Brands with suede lining?

Like someone else said, previous Kooba bags were lined with suede (like the Sienna). I had one and just sold it because I found that while the lining was nice and soft, the whip-stitching was horrible (broke all of the time, along with one of the brass rivets on the bag!)

I second the mention of Zac Posen bags. Very luxurious! And as others have said, Jimmy Choo is not lined in suede. It is moleskin - I can't believe for the price you don't get real suede!!

Ralph Lauren is sueded inside. Not lined, the single layer of calf leather is perfect suede reverse ~~ the most expensive kind. Others need a thin lining to cover a rough underside. An inexpensive lambskin, microfiber faux suede (moleskin) or cowhide skiver ( the middle shaved between suede and topgrain sides of hide, aka scrap) is what we might get when we buy 'suede-lined" bags. Surprisingly, lambskin bags are popular for their softness, and could go without lining if the skins are nicely prepared, but lining is added to give it more body. Single layer bags may sometimes lack interior features but we all use mini-pouches inside as modules, anyway. Honest leather can show her backside proudly.

my Ralph Lauren Ricki is not lined in suede but it is lined in the softest of the softest leather i've ever felt. It may be a calfskin though, i'm not sure.

Last edited:
Yes, yours is calf. I should have said mine is calfsuede. Lovely, isn't it ?

stormy its divine. :drool: i would have to say the lining on the ricki gives the birkin some competition. Some Loro Piano bags have that buttery soft lining as well. Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but why is it that some of my bags are calf and they seem like tougher to the touch but then you have some calf that is soft?

stormy its divine. :drool: i would have to say the lining on the ricki gives the birkin some competition. Some Loro Piano bags have that buttery soft lining as well. Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but why is it that some of my bags are calf and they seem like tougher to the touch but then you have some calf that is soft?
That's actually a great question. Without going too far OT, I'll try to answer.
Since calf is baby to young cow, the younger~ the softer & thinner, naturally.
Other than that, there are many possible variables.Connective tissue in the skin is key. Differences may lie in the tanning and finishing. Generally, analine leathers will have a softer touch, while natural vegtans seem to have a bit stiiffer 'hand' ~~ at first. (They soften with use.) Besides thickness of the leather (age), the ratios of wax /oil used, enyzmes & chemicals are considerations. Top coatings can vary greatly as well, affecting feel. Any leather can be tumbled to soften it. The less it is handled, the 'tougher' (stronger), or closer to natural, it will be because the fibers are intact. Any means to break or loosen the connective tissue will soften the hide. The soft skins of young animals require minimal processing.
This applies to suedes as well~ then you have a full range from barely buffed to fully napped, also affecting the handfeel and appearance ~ from matte to velvet.
Overall, there are many factors to mix and match for end results; these are only a few. Your softy calf is probably younger than the 'tougher' one you mention; both are very close to their natural state, which is good news for longevity & wear, as they don't have an artificial headstart on breakdown.
Now you have the short answer for that which has no short answer.;)
And the reason calf is worth the expense !

That's actually a great question. Without going too far OT, I'll try to answer.
Since calf is baby to young cow, the younger~ the softer & thinner, naturally.
Other than that, there are many possible variables.Connective tissue in the skin is key. Differences may lie in the tanning and finishing. Generally, analine leathers will have a softer touch, while natural vegtans seem to have a bit stiiffer 'hand' ~~ at first. (They soften with use.) Besides thickness of the leather (age), the ratios of wax /oil used, enyzmes & chemicals are considerations. Top coatings can vary greatly as well, affecting feel. Any leather can be tumbled to soften it. The less it is handled, the 'tougher' (stronger), or closer to natural, it will be because the fibers are intact. Any means to break or loosen the connective tissue will soften the hide. The soft skins of young animals require minimal processing.
This applies to suedes as well~ then you have a full range from barely buffed to fully napped, also affecting the handfeel and appearance ~ from matte to velvet.
Overall, there are many factors to mix and match for end results; these are only a few. Your softy calf is probably younger than the 'tougher' one you mention; both are very close to their natural state, which is good news for longevity & wear, as they don't have an artificial headstart on breakdown.
Now you have the short answer for that which has no short answer.;)
And the reason calf is worth the expense !

interesting. thank you for the info. i was wondering because let's take my quilted stam bag, i think it feels cheap. I really am disappointed with the feel of the leather of that bag and its been said that it is calf skin. However i love the feel of my ricki and loro piana linings.