Workplace Career Burn Out?

I definitely understand what you are going through.

Long story short, I left my job of 4 years a while ago. Started as an associate, then promoted to an executive position and was in that for about 1.5 years. I only accepted the promotion for the raise, but I was miserable there before I accepted it. Started applying for jobs, and got so discouraged by the rejections or lack of money in offers, and just decided to try to make the job work. Then I started hating it even more a few months later when a new CFO came in and started running the company into the ground. Started applying at companies again and eventually got my dream career, literally. The ideal company, responsibilities and salary that are exactly wanted (after some negotiation,) and I am so grateful. No job or company is perfect, but I am so much happier where I am.

My point is, it's worth the hassle of searching, applications and the waiting game. We spend so much time at work and it's good to be content. It took me really over a year to get where i am, so please stick it out.

Hang in there, and I wish you the best of luck in your career search!

I truly admire your drive and your desire to move ahead but, and please forgive me for the bluntness - you just do not have the experience yet to move into a managerial role, be it accounts or people. It might be that your boss is trying to give you exposure through the admin work to the bigger picture. Try to focus on watching and learning as you do the admin work. It could be invaluable experience.

One of the pitfalls I have noticed is when people strive for the title and the power too quickly. Sometimes they actually get it before they are ready. And, while no one has ever said “Gypsy did grunt work for way too long” people certainly notice when someone gets the title and the responsibility and cannot handle it. That kind of stuff can follow you for a career and few people are interested in giving second chances or taking the risk on someone like that.

Keep being positive, try to learn as much as you can and, get as much exposure to the other senior members in the company. It maybe that one of them will give you a bit more responsibility when you are ready.

Reactions: Yoshi1296
OMG, if you think 1 year of doing scut work is enough, then forget about working -- at all. No matter who you are, as long as someone is above you, you will be asked to do scut work. My CMO does scut work for the CEO (she complains about it too :giggle: and even though she has the rest of the company below her, it is work she couldn't pass on to someone else). And I'm sure the CEO is bossed around by the Board.

Totally agree with @bagnshoofetish I suggest making the best of being your team lead's go-to guy (even for menial tasks). Do your job as a Marketing Associate in addition to being the Personal Assistant and do it well. And don't wait to be assigned work or responsibilities (btw, this tells me you are not ready to be a manager) initiate your own projects, develop your own ideas. You need to be essentially independent, contributing to your department and company with minimal input from others -- then you'll be ready to run a group.
Thanks!
I have been asking for more responsibilities, he hasn't provided me with many. And I have no way of initiating my own projects since he does not trust me to lead them in the same way my old manager did. I led an entire seasonal campaign, from helping design a temp logo even down to the push notification, I was able to present the results to the entire company with much praise with my old manager. I was given opportunities before but now I'm just not able to, it's like he's closed all doors for me to thrive and give it my all.

With ideas I contribute, he selects another employee to lead them and gives me the menial tasks to contribute to it. This happened last month for a fall campaign project we are working on currently.

But I agree, I am trying to make the best of it as hard as I can.

I am gonna tell you this. If you don't want to stay at your current job, keep applying and leave for another one. It can be worse or it can be better but this time you choose your boss to work for. I have to disagree with everyone saying that job jumping looks bad on your resume. To a similar .... younger mind manager, it is a good thing because it proves that you want to learn and keep moving instead of getting complacent. If someone didn't hire you because you jump job every year, then you dont want to work for that person. You jump job until you find the job and the boss you want to work for. It will not be a perfect job but it will be who you want to work with and work for. I was in the same boat where i had a really good boss and he retired. They picked the worst person in this world to be my boss and that moment I knew I had to get out. He never let me go to any training and made me work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I consistently applied for other jobs for almost a year and after hundreds of rejections ...... finally it happened. I was in hell for a year but I got out. If you dont start looking, it is likely you are gonna be in hell forever. Now that I am in this job doesn't mean I will stay in this job forever. I admire people stick with one company for their entire career and it's their choice to do so.

Thank you!
Yeah I agree about the job jumping thing. Nowadays it shows as a very good thing, especially when you're starting out. That is what I've heard from all my coworkers who are much older than me and experienced in my field.

I'm glad you were able to get out, I will try to be patient and search carefully.

I definitely understand what you are going through.

Long story short, I left my job of 4 years a while ago. Started as an associate, then promoted to an executive position and was in that for about 1.5 years. I only accepted the promotion for the raise, but I was miserable there before I accepted it. Started applying for jobs, and got so discouraged by the rejections or lack of money in offers, and just decided to try to make the job work. Then I started hating it even more a few months later when a new CFO came in and started running the company into the ground. Started applying at companies again and eventually got my dream career, literally. The ideal company, responsibilities and salary that are exactly wanted (after some negotiation,) and I am so grateful. No job or company is perfect, but I am so much happier where I am.

My point is, it's worth the hassle of searching, applications and the waiting game. We spend so much time at work and it's good to be content. It took me really over a year to get where i am, so please stick it out.

Hang in there, and I wish you the best of luck in your career search!

Thank you!! I totally agree. I'm glad you found your dream job, I hope to do that one day.

I truly admire your drive and your desire to move ahead but, and please forgive me for the bluntness - you just do not have the experience yet to move into a managerial role, be it accounts or people. It might be that your boss is trying to give you exposure through the admin work to the bigger picture. Try to focus on watching and learning as you do the admin work. It could be invaluable experience.

One of the pitfalls I have noticed is when people strive for the title and the power too quickly. Sometimes they actually get it before they are ready. And, while no one has ever said “Gypsy did grunt work for way too long” people certainly notice when someone gets the title and the responsibility and cannot handle it. That kind of stuff can follow you for a career and few people are interested in giving second chances or taking the risk on someone like that.

Keep being positive, try to learn as much as you can and, get as much exposure to the other senior members in the company. It maybe that one of them will give you a bit more responsibility when you are ready.

Thank you! That is exactly what I am trying to do now. I'm thinking of working with the CTO on developing a new project, which hopefully my manager does not shut down like my last project.

Her boss might just be a toxic personality and is not really trying to teach her anything. In that case, there is no point in staying.
"Signs You're in a Toxic Work Environment — and How to Handle It"
https://ca.topresume.com/career-advice/how-to-handle-toxic-work-environment

He is definitely toxic, but personality aside I truly do not think he is a good manager at all. Thank you for the article, it was a great read!

Reactions: jess236
You sound like you have your head on straight.
I think you’ll be fine no matter what.
To clarify, when I cautioned you against job jumping I meant to not bail at the first sign of unhappiness. You will never be 100% happy at any job - there are always pros and cons. I’ve been at my dream job for 17 years now and it still has its challenging moments.
Just give everything you do the utmost chance and never, ever burn bridges. People always seem to reappear where you’d least expect!

Last edited:
I have been in the work force for 35 years. At only one company did they ever give their employees accolades, and those I received in the form of a plastic measuring spoon, a bottle opener, a plastic letter opener, etc. I also received a few blue ribbons. Usually we just perform in order to make the company money (a hospital). No matter what we do or how well we do it, they want to know the stats and how much money we are making off the patients all day. We have meetings and take phone calls all day to give updates to administration. This is your medical care. I don’t feel I am doing the job that I signed up for. But I do what I am supposed to do. Hopefully one day I will find a fulfilling job, but I am much closer to retirement than to moving “up the ladder.” We expect to be “happy,” but I don’t think that is reality. Most of my family has tried to make me see that reality, based on their experiences as well. I am a bit older than you, and I feel that younger generations expect to feel job satisfaction and contentment. I don’t think this is what most people in this world experience though. You are either working for somebody else and making them money, or you are the owner of the company, in which case you have a lot of stress trying to manage the people beneath you and hoping they will work hard enough to make you money.

I agree with the others who advised to just do whatever your boss asks you to do and make him happy. Eventually, maybe he will get hired for another job. Then you will appear to be a pro to the next boss that comes along. And eventually you will get a good recommendation and move up or move to another company. Work with all your heart. Don’t work hard for your boss. Work for your inner peace, for the knowledge that it will pay off in the end, and for good karma. There is a Bible verse kind of like that, and although not everybody believes in the Bible, I still think it is a great lesson.

**almost all my posts are edited because I go back and proofread haha!

Last edited:
....I am so much happier where I am...

It took me really over a year to get where i am, so please stick it out.

Only ONE year????!!!!? ONE???!!!!

Wow, I’ve been working my tail off for over 35 years, have 3 degrees, and am about to go back again for another one that is required for my job. I have been with this employer for 6 years. I was with my last one for 5 years. I am basically still a peon in a miserable slave job (a professional in the medical field) even though I receive compliments and awards.

