Buyer unhappy with purchase.

Ideally, of course, the seller should describe items in as much detail as possible, to avoid this sort of thing happening - but I totally understand that that can be hard to do, as there can be so many details to remember and in this case, you would have had to say; 'The strap is not detachable.' and frankly, who would think to say that? :shrugs:

I certainly wouldn't have (although, I might now! :lol: ). :nogood:

I don't think this is buyer's remorse, though - buyer's remorse is when someone buys/bids on something, knowing exactly what they're buying (and its true condition) and then, later, decides that they shouldn't have bought it, for whatever reason (perhaps they feel they bid too high, or the item isn't really for them after all, or they just feel they shouldn't have spent the money).

This buyer just wasn't aware of all the features of the item and so (unwisely), just made an assumption; had she known, she wouldn't have bid.

Also, I presume this is a well-known style? So, presumably, as you didn't stipulate that it was a non-detachable strap, she could have done some research, or asked you about it, if it was an issue?

As chuckster says, I think she was just expressing herself and perhaps, also, hoping that you might volunteer a refund; she obviously didn't assume she was entitled to one (as the item was not SNAD and she knew it).

Ideally, of course, the seller should describe items in as much detail as possible, to avoid this sort of thing happening - but I totally understand that that can be hard to do, as there can be so many details to remember and in this case, you would have had to say; 'The strap is not detachable.' and frankly, who would think to say that? :shrugs:

I certainly wouldn't have (although, I might now! :lol: ). :nogood:

I don't think this is buyer's remorse, though - buyer's remorse is when someone buys/bids on something, knowing exactly what they're buying (and its true condition) and then, later, decides that they shouldn't have bought it, for whatever reason (perhaps they feel they bid too high, or the item isn't really for them after all, or they just feel they shouldn't have spent the money).

This buyer just wasn't aware of all the features of the item and so (unwisely), just made an assumption; had she known, she wouldn't have bid.

Also, I presume this is a well-known style? So, presumably, as you didn't stipulate that it was a non-detachable strap, she could have done some research, or asked you about it, if it was an issue?

As chuckster says, I think she was just expressing herself and perhaps, also, hoping that you might volunteer a refund; she obviously didn't assume she was entitled to one (as the item was not SNAD and she knew it).

Thanks chloe. There are two versions of this foldover. The larger one does have the detachable strap but like she said, she did not think to ask.

Hotshot, edith, chuckster, thanks a lot. I guess what bothers me is that she is not going to leave feedback (hasn't as of yet) because of something that is not my fault. It's irritating because I had to wait almost a week for payment for a BIN because she got sidetracked by a sister with cancer and I tried to be understanding. As a result I changed all my BIN's to immediate payment only and got dinged with the 30-day restriction-my oversight and not her fault. I guess you live and learn when it comes to ebay.

Last edited:
Probably, she won't leave feedback because she doesn't want her prospective buyers to see the last details of her transaction and wondering, why is she selling it again?. Maybe after the transaction is over, she will leave you feedback.

I have also had a few buyers that have not left me feedback. I messaged them a bit later reminding them to leave me feedback and they still did not! Some people would rather not leave feedback if they don't have something nice to say and she is disappointed (even though its not your fault)!

Yes, that could be. I bought recently a brooch and the clasp wasn't exactly what I imagined. I didn't complain (as it was a cheap item) but leaving a + feedback didn't feel sincere either.
Don't worry over a feedback, there are many people who don't bother or just won't leave one unless 100% happy.

Thanks everyone. I won't worry about it since it's out of my control. I hate that she was not happy but she should have asked questions before buying. I had a bad feeling about this transaction when it took her 5 days to pay and only after I emailed her (3 days after the auction) did she tell me she could not pay right away. I should have listened to my intuition and cancelled this transaction from the beginning.

Thanks chloe. There are two versions of this foldover. The larger one does have the detachable strap but like she said, she did not think to ask.

No problem, giagnm. :flowers:

No, although, if you had known, at the time, that there were two versions of the foldover, I guess it would have been ideal if you had mentioned it; but if you didn't know, as I say, you couldn't be expected to say a strap is non-detachable (or fixed). :nogood:

Thanks everyone. I won't worry about it since it's out of my control. I hate that she was not happy but she should have asked questions before buying. I had a bad feeling about this transaction when it took her 5 days to pay and only after I emailed her (3 days after the auction) did she tell me she could not pay right away. I should have listened to my intuition and cancelled this transaction from the beginning.

I wonder if she went and did her research and found out/suspected, after bidding/BINing, that it was the wrong version, but by then it was too late and that's why she didn't pay immediately?

Maybe she thought about backing out, but didn't want to upset you?

I think this is yet another lesson, to all of us, to be as anal as possible in item descriptions! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I won't worry about it since it's out of my control. I hate that she was not happy but she should have asked questions before buying.

Very true, some people you just can't please. :noworry:
Sounds to me like she just messaged you hoping you'd feel sorry for her and offer a refund?

I wonder if she went and did her research and found out/suspected, after bidding/BINing, that it was the wrong version, but by then it was too late and that's why she didn't pay immediately?

Maybe she thought about backing out, but didn't want to upset you?

I think this is yet another lesson, to all of us, to be as anal as possible in item descriptions! :biggrin:

I did my own research after her email and found that the larger shoulder bag had detachable straps and can be used as a clutch but is not a cross-body. My listing stated the straps were adjustable only. If I would have said they were detachable I would have refunded her with no problem. She must have thought she was bidding on that other bag:shrugs: (which are more expensive). She would not have upset me if she cancelled but she did not pay because she said was waiting for money to get into her account by Monday.