Calling All Malaysians!!!

which part of Penang are you from? my mom's family is from Penang :nuts:. before i came to the US i used to go to Penang at least 3 times a year, and whenever i went home for summer i'd go at least once; my late grandfather has a house on Westlands Rd, where his sister lives now, so we always stayed there with her.

Hi yeux, sorry I only just saw your post! I'm from Gelugor, very near to the bridge and maybe 15mins from Westlands Rd :yes:

Hello! Can't believe that I have just only stumbled upon this after being a PFer since the start of the year. I was born in KL and moved to London over 12 years ago for university. Have since stayed on and settled. I do, however, make my annual pilgrimage for family and food!

Can any of you tell me if designer bags are more expensive in Malaysia? I almost never wander into any of the boutiques in KLCC as the SAs always seem so intimidating, unlike in London. Also, the fact that I am paying more digits in RM than I would do in £s in the UK, puts me off - I know its self-delusion...

Hi tigger,
I studied in London too but was there for only 3 years..as for prices of bags...it's cheaper in London definitely..not by a lot but still cheaper! so don't worry, you're not being delusional at all!

Can any of you tell me if designer bags are more expensive in Malaysia? I almost never wander into any of the boutiques in KLCC as the SAs always seem so intimidating, unlike in London. Also, the fact that I am paying more digits in RM than I would do in £s in the UK, puts me off - I know its self-delusion...

my mom doesn't buy her designer bags in KL (except when the new LV store opened in Star Hill, and that only for the novelty of it :lol:) because the prices are so much higher than they are in Europe and the US due to the import taxes and conversion

Thanks Minami and yeuxhonnetes. I guess the selection isn't as good either. Having been to the US and other parts of Europe, I would say that London is the best overall for shopping. My favourite shops here are Liberty and Selfridges and there are definitely bargains to be had.

In fact, I hit the post-Christmas sales yesterday and managed to bag a Chloe Edith for nearly 60% of the RRP! Bargain of the year!

Minami - I was reading some of the old posts and noted that you went to the LSE. I too was there but am a bit older than you - I turn 32 in May. In fact, I still have links to the uni because I still technically live in the university area of Bloomsbury and my partner is doing his PhD there.

Did you enjoy your time in London?

hi Tigger,
thats cool! I graduated in 2000, I loved London..Covent Garden was so near to the LSE, went there practically everyday! Where do you work right now? I do miss London..My fav stores were Harrod;s/ Harvey Nics, Selfridges..miss Oxford St, Bond St, Piccadily Circus! and the museums and theatres!
What did you study btw? I did Economics :smile:
Bloomsbury? I was living in High Holborn..hehe and first year was in Tower Hill..hated crossing the Tower Bridge everyday! but, do miss it now..hehe

how is working life in London? I guess student life may be different huh?
yes..the sales in London are sooo much better....esp the January sales huh? I loved going to Joseph too..and I do love Liberty as well! Love shopping! and also the historical air about London..hehe

I am in the US now, it is quite different here..but I do like it too...my hubby is here sooo I have to be with him..:smile:

xxoo

Hi Minami - Yeah, there's no other comparison to London. I studied International Relations and now work for BP.

The sales are fantastic here and there is plenty of opportunity to indulge. I hear San Diego's nice, though...

Hi all hi all~ I was born in Penang...stayed there 1 yr? went to KL for 1 yr, went to UK for 1 yr, then 'grew up' in Singapore for about 5-6 yrs...came to Auckland for 2 yrs..back to Singapore for 2 years and back here in Auckland ever since :s still have Malaysian passport so...technically still Malaysian right?? hehe :shrugs:

Wow...no idea there are so many m'sians on this forum. That's pretty neat!!
i'm originally from PJ as well, well my parents are still in Damansara Utama, so i'll be visiting this summer! :yahoo: It's been about 3 years since the last time i went back, wonder how everything's changed now.

Well now i'm happily married in the US, if any of you m'sians are in the NJ/NY area, gimme a holler! i work in midtown manhattan and it'll be great to meet up for lunch or sum'in :nuts:

Well now i'm happily married in the US, if any of you m'sians are in the NJ/NY area, gimme a holler! i work in midtown manhattan and it'll be great to meet up for lunch or sum'in :nuts:

OH MY GOD!!! I JUST CAME BACK FROM MANHATTAN TODAY!!!!

i was there since Tuesday because my University at Buffalo Choir was singing at the Ennio Morricone concert at Radio City Music Hall last night, and at the United Nations on Friday night. i went there early just so i could get some shopping in on Tuesday and Wednesday before rehearsals began on Thursday

i stayed at the Regency Inn & Suites on 34th & 7th, right across from Macy's. i always stay there because it's so conveniently close to everything

the next time i'm in Manhattan i'll be sure to let you know!

hey all! im 19 from penang, high school in kl and now im in uni in london! nice to see all of you here! i cant wait to go back to malaysia where the bags are cheaper than in the uk :sad: especially klia! love duty free shopping!