Brown purse and black shoes?

anna401

Feb 10, 2009
I am from the matchy-matchy generation, and it's a tough habit to break. My kids tell me constantly not to match my shoes and purses!
My husband bought me a beautiful brown Marc Jacobs bag for Christmas. I would have preferred black because it "goes" with so much more. But how does everyone else feel about wearing brown with black shoes (or any other colour for that matter)?

Jul 3, 2006
I wear my Louis Vuitton mono and damier bags all the time with black pants, coats, sweaters and shoes. I think brown shoes and brown handbag is too matchy matchy sometimes. I think our mothers always told us to match, but there is nothing that beats a gorgeous brown handbag with black. It's funny, sometimes I see my mom with purple bag, purple shoes, and such and it just seems outdated now - so matchy.

Apr 28, 2008
Michigan
I totally understand Anna. My kids do the same to me. I'm trying to get away from it. I had a stylist come to my house last week. She helped me mix and match colors that I was comfortable with. Black and brown is definitely okay.

queenmab

Reach for the sun
Sep 25, 2006
Pacific NW
I can't find the picture I want that inspired me, but here's a more casual one of Angelina in a black top with a brown LV

The one I wanted was her in an all black outfit and a Damier speedy - stunning. Inspired me to start mixing browns & blacks.

berta

mom2 12paws
O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
So. Florida
I have a beautiful pair of brown Miu Miu's. They are accented with black leather piping and yes it took me a while to figure out what to wear with them. I do carry a brown bag, but make sure that I use a punch of color some place else.

So I am old school, I can't seem to let go of handbag, shoes and watch band matchy thing.

That being said, I can't do a plain brown shoe or bag with a plain black bag or shoe, or even mix patent with non-patent.

stephc005

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
MD
i totally think brown and black do go together. i don't like the matchy matchy look- mixing it up looks fresher and more modern. it's a lesson i try to teach my mom but she's quite stuck in her ways.