Can I please get some legal advice? Shoplifting charge pressed against me by...

digby723 said:
Wow, I've read all of this, and, it def. sounds like someone is out to get you :sad: Hope everything goes in your favor!! Your dad can't pull any strings b/c he used to work there?

My folks are out of town and I haven't even told them yet. I really don't want to bug my dad with something this ridiculous, but I'll have to if it escalates into a serious criminal charge!

Wow...that's really nuts that they would actually take the TIME to file charges against you for taking a cardboard box.

I agree that you should have asked, but it was definitely an innocent mistake. The cashier also should have said something had it actually had any significant value.

Hope everything works out for you :heart:

You need to tell your folks. First off, you are only liable for the value of the item removed from the store, not some sort of "punative damages" that the store wants to charge you with for removing the item. You need a lawyer. They are trying to "teach you a lesson" and it isn't legal. It is common practice for people to pick up empty/discarded boxes in stores if they need one. If it had been a decorative item, or an obvious piece of a display that would have been one thing. But it was a cardboard BOX! You have offered to replace it, that is good enough. NO WAY they should ask you for $200. I would take it to court.

caannie said:
You need to tell your folks. First off, you are only liable for the value of the item removed from the store, not some sort of "punative damages" that the store wants to charge you with for removing the item. You need a lawyer. They are trying to "teach you a lesson" and it isn't legal. It is common practice for people to pick up empty/discarded boxes in stores if they need one. If it had been a decorative item, or an obvious piece of a display that would have been one thing. But it was a cardboard BOX! You have offered to replace it, that is good enough. NO WAY they should ask you for $200. I would take it to court.

I agree. Time to get an attorney.

I would suggest NOT paying the $200 because that may be taken as admission of guilt on your part.

I would fight this until the very end....do everything in your power.

So sorry you're having to deal with this....

They are making an example of you so there is only 2 things to do-advise your "well connected to the university" father and call an attorney. Because you are one of us here on the tPF you are probably known for your designer bags and clothes around campus and they probably have no intention on backing down. The retail environment loves busting "rich *****es" shoplifting, I know this is different but the mindset may be the same.

edit-I am not calling you that at all-I wish yo unothing but luck with this-I have heard too many of those stories where things go horribly wrong for the right people.

IntelSet- definitely call a lawyer! They are seriously fu@%ing with you and are WAY beyond their legal authority to do so! First of all, a prosecutor is not going to want ot proscecute this case- trust me, I have dealt with my fair share. If this is your first time offense, you should have no problem making this go away- but you NEED a lawyer in order to do so (and one specializing in criminal law or is very well connected). Second, I would also ask your parents to intervene because this is someone on a powertrip gone awry! There is a good chance that your dad can call the dean directly to make the dean aware of the bookeeper's outrageous threats and attempt to charge you for shoplifting an empty cardboard box.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me! This whole thing is ridiculous! But you already know that!

Please keep us posted! Sorry you are going through this!

IntlSet said:
By the way, we were using the cardboard box for an art project.

I do feel bad for your situation. After reading your version of it, to me it seems like an honest mistake on your part and I do hope you can get it straightened out. Maybe when your parents get home they can do something for you. In all likelyhood, it will be resolved..so dont worry. But do you realize what you did? Can you look back and try to learn from this and think about what you are doing before you do it. Sometimes when your young, you dont think of things like you would if you were an older person. Do you realize that in all technicality it was not a good thing to remove something from the store? no matter how small or trival. Anything can be percieved as something that it isnt, so why put your self in that situation? You could go with your parents to your local district justice office and perhaps they can help you there. keep us all posted.

CrazyBagLady said:
I do feel bad for your situation. After reading your version of it, to me it seems like an honest mistake on your part and I do hope you can get it straightened out. Maybe when your parents get home they can do something for you. In all likelyhood, it will be resolved..so dont worry. But do you realize what you did? Can you look back and try to learn from this and think about what you are doing before you do it. Sometimes when your young, you dont think of things like you would if you were an older person. Do you realize that in all technicality it was not a good thing to remove something from the store? no matter how small or trival. Anything can be percieved as something that it isnt, so why put your self in that situation? You could go with your parents to your local district justice office and perhaps they can help you there. keep us all posted.
I've admitted my own stupidity a dozen times. The fact that 4 of us were in that store (my group members) and none of us even thought that we might be doing anything wrong seems like evidence enough that it was an innocent mistake: needless to say, nobody in their right mind would put themselves "in a situation" where "anything can be perceived as something it isn't."

At first I was really sad about all this. Now I'm just pissed. This isn't an eye for an eye: this is vengence on their part. The response to my lapse of judgment is pretty harsh!

The intent of malice simply wasn't there. Are they seriously going to punish me that severely for my stupidity in removing the box from the bookstore?

And the lesson I took away besides "Small things can seriously blow up" is also "Marry a lawyer!" In-house counsel, that's what I'm talkin' about.

jag said:
IntelSet- definitely call a lawyer! They are seriously fu@%ing with you and are WAY beyond their legal authority to do so! First of all, a prosecutor is not going to want ot proscecute this case- trust me, I have dealt with my fair share. If this is your first time offense, you should have no problem making this go away- but you NEED a lawyer in order to do so (and one specializing in criminal law or is very well connected). Second, I would also ask your parents to intervene because this is someone on a powertrip gone awry! There is a good chance that your dad can call the dean directly to make the dean aware of the bookeeper's outrageous threats and attempt to charge you for shoplifting an empty cardboard box.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me! This whole thing is ridiculous! But you already know that!

Please keep us posted! Sorry you are going through this!

JAG, thank you soooo much! You know I adore you!!

I did end up talking to a really great attorney. He said not to do anything for now and see what the dean says. If I can even get in with the dean since I have to go up the bureaucratic chain!

One thing to stress as well: in order to prove you did this, a prosecutor has to prove INTENT on your part. It does not sound like there was any intent. The people harassing you sound like they have nothing better to do but justify their own existence. Feel free to start using the term "prove intent" with these jokers. It may work.

I would also caution you about any interactions with the Dean. If you meet with him/her in person, bring a witness. Telephone conversations and in person meetings can be denied.

Roo said:
One thing to stress as well: in order to prove you did this, a prosecutor has to prove INTENT on your part. It does not sound like there was any intent. The people harassing you sound like they have nothing better to do but justify their own existence. Feel free to start using the term "prove intent" with these jokers. It may work.

I would also caution you about any interactions with the Dean. If you meet with him/her in person, bring a witness. Telephone conversations and in person meetings can be denied.

lol! Thanks for the tip, Roo! I like legal jargon. I'll keep it limited to "intent," however. Thanks for your nice words, and everyone else.

Could you bring a small recorder to the meeting? If you can't find anyone to go with you that is. He might bristle at it but from what you've had to go through I'd do whatever it takes to protect yourself.

Well, ladies, I talked to a representative of the dean, who relayed my story. The way my school is structured, there's nothing he can do because it's not in his authority.

Great.

Thanks for sticking with me, guys, I really do appreciate it more than you know.