You sound like you have your head on straight.
I think you’ll be fine no matter what.
To clarify, when I cautioned you against job jumping I meant to not bail at the first sign of unhappiness. You will never be 100% happy at any job - there are always pros and cons. I’ve been at my dream job for 17 years now and it still has its challenging moments.
Just give everything you do the utmost chance and never, ever burn bridges. People always seem to reappear where you’d least expect!

Thank you! I do think I'll be fine too, but I do want to work towards my dream job like how you did. Hopefully one day! I will never burn bridges, that is definitely not my goal at all. I have a very unique opportunity that this company provided me and i'm forever grateful for that.

I have been in the work force for 35 years. At only one company did they ever give their employees accolades, and those I received in the form of a plastic measuring spoon, a bottle opener, a plastic letter opener, etc. I also received a few blue ribbons. Usually we just perform in order to make the company money (a hospital). No matter what we do or how well we do it, they want to know that stats and how much money we are making off the patients all day. We have meetings and take phone calls all day to give updates to administration. This is your medical care. I don’t feel I am doing the job that I signed up for. But I do what I am supposed to do. Hopefully one day I will find a fulfilling job, but I am much closer to retirement than to moving “up the ladder.” We expect to be “happy,” but I don’t think that is reality. Most of my family has tried to make me see that reality from their experiences. I am a bit older than you, and I feel that younger generations expect to feel job satisfaction and contentment. I don’t think this is what most people in this world experience though. You are either working for somebody else and making them money, or you are the owner of the company, in which case you have a lot of stress trying to manage the people beneath you and hoping they will work hard enough to make you money.

I agree with the others who advised to just do whatever your boss asks you to do and make him happy. Eventually, maybe he will get hired for another job. Then you will appear to be a pro to the next boss that comes along. And eventually you will get a good recommendation and move up or move to another company. Work with all your heart. Don’t work hard for your boss. Work for your inner peace, for the knowledge that it will pay off in the end, and for good karma. There is a Bible verse kind of like that, and although not everybody believes in the Bible, I still think it is a great lesson.

Thank you! You make very good points and I promise to work with all my heart and give this job my 100%. I'm gonna make sure my boss is jealous of my work ethic! haha!

Reactions: bagnshoofetish
I agree that should a better opportunity come along, he should take it. Until then though, do your best work for tha jerk. haha!

I am gonna tell you this. If you don't want to stay at your current job, keep applying and leave for another one. It can be worse or it can be better but this time you choose your boss to work for. I have to disagree with everyone saying that job jumping looks bad on your resume. To a similar .... younger mind manager, it is a good thing because it proves that you want to learn and keep moving instead of getting complacent. If someone didn't hire you because you jump job every year, then you dont want to work for that person. You jump job until you find the job and the boss you want to work for. It will not be a perfect job but it will be who you want to work with and work for. I was in the same boat where i had a really good boss and he retired. They picked the worst person in this world to be my boss and that moment I knew I had to get out. He never let me go to any training and made me work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I consistently applied for other jobs for almost a year and after hundreds of rejections ...... finally it happened. I was in hell for a year but I got out. If you dont start looking, it is likely you are gonna be in hell forever. Now that I am in this job doesn't mean I will stay in this job forever. I admire people stick with one company for their entire career and it's their choice to do so.

One thing I've noticed is that if you're even 'considering' leaving, start applying. I'm in the mindset of always looking for opportunities. I can always say no, but opportunities will never just be handed to me when I'm 'ready' for them. The job looking process takes a long time, especially with more experience you have. The application, interview, hiring, background, etc start to finish from one seat of a job to another can take months, even up to a year. A lot of my colleagues just openly apply consistently whenever they see jobs 'come up' so that they're still in the 'interview game' even when they are happy at their current role. By the time you are 'ready' to leave and apply for a new job it's too late because you expect the change NOW, when you've just started the process.

I think it is really great you are highly motivated. However, if there is one thing I have learned in the workplace, it is that your degree and the path you take at work actually don’t line up. Your degree gives you the basic skills to get your foot in the door, but work is where the real learning happens.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but it comes across as arrogant when you say you don’t want to do the work your boss assigns you because of your degree. You are just starting out and the most important characteristic you can have to succeed is your attitude. I think you should continue to work hard and knock it out of the park on whatever tasks you are given. Of course, continue to ask for additional responsibility but don’t let that consume you. Be humble, work hard and prove your worth and you will rise to the top.

Also, please remember that no one has ever risen to the top within a year or two of starting out.

I am also old guard but my advice is a bit different. I have been that cream that raises to the top through hard work, excellence and never saying no. I see a new generation who is less prepared to take bull**** and while I often hear my peers moaning their 'lack of ambition' or non-realistic expectations, I say: good for you.

