the company and not a super wonderful person, don't walk into his office and tell him that he does a terrible job as a boss and that he's running his company into the ground. That is a fine thing to do AFTER you have found a new job, not BEFORE like I tried.

--If amazon.com says that it will take 2 months to ship your books even though it shouldn't and you need those books this week, DON'T just shrug and think the system will fix itself. It won't. You must cancel your order and call in.

--don't assume that the repair people are doing things right. I did that and it took 2 weeks for the repair guys to find a simple leak in the apartment above me. If I had monitored their doings it would not have raining in 12 spots in my apartment for 2 weeks.

--the Vicodin says "take with food" for a reason. I had an injury and took it on an empty stomach. My stomach then emptied itself several times.

--don't assume that you know what someone's job is. I worked somewhere and was told, "oh, she's the general manager's assistant." WRONG. She was the ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER. Big difference! Bad things happened because I didn't know not to assign her to do something for me.

--don't assume that people are normal and sane, particularly when they've had alcohol. They are probably crazy. They might be the fun kind of crazy or they might be the bad kind of crazy where you have to file a formal complaint against them.

Those are just the ones off of the top of my head. I've got a zillion. There are many things in life that you should not do. I've tried many of those.

*Thanks so much for being a doll and posting all these items...I thought it was very informative of you to share these with us. And I dont know if you realized this but you DO have one hell of a great sense of humor about you...:graucho::biggrin: Be well...

P.S. If you do have any more that you can think of please do not hesitate to share more with us...:yahoo:

*Thanks so much for being a doll and posting all these items...I thought it was very informative of you to share these with us. And I dont know if you realized this but you DO have one hell of a great sense of humor about you...:graucho::biggrin: Be well...

P.S. If you do have any more that you can think of please do not hesitate to share more with us...:yahoo:

LOL, thanks! If I didn't have a sense of humor, my life would be TERRIBLE. At this point, its just funny.

I thought of some more:

--if you've allowed someone to be alone with your keys for more than 5 minutes out of your presence and you don't wish for that person to have a set of your keys, CHANGE YOUR LOCKS. Trust me. I was dating a guy and he had a key for a week or something because he helped me move into my new apartment. Well, a year later he mysteriously came back for a visit and now I'm missing stuff I liked. If only I had bothered to ask for new locks.

--I didn't do this one, I was on the receiving end, but I think it counts anyway. Don't send your wedding present thank-you's on myspace. I've known this guy since elementary school, so when he got married I sent him and his new wife a nice card and a check. 6 months after the wedding I never heard if they got it (I was out of state and couldn't attend the wedding) or anything. I tracked the wife down on myspace and asked if she had received it and sent her my mailing address, assuming that if the thank you wasn't sent, it was because of something like that. Nope. The reply I got back was "we got your gift" as a myspace message. Hmmmmm.

--If you don't speak Russian, don't ride the subway in Moscow drunk and alone. I got off on the complete wrong side of the city and then went for a walk for an hour. Yes, I made it back in one piece from that stroll but it was probably a very dangerous thing to do.

I'm sure I have a zillion of these from my study abroad experiences. I went to Russia and Mongolia. Imagine the adventures I had! Needless to say, my parents have lots of grey hair.

If you're travelling in a foreign country or if you travel in general, make sure you get a hotel room with a secure safe in it. Keep all your important travel documents and most of your money locked up in the safe.

It was a lucky thing my dad did that because a bad situation could have been a whole lot worse if he didn't:

My family and I were in Madrid. One night, we had finished dinner and were walking back to our hotel. My brother was walking with my mom. They were up the street ahead of us. I was walking with my dad.

I remember telling my dad that I had a feeling something might happen. He just finished telling me not to worry when someone bumped into him. The guy just kept overexaggerating the "lo siento"s and brushing him off.

Turns out, while he was doing that, someone else went into my dad's shirt pocket and got his wallet.

Once they had it, they took off running.

My dad figured out what was going on and took off after them.

In the end, they didn't get away with much. I think it was 20 bucks and a cash card they couldn't use.

LOL, thanks! If I didn't have a sense of humor, my life would be TERRIBLE. At this point, its just funny.

I thought of some more:

--if you've allowed someone to be alone with your keys for more than 5 minutes out of your presence and you don't wish for that person to have a set of your keys, CHANGE YOUR LOCKS. Trust me. I was dating a guy and he had a key for a week or something because he helped me move into my new apartment. Well, a year later he mysteriously came back for a visit and now I'm missing stuff I liked. If only I had bothered to ask for new locks.

--I didn't do this one, I was on the receiving end, but I think it counts anyway. Don't send your wedding present thank-you's on myspace. I've known this guy since elementary school, so when he got married I sent him and his new wife a nice card and a check. 6 months after the wedding I never heard if they got it (I was out of state and couldn't attend the wedding) or anything. I tracked the wife down on myspace and asked if she had received it and sent her my mailing address, assuming that if the thank you wasn't sent, it was because of something like that. Nope. The reply I got back was "we got your gift" as a myspace message. Hmmmmm.

--If you don't speak Russian, don't ride the subway in Moscow drunk and alone. I got off on the complete wrong side of the city and then went for a walk for an hour. Yes, I made it back in one piece from that stroll but it was probably a very dangerous thing to do.

I'm sure I have a zillion of these from my study abroad experiences. I went to Russia and Mongolia. Imagine the adventures I had! Needless to say, my parents have lots of grey hair.

*Wow thanks again for sharing.Mongolia wow now that sounds interesting too...:smile:

If you're travelling in a foreign country or if you travel in general, make sure you get a hotel room with a secure safe in it. Keep all your important travel documents and most of your money locked up in the safe.

It was a lucky thing my dad did that because a bad situation could have been a whole lot worse if he didn't:

My family and I were in Madrid. One night, we had finished dinner and were walking back to our hotel. My brother was walking with my mom. They were up the street ahead of us. I was walking with my dad.

I remember telling my dad that I had a feeling something might happen. He just finished telling me not to worry when someone bumped into him. The guy just kept overexaggerating the "lo siento"s and brushing him off.

Turns out, while he was doing that, someone else went into my dad's shirt pocket and got his wallet.

Once they had it, they took off running.

My dad figured out what was going on and took off after them.

In the end, they didn't get away with much. I think it was 20 bucks and a cash card they couldn't use.

*Wow you were all so lucky.Thanks for sharing...And good advice as well.:smile: