Can I please get some legal advice? Shoplifting charge pressed against me by...

i know my post will not be popular but its how I think others may see this situation. Look at it this way...if you had a store and someone took an item that was a meaningless thing, with no value and was not for sale and just took it and left the store...if this happened all day long, it may be a box, it may be a pen, or a paper clip...an eraser, a roll of paper, etc....by the end of the day these things add up. its going to cost "someone" money and its always the business owner. The store may have overreacted but maybe it happens all the time to them and your taking the box may have been the last straw. Why didnt you just ask for the manager and say you would like to have the box and would it be ok with him if you took it? or even to have paid for it? which they probably would have said to just take it, its ok.

I am sorry this has happened to you!!!!! Go to the Dean first thing tomorrow morning and get it all cleared!!!! Best of luck to you!

I've never heard anyone being accused over stealing an empty cardboard box! How ridiculous!

Gosh, thanks so much for your support guys. I actually CRIED in the director's office! I felt really bad and kept apologizing for "inconveniencing the bookstore" because he wouldn't let up on my attitude problem. Dang, probably shouldn't have admitted I cried over something so silly.

How bad would it suck for my future employer to ask me to explain my shoplifting charge?! lol

CrazyBagLady said:
i know my post will not be popular but its how I think others may see this situation. Look at it this way...if you had a store and someone took an item that was a meaningless thing, with no value and was not for sale and just took it and left the store...if this happened all day long, it may be a box, it may be a pen, or a paper clip...an eraser, a roll of paper, etc....by the end of the day these things add up. its going to cost "someone" money and its always the business owner. The store may have overreacted but maybe it happens all the time to them and your taking the box may have been the last straw. Why didnt you just ask for the manager and say you would like to have the box and would it be ok with him if you took it? or even to have paid for it? which they probably would have said to just take it, its ok.

No no, I completely see your point. I admit (and admitted to the bookstore) it was a STUPID lapse of judgment. We just didn't even think to ask (hence bringing it up to the register, buying our items, and leaving). I apologized profusely for my stupidity, which is about all I could do at that point. I also offered to replace the box, but I was fined the $200 instead.

soshesaid said:
I'd suggest meeting with your attourney. It sounds like an unfounded charge to me, but I'm not qualified to give legal advice. I hope everything sorts itself out!

All you have to do is have an attorney fire off a letter threatening mental distress and blah blah blah and they will back down, seek a ridiculous amount of damages (Your not after money just for it to be removed and files dropped). You have to get this off your record.

I would contact judicial affairs at your school immediately! They usually have lawyers/representatives available for students to help out with these types of cases.
If you are having a formal charge filed against by a police department (and yes, campus police counts), then I would suggest that you try to get an attorney (maybe your parents can help).
I would also contact the Dean...but check with judicial affairs first!

BTW....I had a similar thing happen to me....I was accused of selling my football tickets on ebay (which I didn't!!!)....and the penalty was loss of ticket privileges for 5 years (which is huge deal at my school) and possibly other fines, etc. I IMMEDIATELY contacted the person who wrote to me, then I wrote a detailed letter explaining the situation and sent it to the person to cover my a$$.

I'm sure it will all work out!!!!

I kinda agree and disagree with the whole situation. This situation seems totally weird to me. I feel that there are some missing facts...

1) If the box are those tube like box for posters, i don't know why you will think its free (even though it has no price tags, nothing on the tube) ?? those tube boxes are sold everywhere in bookstores. So i thought its just common knowledge that its something for sale. Don't matter if you are using it for school project or for personal use.

BUT (giving you benefit of the doubt that maybe you get distracted)
2) if the cashier saw you taking it to the register, i am also amazed why she will not charge you for it? or offer to ring it up?

3) Who in the heck go through the video surveillance of the bookstore everyday? THat looks like an awful lot of work. And the "detective" has to match the camera at the register (to see if you pay for the goods) vs the camera at the door (to see you leave the premises with unpaid goods)? besides, how would they know that if you came into the store with the tube in your hands already? (meaning, maybe you bought it a couple of hours before? and returning back to get something else? etc etc?) Looks like someone is out to get you.

Nonetheless, do have a talk with the Dean and i am sure he'll be able to hear you out and clear up this misunderstanding?

Good luck girl. We are rooting for you. :heart:

Superbaby said:
I kinda agree and disagree with the whole situation. This situation seems totally weird to me.
1) If the box are those tube like box for posters, i don't know why you will think its free (even though it has no price tags, nothing on the tube) ?? those tube boxes are sold everywhere in bookstores. So i thought its just common knowledge that its something for sale. Don't matter if you are using it for school project or for personal use.

Thanks, Superbaby. It wasn't exactly like an obvious container for posters. It's not even something that looks sold in stores: it honestly looked just like some random cardboard box! You're right, I *should* have thought "Hey, this probably belongs to the bookstore" but I didn't. That entire day we were collecting cardboard from everywhere we could find it!

BUT (giving you benefit of the doubt that maybe you get distracted)
2) if the cashier saw you taking it to the register, i am also amazed why she will not charge you for it? or offer to ring it up?

Yeah! The cashier probably thought it was a random box, too!

3) Who in the heck go through the video surveillance of the bookstore everyday? THat looks like an awful lot of work. And the "detective" has to match the camera at the register (to see if you pay for the goods) vs the camera at the door (to see you leave the premises with unpaid goods)? besides, how would they know that if you came into the store with the tube in your hands already? (meaning, maybe you bought it a couple of hours before? and returning back to get something else? etc etc?) Looks like someone is out to get you.

Nonetheless, do have a talk with the Dean and i am sure he'll be able to hear you out and clear up this misunderstanding?

Good luck girl. We are rooting for you. :heart:

NO JOKE. I mean, this was like sometime last week. They really do have a lot of time on their hands.

IntlSet, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you - it sounds ridiculous (the charge against you, I mean). I cannot believe you've an attitude problem, you're such a sweetie.

Good luck!

PS No time to read through the entire thread but has any tPFer in the legal profession given you advice yet?

passerby said:
IntlSet, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you - it sounds ridiculous (the charge against you, I mean). I cannot believe you've an attitude problem, you're such a sweetie.

Good luck!

PS No time to read through the entire thread but has any tPFer in the legal profession given you advice yet?

Yes, they have. And I appreciate it SO MUCH because I know these ladies charge $400/hour in real life! lol Thanks, everyone, lawyers and non-lawyers!

I'm sorry to hear about this. But seriously, legally speaking this is theft. When you walk away without consent with someone else's property, even if you think it is trash, it constitutes theft. That you're caught on camera meant that you're basically guilty, until proven innocent.

The best way to go about this is to speak to the bookshop or the people in charge of the people in charge of the bookshop to explain the mistake and "prove your innocence". Perhaps your friends who were with you can help you explain because they can attest to your innocent intentions.

So sorry you are having to go throught this :sad:. I can't believe that with all the serious crimes that go on (and even on school campuses) that the bookstore director would go so far with this. At the very most, he should have just fined you and let it go at that. Good luck with this!!

I work in the justice system and getting an attorney is a good idea. Many times charges will be dropped altogether when the complainants realize you plan to fight it. (Sad but true) We are living in an increasingly "law and order" society now and this is happening more and more. Unfortunately in my line of work it is really not "innocent until proven guilty" any more - quite the opposite actually. Hang in there and fight this tooth and nail!

I would definitely contact an attorney. You should not have this on your record.

My sister was in a similar situation & our attorney fought it. The worst, I think that may happen if you get a lawyer is a Trespassing Offense w/ maybe probation & a fine (if it’s your 1st offense). That may be the worst case scenario. I hope for the best which would be to for them to eradicate all charges against you. Like Roo said, this may happen if they find out you are fighting it & back down.

In any case, good luck! I know that this is a tough situation but you’ll get through it =)

So sorry you have to go through this stressful situation! It's probably a good idea to have an attorney send a letter to the bookstore, to show them you're taking the fight. That might make them drop the charges. What does your dad say? If he is teaching at your university, and this situation is embarrassing for your family, wouldn't he be willing to help you with this? I mean, maybe you could meet the attourney together?

It seems that the bookseller is the one with attitude problems...

Hope things work out for you!