Buying fewer bags and being happy!!!

I too like the trim but reality check, I generally don't wear shoulder bags at all and prefer hand-held so...other than it would be 'nice' to have it, I don't need it! Do love the bolide and plume styles though SoCal!! Ooops there I go enabling others!!

I have always felt with most everything in life that less is best. That way you can truly enjoy what you own. After all, we joke about buying more and more bags, but do we really need them? It's nice to have a close knit family in my opinion.

I totally agree with you Kellybag! Having too many bags, probably explains why a lot of my bags were never being cared for nor carried. :idea:

I too like the trim but reality check, I generally don't wear shoulder bags at all and prefer hand-held so...other than it would be 'nice' to have it, I don't need it! Do love the bolide and plume styles though SoCal!! Ooops there I go enabling others!!

LOL...I was thinking about the trim as a jungle/safari bag...you know, the bag you can take with you when you need that shoulder/no worries bag... (Sick, sick...my "China" bag this year was a Balenciaga day bag that was sold as soon as I returned home...I am thinking I would be happy with a classic trim for travels long-term...or maybe not...) Well, it will most likely not be an impulse...will see what I see in Spain...

I can't quite title this thread properly, but my question comes out of the absolute need for me to not keep buying more bags and be happy with the ones I have!! GF stated in a thread that she will buy one Hermes bag per year -- that is a great idea - and reasonable -- and how do I get my mindset there??

S...you're funny!

OK, initially the only reason I was going to get one Hermes Bag a year is because that's all DH would agree to!! I can buy as many as I like for myself - but he will only buy one per year for me....and I figure, since he's paying, it will be a Birkin or Kelly from him, and smaller, less expensive things from me love me!!
Then I got to thinking, and I figure these bags are so special, and I have a particular quirk where I like specific colours/leather/hardware etc, so I'm better off SOing one special bag per year, and building my collection slowly...and I'll adore each bag, and it will most likely be with me forever...
I ran the one bag per year thing past my store manager the other day, and he thought it was a fabulous idea - so at least I know I can pretty much place an order with him once a year, and hopefully most of my bags can be produced!

But believe me....if $$$ were not an issue, I would have collected croc Kelly's and Birkins this year like a CRAZY WOMAN!!!!!!:upsidedown:

Hmmm...I have that question as well... I think about a trim and/or bolide from time to time...then wonder if it will be money well spent or better spent elsewhere (the bags I love or a bag that might be everyday functional in some contexts)...

i think hermes money is money well spent -- if you think about how long they have been making the trim, it will never go out of style. and the truth is it is not that much more than a fendi, chole or whatever will be out by spring. and you can get it in a blue or orange and not feel like it has to be practical...
like you socal, i need shoulder bags for travel, bags to carry that don't tell the world i spent eight thousand on a purse, so i think some of the less coveted styles of hermes are really good purchases. my SA is leading me in a very good diretion...didn't let me fall prey to a kelly yesterday as he knows i want that color in birkin -- but -- i did go in today and get a massai in rouge vif...so amazing pics to follow...

The thing that keeps all my spending under control is my goal of early retirement! (it's true, that without Hermes, it probably could be earlier than the current target, LOL)

One goal of mine is to get to Italy after my kiddos all graduate HS! I've just had such a strong purse habit, and now it's shifted to Hermes bags, and I've got to keep the numbers down which overall, means to stop buying so many! Breaking the habit is hard lol!! Venezia, yes retirement is a goal too and I don't want to have to sell the bags to pay real estate taxes at that point lol!!

i think hermes money is money well spent -- if you think about how long they have been making the trim, it will never go out of style. and the truth is it is not that much more than a fendi, chole or whatever will be out by spring. and you can get it in a blue or orange and not feel like it has to be practical...
like you socal, i need shoulder bags for travel, bags to carry that don't tell the world i spent eight thousand on a purse, so i think some of the less coveted styles of hermes are really good purchases. my SA is leading me in a very good diretion...didn't let me fall prey to a kelly yesterday as he knows i want that color in birkin -- but -- i did go in today and get a massai in rouge vif...so amazing pics to follow...

LOL...if I purchase a trim I will tell DH that it is tracey's fault...no, wait...I...must...wait...until...I...get...to...
Spain...

Forgot my resolution there for a bit...but a trim sure makes sense from that perspective...

Very good question and I've enjoyed seeing the replies. I love my Kellys for the styling and use of shoulder strap. Same for the Bolide.

I bought into the hype of the Birkin, but it's not my favorite style so I sold 2 and kept one, the Ebene. I've gotten my bag wardrobe down to only the ones I really love/use....and I'm happy.

Can't think of anything else I really want....not that I *won't* buy something....it's just that I don't want anything else right now.

Believe it or not, there's nothing I really crave from H anymore, except what I can't afford (croc Birkin or Kelly). I treasure the H things I have, but end up using my Edith or Speedy on a daily basis. The buying frenzy if over for me (FOR NOW), so I guess you could say I am happy with fewer bags.

LOL...if I purchase a trim I will tell DH that it is tracey's fault...no, wait...I...must...wait...until...I...get...to...
Spain...

i will take full responsibility....have him call my DH who thinks refined collecting is an art and should be nurtured....no joke....he thinks books are better....but better hermes than schlock...if you can resell it at sothebys and christies you are INVESTING!

I loved reading the responses to this thread. I have always admired Hermes Birkin and Kelly bags, but knew I would never be able to afford one. I truly envy all of you ladies who do have one of these bags! Personally, I feel like if I got a Birkin or Kelly that I would never crave another bag. However, I always say that and end up STILL craving something else. I always thought I was alone and that this was some kind of bad cycle I needed to break. I've never had an expensive handbag until my husband gave me an LV Speedy for our anniversary. Now I'm hooked and I'm planning my next purchase. I just got the Speedy this month!! I can't be satisfied. :sad: