Can I protect the red on Louboutin soles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed a thin layer of clear gloss polyurethane Minwax on the bottom of my new pumps. (The stuff you coat your hardwood floors with). It works like a dream! I figured I'd give it a try before the first outside wear & before the bottoms get completely scuffed. I am amazed at the durability. I'm sure I'll need to keep applying after each wear, but it will be worth it if I can keep that fantastic red!

I doubt it will work if you have worn your shoes before, (it's like the principle of applying more nail polish on top of a nail that's already chipped, you need a clean and smooth surface!), but it may be worth a try! Hope that helps!

I bought some Diamond finish Varathane, and put a coat on tonight. I'll do a few more coats prior to wearing. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

where can i buy these finish? at the hardware store?

I bought it at Home Depot--it should be available at any hardware store that carries paint and stain. It doesn't smell bad, and the clean-up is with water. I have two coats on so far, and it's completely clear. One coat to go, and then the test run! Note: It says to let it cure for a week after the final coat before walking on it--normally this applies to floors, not shoes! :nuts:

I placed a thin layer of clear gloss polyurethane Minwax on the bottom of my new pumps. (The stuff you coat your hardwood floors with). It works like a dream! I figured I'd give it a try before the first outside wear & before the bottoms get completely scuffed. I am amazed at the durability. I'm sure I'll need to keep applying after each wear, but it will be worth it if I can keep that fantastic red!

I doubt it will work if you have worn your shoes before, (it's like the principle of applying more nail polish on top of a nail that's already chipped, you need a clean and smooth surface!), but it may be worth a try! Hope that helps!

That's a genius idea! I went out and bought some Minwax today. Got a very funny look when I explained what it was for! How many coats do you put on? I think I'll try a couple, or three! Haven't worn my brand new Louboutins outside yet because I hate the thought of taking the red off!

Not that I've found, at least I haven't had any trouble walking on my very slippery tiled floor! If anything they're less slippery now. Make sure you let it really dry though. like at least a couple days depending how many coats you put on. :smile:

Mmm, although I did a road test and the Minwax peels off the red leather quite easily. Wore a little of the red off, I really should have waited for my sole protectors!:sad:

Harrods in London have a Christian Louboutin Red Sole Renewal Repair service where they will renew/repair your red soles in about a week and they come back looking brand new on the soles. The only thing is that you have to purchase them at Harrods to have them do it for you.

Would be good to find out if the Louboutin stores do the same thing (even for a fee) and who they use!

Mmm, although I did a road test and the Minwax peels off the red leather quite easily. Wore a little of the red off, I really should have waited for my sole protectors!:sad:

Too bad. I was hoping that this would work. I was planning on doing the same thing. I think I will try the foot petals. I've already worn the red off a pair of CL I bought about 2 yrs ago, no hope for her now I guess.

I'm a CL freak and it drives me crazy that the red wears off so quickly. I bought the Footpetals shoe savers in Clear and they are an enormous sole-saver.
The only problem is that the SoleStoppers are big enough to protect the outer rims of the soles (which is what wears first on me). So, I do a cut-and-paste with the SoleStoppers to make sure the entire sole is covered. It works great.

I'm a CL freak and it drives me crazy that the red wears off so quickly. I bought the Footpetals shoe savers in Clear and they are an enormous sole-saver.
The only problem is that the SoleStoppers are big enough to protect the outer rims of the soles (which is what wears first on me). So, I do a cut-and-paste with the SoleStoppers to make sure the entire sole is covered. It works great.

ooh, good idea! How many solestoppers do you end up using?
I think YSL does a nail varnish that's a similar colour to the red... :/ I wonder where you can get the original red lacquer from. it really _hurts_ when I see the red get rubbed off!

Status
Not open for further replies.