Home & Garden Building Our Dream House! From Start to Finish.

Congratulations OP, enjoy the process, take lots of pics along the way... I've built 2 homes and I would just like to suggest that you prepare yourself for this home to take
closer to 9 -12 months to be built and ready to close. Good luck!

closing was pushed back due to site plan not being ready yet. originally scheduled for today, july 6th. got pushed back 45 days. new closing date august 20th.
apparently, the builder promised my husband we would still be in by christmas, which is laughable.
keeping my head up! i know that delays are unavoidable.

we are settling in to my mom's house. still have a bit more to finish putting away, but we are getting there!

in other (semi-related) news, we are only a few weeks away from our medicated fertility cycle to conceive baby #2! i told hubby as long as we are in and settled before baby #2 arrives, i will feel accomplished haha. :lol:

we got the final site plan the other day. we wanted the house closer to the front of the land, but the septic field and grading of the lot dictated a lot of where we could place it.

definites:
- fenced back yard (all said and done, will probably be like 0.75 / 1 acre?)
- chicken coop with fenced run, left corner
- several bee boxes, thinking along the left side of the property, planning on lining that side with some small trees and flower gardens
- raised vegetable garden (possible over lower section of septic field?)
- separate 3 car garage to the right of the house (a few years away)

maybes / hopefuls:
- trying to sort what to do with the large front yard. planning a koi pond, and potentially a small pasture with 1-2 miniature jersey cows if the county ordinance will allow it
- would love an inground pool w/ attached hot tub in the backyard, but hubby is a hard sell on that one so far!

to research / find out:
- what can and cannot go over a septic field. i know nothing with deep roots, nothing too heavy, nothing permanent
- county laws regarding miniature cattle. i know the law dictates no large farm animals on lots less than 3 acres, but is there a specification for miniatures?
- original site plan had the driveway coming in from further down the drive. ask builder - is this still a possibility? would like a longer driveway if possible

Last edited by a moderator:
after going over to the property and walking it with my mom, we talked a lot about possibilities and what to do with the land, and i am feeling much better!

more plans!
- native wild flowers along the lane to make use of the easement and to eliminate mowing due to slight drainage ditch
- planting fruit trees on lower section of lot to make use of expansive front yard
- adding a large natural pond with small waterfall feature in front yard (shallow / beachy end to allow local wildlife to drink)

LOVE the views and open area and the floorplan!!

I really would love to do something just like this - large lot and home that we can build out as we like! Def keep sharing along the way :yes: :flowers:

Reactions: Style_Baby
Awwwesome!!!!! So exciting. Gosh, those views...

the views are what sold us! even better, it's all protected farmland, which means the view will NEVER change! the only possible change is if a farmer wants to build a small home on the property for one of their children, but otherwise no changes allowed!

the corn field next to us (seen in the pic with the truck) is being divided into 3 lots like ours, large lots with large houses, but idk how long it will be before they start that.

Reactions: HoldBackTheRain