Brad Pitt

...continued...

He said these days he felt like he was sometimes watching the movies he loved just vanish from the consciousness. “I love a slow, contemplative film—I grew up on the drive-in and whatever movies we could see, and that's where we had three television channels. So I look at youth today, and they absorb so much information and seem to like it more in quick bursts and don't have necessarily the palate to sit two hours for a film. They would rather watch a series for a quick bit, and then they can follow another one if they want to or move on to something else. So I'm very curious. I'm no longer shocked now when I ask a 20-year-old, ‘Have you seen The Godfather?’ And they say no. ‘Have you seen Cuckoo's Nest?’ No. And I wonder if they ever will. So that's where I go, ‘Ooh, is there a future to film? What will survive?’ ”

brad-pitt-gq-cover-october-2019-22.jpg

For years now Pitt has had a go-to analogy when people ask him about fame. (People do this all the time.) He describes it “as being that lone gazelle out on the plain. And the tigers, you know, they're in there. They're in the grass. And you've lost the herd. You're not connected to the herd anymore. And it's that. It is that loss of privacy. And being hunted.”

I've always loved this analogy. The honesty of it, the way that it—in its blunt mix of loneliness and fear and the feeling of being perpetually observed—captures what must be something close to the truth, without being particularly self-pitying or angry. He's lost the herd. It is what it is.

I asked if he felt any kinship with the astronaut he played in Ad Astra: another guy split off from humankind, gone places that can only be rendered to the rest of us by way of fables and metaphors.

“Well, that makes it sound much more noble than it is,” Pitt said.

But it shares that quality of, no one really understands, and you can't reliably bridge the gap.

“Until you see that other gazelle.” DiCaprio, maybe. He doesn't say exactly.

But how many gazelles are there in this world, really? Like, five?

“Yeah. No, it's odd.”

He was shaping up his hair again, running his fingers through it until it framed his face in a deeply familiar way. He looked like…Brad Pitt. There is only one of him.

“But it has its perks too,” he said.

Zach Baron is GQ's senior staff writer.

A version of this story originally appeared in the October 2019 issue with the title "Brad Pitt Is Still Searching

Source: https://www.gq.com/story/brad-pitt-cover-profile-october-2019

I like Brad's work as an actor and I think he's very good looking, but I'm actually more impressed with his behind the scenes work with his production company, Plan B Entertainment - they have produced some really good quality cinema, three of which have got the Academy Award for Best Picture (Moonlight, The Departed and 12 Years a Slave)

This list is pretty impressive. I've come to associate the company with good films.

2004 Troy
2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
2006 The Departed
2006 Running with Scissors
2007 Year of the Dog
2007 A Mighty Heart
2007 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2009 The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
2009 The Time Traveler's Wife
2010 Kick-Ass
2010 Eat, Pray, Love
2011 The Tree of Life
2011 Moneyball
2012 Killing Them Softly
2013 World War Z
2013 12 Years a Slave
2014 Selma
2015 True Story
2015 The Big Short
2016 Moonlight
2016 The Lost City of Z
2016 Voyage of Time
2017 War Machine
2017 Okja
2018 Beautiful Boy
2018 If Beale Street Could Talk
2018 Vice
2019 The Last Black Man in San Francisco
2019 Ad Astra
2019 The King
Yes, I think his success as a producer has made a lie out of the idea that he was some sort of dumb beach boy who just sat around stoned all the time

He kind of reminds me of Paul Newman .. gets even sexier as he ages and he is aging VERY well!!!!
Agree!

Also, he doesn't appear to be botoxing and getting fillers or a face lift, he's got wrinkles, he's aging and it's just so sexy and masculine. That is very rare in Hollywood. Even Clooney did a lot of stuff to his face, but not Brad.

I hope he starts a trend.

It does help that he kept his hair. (I think he kept all his own hair.) The hairline looks natural and there aren't many natural hairlines in Hollywood although some look good, like Ben Afleck, Bono, Matthew McConaughey, Elon Musk, Billy Bob Thornton, Bradley Cooper. Even though they look good, just not natural.

How the heck was he able to keep his hair, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Agree!

Also, he doesn't appear to be botoxing and getting fillers or a face lift, he's got wrinkles, he's aging and it's just so sexy and masculine. That is very rare in Hollywood. Even Clooney did a lot of stuff to his face, but not Brad.

I hope he starts a trend.

It does help that he kept his hair. (I think he kept all his own hair.) The hairline looks natural and there aren't many natural hairlines in Hollywood although some look good, like Ben Afleck, Bono, Matthew McConaughey, Elon Musk, Billy Bob Thornton, Bradley Cooper. Even though they look good, just not natural.

How the heck was he able to keep his hair, now that I think about it.
well it helps that he has such good features.....so age on a man with a very handsome face isn't a bad thing

Reactions: chessmont and limom