Buyer open paypal dispute for NON REFUNDABLE deposit???

it was for a $1599 OBO bag, buyer NEVER even negotiate price, just saids she WANTS that bag in her collection

OK.. WHY? And absolutely not arguing w/ you or picking on you, pot_luck. Just wondering as to your reasoning.

IF the BUYER makes an agreement, and then the BUYER chooses not to honor their agreement, WHY are they entitled to anything? The buyer INITIATED this transaction. The buyer chose not to honor the transaction. IMO, the buyer should pay the consequence for that, not the seller.

WHAT IF.... while the seller was waiting for the buyer to pay, seller got a better offer. So seller refunds buyer the deposit and says... "oops, sorry, got a better offer". Buyer might well be pissed if the SELLER had not honored HER agreement.... So why is it OK for the buyer NOT to fulfill her end of the bargain??

I just do not see a difference. When 2 parties make an agreement, they BOTH should be accountable, IMO. And one should not take precedence over the other. He who defaults pays the consequence. That's real life.

Further thoughts, anyone??

Dyyong.. how much was this bag??????????

it was for a $1599 OBO bag, buyer NEVER even negotiate price, just saids she WANTS that bag in her collection

This reiterates my point...

And folks.. follow me... without ANY regard to WHO the buyer or seller is.. irrelevant, DO NOT CARE. I do not know the buyer and I do not know the seller, so I have no personal prejudice here.
Buyer put a deposit down on a $1600 bag. Seller considered a $1600 bag SOLD, and held it for this buyer for 2 weeks. Did not try to sell it to anyone else... HELD IT FOR THIS BUYER. Buyer renegs, and wants deposit back... SOOOOOO.. seller should lose the $1600 sale PLUS the $200 deposit?

NO...I just don't agree. Each party should be accountable for their part of the agreement.. IMHO.

I will say this.. if I had made this agreement as a buyer, I'd call slap myself silly and kiss that deposit goodbye. This was not the seller's DOING or UNDOING. Buyer's decisions, buyer's loss, IMO.

Reactions: MAGJES
OK.. WHY? And absolutely not arguing w/ you or picking on you, pot_luck. Just wondering as to your reasoning.

IF the BUYER makes an agreement, and then the BUYER chooses not to honor their agreement, WHY are they entitled to anything? The buyer INITIATED this transaction. The buyer chose not to honor the transaction. IMO, the buyer should pay the consequence for that, not the seller.

WHAT IF.... while the seller was waiting for the buyer to pay, seller got a better offer. So seller refunds buyer the deposit and says... "oops, sorry, got a better offer". Buyer might well be pissed if the SELLER had not honored HER agreement.... So why is it OK for the buyer NOT to fulfill her end of the bargain??

I just do not see a difference. When 2 parties make an agreement, they BOTH should be accountable, IMO. And one should not take precedence over the other. He who defaults pays the consequence. That's real life.

Further thoughts, anyone??

Dyyong.. how much was this bag??????????

I understand that she agreed to the nonrefundable down payment. I would still want something back. Whether I got it or not. I would still want it back. IMO there really is no need for the seller to keep the deposit. She isn't out of any money- she didn't loose money on fees or anything. Seriously though, who wouldn't want their money back? Raise your hand. :biggrin:You may not be entitled to it back, but I am sure you would want it.

And folks.. follow me... without ANY regard to WHO the buyer or seller is.. irrelevant, DO NOT CARE. I do not know the buyer and I do not know the seller, so I have no personal prejudice here.
Buyer put a deposit down on a $1600 bag. Seller considered a $1600 bag SOLD, and held it for this buyer for 2 weeks. Did not try to sell it to anyone else... HELD IT FOR THIS BUYER. Buyer renegs, and wants deposit back... SOOOOOO.. seller should lose the $1600 sale PLUS the $200 deposit?

NO...I just don't agree. Each party should be accountable for their part of the agreement.. IMHO.

I will say this.. if I had made this agreement as a buyer, I'd call slap myself silly and kiss that deposit goodbye. This was not the seller's DOING or UNDOING. Buyer's decisions, buyer's loss, IMO.

