Can you REALLY afford LV - or are you fakin'?

I agree with the collector and the passion part. In one LV book I read they talked about someone who "collected 183 (don't know exact number) of Louis Vuitton's over his lifetime. And, that was so cool. It was one of his big accomplishments because he was a collector, loved quality and knew everything about it, I don't care if it's LV's or lowriders, it's all about passion, and everyone on this board definately has it, even for a little cles. It's awesome! totally.

I understand what you're saying, and it all depends on the person. A wealthy person doesn't mean that money = intellegence. All money is is just money, and it's all spent the same way. Someone who gets what they like, will of course want to know more about what they're buying, so they're gonna do their research. Just like someone who loves the game of basketball. They're gonna want to study the best players, and do their research. It all has to do with how much "in love" someone is with something.

I also remember every dollar amount that I've paid for everything and when I bought it. It's really weird. I mean, it's bazarre. Last year, my pipes broke and I lost my whole office and library, I went through book by book and itemized for insurance and remembered the price of everything...wow. I guess, that's because I've worked really hard for everything... it's hard to remember prices of LV's though, because they change so fast, the price increases. Anyway... yeah, some people aren't into it, but I definately am, the problem is with me, it's never enough, and that's scary.. back to the ban thread....:sad:

I get what you mean. :yes: I think it's the PASSION that we, as bag lovers have, that make us naturally research on the info of our bags because bags are our number one interest! :P

Like, for example we are not really THAT into IT gadgets, but everyone carries a mobile phone, so we'll need one anyway. Before we buy one, some might research, some might not and just purchase one that we think the most fashionable looking, or most compact, or said to have more features, or the newly released, etc. So then when people said, "Wow, I love your N70, W800i, K750", or whatever codes it is, you'll go like, "Huh?" coz you know it's a Nokia, Motorola, etc, but would you even bother to remember the model code if you are not THAT IT savvy? Well, just an example. :shrugs:

Haha I am a gadget nerd so I can tell u ANYTHING about phones, and gadgets (i.e N70 is a 2megapixel smartphone, and the w800 and K750 are last years flagship sonyericsson the W800i is the first sony walkman phone and the k750 is the 2 megapixel camera phone with autofocus (altho W800i has it as well) haha but to answer your question, I dont usually say this but I will because it has to do with the question at hand, but I do have a wealthy family but its just a hobby for me so I do know (much like the ladies said said it is just a hobby irregardless of wealth) alot about gucci and LV and the names etc. My mom on the other hand has been wealthy all her life (my grandfather was worth ALOT) and is very classy, she HATES logos, we were in LV the other day and she was only looking at epi and suhali, and at gucci she only buys things in plain leather (not even guccissisma), my father however was poor all his life and has worked his way up to become the man he is and basically is careful with his money, As I belive Irene said he wouldnt be where he is w/o saving and working hard all his life, but he himself has become quite the LV fanatic but he does stay price concious even tho he could pretty much buy anythign he wants. He is strict with money but generous when he feels its neccessary (bdays and special events, high marks for me and my borther etc.) so it depends on every1 but if you are a paris hilton then these ppl are the ones with no value for money, however that is until they run everything into the ground.

The entire US marketing strategy has been so successful because people care about brands. It's a way to display that you have "made it". Take automobiles. Toyota created the Lexus brand solely to market to wealthy people who one; could afford it, and two wanted to differentiate themselves. The LS460 is actually labeled "Toyota" in Japan. The same with diamonds. With the law of supply and demand, diamonds should be worth the price of a tank of gas, but because of the marketing strategy, anything less than a carrot is a vegetable. There are a lot more people walking around with diamonds worth the prices of a car to display wealth (or affection) than there are LVs.

Also, before I joined this forum, I just went to the boutique and said, I'll take that one. It's the same as automobile enthusiast. They will walk up to my car and say, WOW! That thing has XYZ with ### horsepower and I look at them and say....what?

My opinion is two fold: 1) the old lady with the Alma didn't just end up with it (meaning she was shopping in high end stores so something did matter), and 2) people enjoy and are passionate about different things, rich or poor, be it cars, diamonds, golf, baseball trading cars, purses, etc...

I am no where to being rich "yet" (i intend to be someday) lol..but i dont buy the mono just to have it screat out LV to everyone! :smile: I think people just buy what they want wether your rich or poor.

