Bought a FAKE J12 and Paypal won't help!!!

Omg! Just got an email back from the seller.
---
What is this a joke? The watch I sold you was a 100% Authentic. Months later you are complaining because you are tired of it or something. If there was a problem you could have contacted me the week of, not now. The watch is authentic 100 percent.

You can do whatever you want. I sold you an authentic watch, you have had it for MONTHS and NOW you claim otherwise. I am not afraid of your threats as I have done nothing wrong and I will not not answer any more of your outrageous e mails.
-----

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I too was scammed on eBay by a seller who seemed totally nice at first. When I told her that the handbag she sold me was definitely a fake (and I got it UN-authenticated in WRITING by mypoupette and verbally by the boutique), she accused ME of blackmailing her and threatened to report ME to the police!!! :wtf: :cursing: I was sooo angry because I mean, WTH??? SHE's the one doing something illegal!!! And even in my correspondence (at least initially) with her, I was giving her the benefit of the doubt. After a few sleepness nights about worrying what I should do (I paid more than I could get back from filing a claim with eBay alone, and I didn't pay by Paypal :sad:), I got over it eventually. Believe me, I was so mad I was thinking about suing the seller, just on principle! But now I never buy anything on eBay that's over $20.

It's horrible how there are so many nice people in the world, but the few that are out to hurt others just ruin it for everyone else! Sorry about the long rant, but GOOD LUCK and best wishes on getting your money back!!! Please keep us posted!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Keep trying with Amex. They are pretty good with things like this.

Now I'm not trying to make you feel bad. But I know you got a fake watch, and for that kind of money, why wouldn't you when you first rec'd it, went into Chanel the day after, to get it authenticated?? I know you trusted the seller, but still, you have never met this person before. Sadly, half of the J12s on ebay are fake.

Oh I really hope I can help you but I'm not professional about this field but this is the link you want-to find ID by email address:

eBay Search: Find a Member

I hope you'll find your money in full amount, she has no right to do this bad thing to you! Good luck :smile:

Thanks girls, I just filed a report with ic3.gov and Paypal. Both would probably not do much help but it's good to leave a record anyway. My husband just saw the reply and he's shocked that how the seller can be so naive and stubborn and won't at least apologize. Well, I guess like what u said, she's afraid to lose that $6500. But does she have to be so hostile about it?

Funny thing is that she was even so thoughtful to insure the package for $6500 when it was mailed to me.

I have her email address (from which she still replied, fake sellers would probably just cancel theirs.. right?) and have long forgotten her eBay ID since we did settle this outside of eBay. Does anyone know if there's a way to find out one's eBay ID via their email address?

I guess even with a very reputable seller, items can be fake beyond their knowledge. Guess Ill be shopping only at the boutiques from now on...ha

Do you have the name and home address of the seller? If not, can you put her phone #in a reverse directory to get it? If you have her address and you (maybe) have an atty, friend who can send her a letter advising that you are going to purse her fraud through the court - perhaps you will get some response. i was going to suggest small claims court but that is good for only $1000 or less, I think.
You were and still are very trusting...but some people are real good at pulling off scams and you need to fight back.

shanaM i totally agree!!! some people are really slimy and they will turn it around and get nasty acting like you are doing them wrong, when they are the ones who screwed you over
i think that the woman was really really rude back to you and i would not take that well after she is the one who sold you a fake watch i dont care who she says she got it fromm, bottom line is it was fake and she shouldnt be a female dog about it! ;) It makes me really furious to read that she was so rude to you and i do think you should fight back i mean i dont know if its worth the time to you thats a whole other story cause it is a lot to get in to, but i would be super upset and want her to have to reply/repay or at least get you in contact with this person some how:cursing:

but like shana m said some people are just really really good scam artists and DO NOT like to get caught!

Yeah Paypal can be bad. I had a negative balance in my account but my bank account was not linked to this paypal (only my credit card) but they called me every single day (even though I had been scammed by soemone doing a false chargeback). Eventually they did put it in the hands of a credit agency and that was going to be recorded agains my credit rating which was just not an option so I had to pay it!

I am sure though that there must be some legal things that you could look into with the credit agency. Like Pink for me it was only a few hundred pounds so I took that hit just to recover but 6,500 is too big a hit to deal with. I am sure there must be some legal thing you can do.

Thinking of you in this crap situation - keep us posted

Have you tried challenging it on your credit report with each bureau? If they don't respond within a certain timeframs (I think 30 days) it comes off your credit report.

Do you have the name and home address of the seller? If not, can you put her phone #in a reverse directory to get it? If you have her address and you (maybe) have an atty, friend who can send her a letter advising that you are going to purse her fraud through the court - perhaps you will get some response. i was going to suggest small claims court but that is good for only $1000 or less, I think.
You were and still are very trusting...but some people are real good at pulling off scams and you need to fight back.

Small claims may be an option but jurisdiction may be an issue. The amount depends on the state. In CA it's $7,500. It will be difficult to collect unless you happen to be in the same state.

For credit cards you can't even file a claim until it hits your statement. If you bought it in November, hit your statement in Decemer, mid-February is not too late to file for a chargeback. I would contact AMEX again.