Plus, many bosses are afraid of excellence and will try to put down their good workers instead of helping them grow. In many a corporate environment and the way things have been in the last couple of decades, a lot of not so competent people are in positions of power. So that may be happening to you.

Now, what I have learnt over the years is that life moves at an increasingly fast speed and it is too short, far too short, to put up with stuff you don't need to put up with. If you are really suffering with your situation at work, look for a way out. We think we are stuck when most of the time we aren't. Stuck is having to work day and night in a sweatshop to bring some rice to your kids at night. You have options. Explore all of them, even the ones that may look absurd. The mere fact of focusing your mind on that and feeling there is air beyond your situation will make you feel better. Something that you could do is get a coach to help you through that process. If you cannot afford it look at coach certification programs where students offer for free coach sessions that they need to do to get their certification.

You are young, you work hard, you are smart, you are able to articulate your feelings. You will be fine.

One thing I've noticed is that if you're even 'considering' leaving, start applying. I'm in the mindset of always looking for opportunities. I can always say no, but opportunities will never just be handed to me when I'm 'ready' for them. The job looking process takes a long time, especially with more experience you have. The application, interview, hiring, background, etc start to finish from one seat of a job to another can take months, even up to a year. A lot of my colleagues just openly apply consistently whenever they see jobs 'come up' so that they're still in the 'interview game' even when they are happy at their current role. By the time you are 'ready' to leave and apply for a new job it's too late because you expect the change NOW, when you've just started the process.

I agree, I will continue to look for opportunities. Thank you!

I think it is really great you are highly motivated. However, if there is one thing I have learned in the workplace, it is that your degree and the path you take at work actually don’t line up. Your degree gives you the basic skills to get your foot in the door, but work is where the real learning happens.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but it comes across as arrogant when you say you don’t want to do the work your boss assigns you because of your degree. You are just starting out and the most important characteristic you can have to succeed is your attitude. I think you should continue to work hard and knock it out of the park on whatever tasks you are given. Of course, continue to ask for additional responsibility but don’t let that consume you. Be humble, work hard and prove your worth and you will rise to the top.

Also, please remember that no one has ever risen to the top within a year or two of starting out.

Hi there, thanks! I do agree that it comes off as arrogant, it just upsets me that I spent so much money in college to get a degree and it does nothing for me in the workplace. And I agree that most of the learning happens in the workplace, which is why I'm so upset. I'm not learning much at all right now under this new manager, anyone can do menial tasks and it does not require much skill, which is why I'm having a "wtf" moment at work.

Also I definitely have a can-do attitude at work, I haven't been upset, angry, rude, or said no to him at all, so attitude is def not the issue here so I should be ok.

And yes 2 years of experience does not guarantee a rise to the top, but I would just like to be recognized as a valuable asset to the team rather than be asked to vacuum the conference room (yes he asked me to do that and I did it). But also, my company operates much differently and there were associates like me who have received (and still are) managers after just having 1 year experience.

I am also old guard but my advice is a bit different. I have been that cream that raises to the top through hard work, excellence and never saying no. I see a new generation who is less prepared to take bull**** and while I often hear my peers moaning their 'lack of ambition' or non-realistic expectations, I say: good for you.

Plus, many bosses are afraid of excellence and will try to put down their good workers instead of helping them grow. In many a corporate environment and the way things have been in the last couple of decades, a lot of not so competent people are in positions of power. So that may be happening to you.

Now, what I have learnt over the years is that life moves at an increasingly fast speed and it is too short, far too short, to put up with stuff you don't need to put up with. If you are really suffering with your situation at work, look for a way out. We think we are stuck when most of the time we aren't. Stuck is having to work day and night in a sweatshop to bring some rice to your kids at night. You have options. Explore all of them, even the ones that may look absurd. The mere fact of focusing your mind on that and feeling there is air beyond your situation will make you feel better. Something that you could do is get a coach to help you through that process. If you cannot afford it look at coach certification programs where students offer for free coach sessions that they need to do to get their certification.

You are young, you work hard, you are smart, you are able to articulate your feelings. You will be fine.

Thank you! I'm definitely trying to keep him content as much as possible by not saying no. I totally agree, most people in higher power tend to lose their thunder, and are usually very incompetent on many cases.

I will definitely explore all my options and remain aware and open to better opportunities. I'm in no rush to leave, but I'm casually open and searching for a better job if anything does come around.

Reactions: doni