I'll tell you my answer: I do lots and lots of research before I actually buy a bag and it'll be months before I'll be able to get it. I like LV purses because they symbolize my hard earned money and such. But I don't want to have a purse addiction that causes me to have a whole bunch of purses and then no house to live in. :hrmm:

i totally agree with you!!! :nuts::yes:

It does, but if you noticed must of the people who born rich does not care how much something cost, they don't even bother too look at the tags when purchasing something, because they grow up having all.. the other type of rich people are the ones that worked their way up and they know poor and even if they have all the money now, they still look at tags and make faces when things are overpriced, they look at details perhaps names, quality etc.. however there are always exceptions to any rule, but most likely it falllows that pattern.
I am not rich at all, however I work hard for things I like, so you darn right I will be looking for names, price, style etc.
In the other hand..there are people that collect things and they do know exact details about their collection, not matter what kind of rich or poor, collecting is a passion and when you have a passion you know everything about it.

I totally agree with you!

Obviously if you buy authentic LV you can afford it. The only way to fake it is to buy fakes so, I suppose if you buy fakes then you are fakin it. Monogram is beautiful, it is unfortunate that you have such a negative impression of mono canvas and MC. Mono canvas does not look rich IMO but, it has a special quality...it reminds me of the old mono trunks and they are gorgeous. Would love some older mono trunks....sooo nice!!!

Question: If I drive a BMW, wear rock and republic jeans and carry monogram canvas bags are you going to think badly of me? If you can afford it are you fakin it? Hope not...wear what you love and can afford. When I carry a mono canvas handbag or MC I do it for me and because I love it....what another person thinks is insignificant. Many people do not appreciate mono canvas which is fine. If you carry mono canvas to impress others then you would be considered a poser. Also mono canvas is durable and made to last if cared for so, if you calculate the amount of wear that you will get out of it, it actually is good value especially if you love it. Hope that your impression of mono canvas is simply because it does not appeal to you. Do not care what others think or let it dictate your purchases. Follow your handbag heart it will guide you. Instinctively I know what I like and do not and no person can really impose their thoughts on me.

Dusty Paws, did you see my question I asked a few days ago, I forgot which tread it was under? I was asking what the bag is in your signature? Looks like speedy but not sure? Tks.

I think there are a lot of posers out there who like to keep up with the Jones and buy things they can't afford. Maybe I'm one of them when it comes to bags, but then not everything else.
I have a feeling "rich" people come in varieties, some who are very money conscious and others who are less. We were watching a show about stock traders and one of them said you have to have 10 million dollars in the bank to be upper middle class. That blew my mind, I think it might be difficult to define rich.

^ it's true, it's all relative.
Anyow, just like there's some wealthy people that blow money, there's as many unwealthy that do it as well.
It's not a money thing, it's an individual thing IMO.

I am guessing people with "disposable income" you are all referring to, who can spend any money on useless objects without looking at the price tags, are the neuvo riche (people that inherited $$$, won the lottery, etc.). I don't think people who actually EARNED their fortunes would EVER go and fork out X amount of $$$ without thinking that purchase through (be it $1000.00 bag or $100,000.00 car)! They didn't get wealthy by flushing their $$$ down the toilet!

I have to disagree when it comes to your definition of nouveau riche- the term nouveau riche generally applies to anyone who is newly rich- including those who made their own money- that don't have the experience with the finer things in life that someone who grew up with wealth might have.

Monogram is beautiful, it is unfortunate that you have such a negative impression of mono canvas and MC. Mono canvas does not look rich IMO but, it has a special quality...it reminds me of the old mono trunks and they are gorgeous. Would love some older mono trunks....sooo nice!!!

Question: If I drive a BMW, wear rock and republic jeans and carry monogram canvas bags are you going to think badly of me? When I carry a mono canvas handbag or MC I do it for me and because I love it....what another person thinks is insignificant. Many people do not appreciate mono canvas which is fine. If you carry mono canvas to impress others then you would be considered a poser. Also mono canvas is durable and made to last if cared for so, if you calculate the amount of wear that you will get out of it, it actually is good value especially if you love it. Hope that your impression of mono canvas is simply because it does not appeal to you.

JMHO but I personally don't think that the thread starter actually have a negative or bad impression of the mono or MC design. The question posted is merely to gather some opinions and different insights to this subject. :shrugs:

Every person is unique and has different reasons to why they purchase certain designs and not the other. It is undeniable that there are some people out there who purchase the mono because it is so obviously LV (and some who avoided it because of that). Well, there is two way of seeing this matter, no right or wrong. Not judging their intention but some people would think that it's not worth buying if the design doesn't "scream" LV coz if people don't even know your bag is LV, why do you need to spend so much money on it? Some people on the other hand, prefers mono coz it's the signature LV print. If you are to buy your first LV, what's better than buying their signature design, right?

Well, my point is, I love topics like this which triggers a great discussion and insights to different perceptions. I don't think it's neccessary to get all work up and defensive towards the mono print or MC. :flowers: I love mono and MC too! :P