I am pretty sure that you are protected under AMEX simply because this can fall under "fraud". You were defrauded and the fact that it took 3 months for you to discover the fraud should not prevent you from winning.

I do hope you get your money back and can put it towards a new J12 from the Chanel boutique. :smile:

I am pretty sure that you are protected under AMEX simply because this can fall under "fraud". You were defrauded and the fact that it took 3 months for you to discover the fraud should not prevent you from winning.

I do hope you get your money back and can put it towards a new J12 from the Chanel boutique. :smile:

If Am Ex gives you grief over the time period, fraud is an exceptions to the rule.
We had a situation with AmE with a charge that was over a year old. AmEx was notified & were just about to refund our $3500.00 & that company ran out & filed bankruptcy. But that was the only way they got around not giving us the money back.

Thanks shanam & lvgodiva! Reverse directory is amazing! I got her home address with the phone number I found. I also found her listed on eBay with her email address but since I have not had a successful transaction in the past 60 days, eBay won't disclose her ID for security reasons..

And yes spendingmore! I can't agree more with you on it. I was blaming myself the entire day yesterday for not having it looked at first thing when I got it. My husband keeps saying "it's okay, it's only money, it's only money".. but man.. A LOT of money (for people like moi :s ).. So I guess lesson learned.. never to buy from unauthorized sources!!!

It's always sad to discover the ugly side of human nature...

But then again, I would've never know how kind and sweet you girls can be if it weren't for this incident.. Thanks :heart: xoxo

Chanel can't give out any written authentication papers, so I guess I won't have any proof on paper to prove that it's a fake.

Man, I really have to admit that the fake watches are so amazingly "real" nowadays. My J12 feels and looks soooo real. The weight, the craftsmenship, the material.. I would've never found out if the watch didn't break and I didn't take it in to Chanel! I could've worn the thing for a whole life time and pass it on to my kid, grandkid... Can you imagine my grandkid trying to cash the piece at an estate sale and gets arrested for selling a rip-off? ha~:sweatdrop:

While Chanel will not "authenticate"
a watch, in order to prove yours is fake, perhaps you can get one of the girls here who has one (and has the papers that give a description)
to send the info. to you. you mentioned that your bezel does not rotate like the authentic watch and it is chipping. these facts alone should be enough to prove that your watch is not authentic and $6500 is a helluva lot of money for a "fake" sold under the guise of an
authentic chanel.
i hope you get your money back and i also hope that you pursue prosecuting this seller (as long as it doesn't cause you any more grief - cause then it isn't worth it.)

I have a white ceramic J12 w/diamond bezel that I purchased at Neimans in 2006. If I can provide any information or pictures to help your case with Amex please let me know.

Hi Loganz, yes, I did compare it with the ones in the store and I then realized that I've been carrying around a really really good fake. The most obvious signs are the diamond bezel (the dial won't turn), the link (change in shade, one link is actually turning into beige!!) and the ceramic portion of the watch cracked and chipped off (which explained by the SA that NEVER happens to J12)
Yeah, I guess I could see how she's scared of losing $6500 for unknowingly selling me a fake. But it still hurts to know that people can be so mean out there. It's so sad that I even advised her to confront her jeweler friend (believing that she wasn't a part of this scam,) and all I got was a nasty email in return. Well, guess it's time for me to learn a valuable lesson :cry:

don't stop trying to persue the amex thing.

Fake sellers like that definitely deserve it, but if you read my "troubled customer" rant awhile back a similar situation happened but reversed.

I sold a lady a box of my gently worn AUTHENTIC denim/dresses/purses for a very below cost price. That I personally purchased at retail prices and in department stores. She wanted to do a buysell thing. So after 1 month she claimed that they were fake. But had already sold half of the lot of merchandise.

she tried to return them and she had taken pictures of DIFFERENT jeans and bags that she claimed I sold to her, when I didn't even sell her that brand.

She might think that you could've done that switch-a-roo on her.

So in my opinion, try to reason with her and don't send her nasty emails or anything. Because she might just get more angry or run away from the situation.

It's an unfortunate situation but if you make her feel less threatened and she did purchase it from her 'friend' then she will work with you not against you.

Hope it all works out!!! :heart:

I have heard of paypal handing over accounts that they have banned to debt collection agencies. If they end up calling you, make sure you tell them that you've been defrauded by the seller of the item and that you have filed a police report in the state that the seller lives in. Definently file a police report against the seller. Paypal cannot go into your bank account and take the money, they did do it before and got sued for it, so I don't think they do that anymore. This kind of stuff happens all the time on ebay, have you tried calling paypal and talking to a supervisor about this? If you explain to them that you paid with amex they may be more willing to help you because they are aware of how good amex is to their clients. Paypal can freeze the seller's account especially if she's still actively selling. Good luck!

BTW I have been burned by sellers on ebay before too, but I still love it, just be more careful and always pay with credit card and get items authenticated as soon as you get them! Paypal is really good about helping buyers, I just filed a claim in paypal last friday on an item that was not as described and i sent the item back on Monday by priority mail and my money is back in my account today.