Brown purse and black shoes?

I do it all the time! I sometimes try NOT to match shoes to bags even when I can. I used to have a navy pencil skirt that I work with a black sweater. The guys at work would tell me it didn't match, but it looked very good together in an edgy way. :smile:

I always had the same problem- a long standing and deep aversion to black and brown together. I would see other women wearing them toghether and thought they looked fine, good even, but when I tried to do it myself, I just couldn't.

The thing that got me over it was this Vince sweater. It's both black and brown. I felt it allowed me to pair it with black jeans and brown boots. So maybe you need a piece of clothing that gives you 'permission' to mix.

Attachments

• vince cardi.jpg
    vince cardi.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 162
I usually don't like when shoes, belt and bag are all the same color. I don't think you have to match shoes and bag, but I do think they have to go... I love black and brown together.

Honestly, I'm more concerned that my shoes match my outfit then shoes match the bag. I normally only change out bags once a week, so I'm not going to worry if I have brown shoes and a black bag or vise versa. The most I'm concerned with is that they don't clash and are in the same color family.

I like to match sometimes, then other times I mix colors. Now I have this thing where I want to wear interesting color combos, like red shoes with a teal dress, or bright pink with navy, hunter green with medium pink, purple and turquoise, or black with a bright color. I think brown and black are cute together too, I wear them together like when I wear by brown leopard skirt with a black top or I have another top that is brown and black lace that I wear with black.

I guess I should be one of those women from the matchy matchy generation but I'm not. Of course, most of my bags are neither black nor brown, but there are plenty of prints with those colors, so I don't see a problem. OK, I wouldn't wear brown shoes with black pants...

I'm of the opinion that they are in the same dark color palette so I believe they do go together. Direct match, of course not! But if it were a bright yellow bag like my current avatar, and then black shoes? Mmmm not so much.

I would just match to color palette, not color-to-color, if that makes sense?

Here is Hillary Duff in a black shirt with a brown bag (RM Nikki), gorgeous!

hilary-duff-rebecca-minkoff-nikki.jpg

Also there's a scene in The Devil Wears Prada toward the end where Anne Hathaway's character Andy has on a brown leather jacket and a black top and she looked fabulous.

Linda