:tup:

can you pm me her id too pls

At the end of the day this is a business transaction.Its like if she goes into a store put the bag down on a layby and in the T&C it clearly states the layby is for x weeks , if the layby is not paid in full by then she looses the deposit its no difference to the deal she made with the OP.

Originally Posted by Ellie Mae

ITA!!!!

and the OP should not have any 2nd thoughts about keeping it!

I understand that she agreed to the nonrefundable down payment. I would still want something back. Whether I got it or not. I would still want it back. IMO there really is no need for the seller to keep the deposit. She isn't out of any money- she didn't loose money on fees or anything. Seriously though, who wouldn't want their money back? Raise your hand. :biggrin:You may not be entitled to it back, but I am sure you would want it.

Wanting something and deserving it are two different things; people in He** want ice water too. So what? You can't have everything you want.

The seller went out of her way to help out the buyer, then the buyer changes her mind and wants to negate the agreement. eBay is very specific that you enter into a binding transaction when you bid. The seller inconvenienced herself by agreeing to the deal, perhaps she needs the money too as was mentioned earlier.

I realize there are people who go through life expecting everything to be arranged to suit them but that in no way means the rest of the population has to go along with allowing themselves to be taken advantage of.

Sure, I'd hate to lose my money but that was the agreement so I wouldn't ask. When I was shopping for a wedding dress I agreed to a certain design and put down a non-refundable deposit of $250- I found a better one a couple days later so I bought that one instead. Did the store lose anything when I reneg on the deal? Not really...Was I sad to lose out on $250? Yes, who wouldn't be? Did I ask to get it back? No, because I agreed to the terms when I put the deposit. Nuff said....

Wanting something and deserving it are two different things; people in He** want ice water too. So what? You can't have everything you want.

The seller went out of her way to help out the buyer, then the buyer changes her mind and wants to negate the agreement. eBay is very specific that you enter into a binding transaction when you bid. The seller inconvenienced herself by agreeing to the deal, perhaps she needs the money too as was mentioned earlier.

I realize there are people who go through life expecting everything to be arranged to suit them but that in no way means the rest of the population has to go along with allowing themselves to be taken advantage of.
I can only speak for myself. That's why I said I would want it back but wouldn't necessarily be entitled to it back. You are absolutely right, I cant have everything I want but it doesnt stop me from wanting. BTW it wasn't an ebay transaction...ant at this point it is up to Paypal to determine if the money is to be refunded.

if you have been in the seller shoes you wouldn't says the same thing IMHO

Sure, I'd hate to lose my money but that was the agreement so I wouldn't ask. When I was shopping for a wedding dress I agreed to a certain design and put down a non-refundable deposit of $250- I found a better one a couple days later so I bought that one instead. Did the store lose anything when I reneg on the deal? Not really...Was I sad to lose out on $250? Yes, who wouldn't be? Did I ask to get it back? No, because I agreed to the terms when I put the deposit. Nuff said....

:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

if you have been in the seller shoes you wouldn't says the same thing IMHO

In the seller's shoes I would return it, there's no way I could keep that money and feel good about it. That's just me personally, I'm not saying you're under any obligation to return it or that you're a bad person if you do not. As I said, I'm a softie, I would put myself in the buyer's shoes and know I'd be so relieved as a buyer to have it returned. We each have to make choices as to what feels right for us and live our lives day by day accordingly, I would choose to return it because for me it would feel like the right thing to do.

Just stating another opinion. :smile:

Linda

But the seller did in fact lose something. She lost her time and the possible sale of the bag to someone else. That 's the whole point of a non-refundable deposit. It guarantees the seller some money if the deal happens to falls through. The buyer and seller enterered into a contract. The seller agreed to end the sale early and give the buyer time to pay in EXCHANGE for a non-refundable sum of money. The buyer fell through with her end of the deal (two days turned into two weeks of no contact AND ultimately, no payment) and so the seller now gets to keep what is contractually hers - the deposit. And she SHOULD.

It's beyond low for the buyer to now file a claim against the seller in an effort to get this deposit back. And by the way, her excuse for not paying is lame. And of course this type of buyer would want her money back. It's pretty evident in the way she's done business so far. No surprises there. You know what they say about "wanting" something - that people in hell want ice water. And I'm pretty sure they aren't getting THAT either.:P