Tech Blu-Ray Players: Are They Worth The Money?

I love mine and do not regret the purchase even though we bought it when the prices were significantly higher. We are looking at buying another for the other room. It seems like the BR disk prices are going down and all the new releases are on BR.

I think I'm going to get one! I can get it for under $200, which isn't bad in my opinion. I love movies and so this is something in which I will use a lot!

Re: the cost of blu-ray movies. I have found that buying them on eBay is a great way to save money. I was in Best Buy the other day, and P.S. I Love You was $35. I went on eBay when I got home, and won a brand new copy for $11 including shipping!

Since you already have a blu-ray player (PS3), I would wait to buy another blu-ray dvd player. I'm sure the prices will drop a lot, as that's usually the case with electronics.

What am I missing? You already have a BR player in the PS3. Why would you want to buy another, stand alone player??

Aside from that, I think the future is streaming high def movies either from broadband connected TV's, cable boxes, or gaming consoles. I wouldn't waste my money.

What am I missing? You already have a BR player in the PS3. Why would you want to buy another, stand alone player??

Aside from that, I think the future is streaming high def movies either from broadband connected TV's, cable boxes, or gaming consoles. I wouldn't waste my money.

Yes, I have a PS3 (which is a Blu Ray player) in the living room.

I'm buying another Blu Ray player for the bedroom to go with my Sharp Aquos TV. And I don't consider it wasting money.

We have the same set up dele:yes:. We loved the picture so much from DH's ps3 that we bought a Blu Ray for our flat-screen in the bedroom as well. It was completely worth it and really makes a difference in picture IMO. Plus if you have a really nice TV you want to be getting the best picture from it and blu ray really increases the quality.
Just a little side note, If you have not seen Planet Earth in Blu ray you must get it! I thought it was amazing in "regular" vision but on Blu-ray it's mind blowing:nuts:. The deep sea / reef specials had some of the most incredible footage I had ever seen. I felt like we were literally swimming with the camera man and it completely took my breath away.

We have the same set up dele:yes:. We loved the picture so much from DH's ps3 that we bought a Blu Ray for our flat-screen in the bedroom as well. It was completely worth it and really makes a difference in picture IMO. Plus if you have a really nice TV you want to be getting the best picture from it and blu ray really increases the quality.
Just a little side note, If you have not seen Planet Earth in Blu ray you must get it! I thought it was amazing in "regular" vision but on Blu-ray it's mind blowing:nuts:. The deep sea / reef specials had some of the most incredible footage I had ever seen. I felt like we were literally swimming with the camera man and it completely took my breath away.

You're right! We have such a nice TV in the bedroom...and only a few cable stations that come in HD. I comment nearly everyday how much I love that TV. I can't imagine how much I'll love it w/a blu ray :smile:

I have been thinking of getting Planet Earth. I've heard it's amazing!

BTW, I love your avatar! :smile:

I'm just letting you know, most cable boxes already allow you to buy HD movies, and Netflix and Blockbuster are making deals with cable companies to allow you to buy movies from them through your box.

I just don't see the point of putting money in a technology that's going to be pretty much obsolete in a couple of years, but hey, it's your money. You asked if they're worth it. My answer is no.

The PS3 is actually the best Bluray player on the market. It's the only system that's entirely upgradable. It will always be able to play the latest features on new releases because of its online capabilities.

Sony's first stand-along Bluray players are practically obsolete and can't play some of the new movie features because Sony was still working on the product when they put it on the market to compete with HD DVD.

There are tons of Bluray movies available, mostly new releases and a few popular classics. Your best bet is to rent them via Netflix. Rental places won't have a huge selection, but their Bluray collections are getting larger as the format gets more popular.

As far as what Charles said about putting your money into a technology that will be obsolete in a couple of years, I kind of disagree. While that is probably the direction the market will take, it's going to be longer than a few years if you're looking for the high definition picture and sound quality seen in Blurays. If you have HD cable, you'll know what I mean. The signal can be so compressed, there's still problems with the picture and feed. The quality will vary based on your provider.

We have instant downloads through Netflix. If your internet connection slows, the movie will stop and you'll have to fast forward through the entire thing to get to the part you were watching. Very annoying quirks.

Bluray is on an entirely different level at this point. Plus the investment of $200 is not that lavish. You can spend that on a quality upconverting DVD player.

I also recommend Planet Earth, most shots are breathtaking. And if you're looking for some demo disks, definately pick up Wall*E and The Dark Knight (they filmed most of the cityscapes in IMAX format so they're super sharp).

As far as what Charles said about putting your money into a technology that will be obsolete in a couple of years, I kind of disagree. While that is probably the direction the market will take, it's going to be longer than a few years if you're looking for the high definition picture and sound quality seen in Blurays. If you have HD cable, you'll know what I mean. The signal can be so compressed, there's still problems with the picture and feed. The quality will vary based on your provider.

We have instant downloads through Netflix. If your internet connection slows, the movie will stop and you'll have to fast forward through the entire thing to get to the part you were watching. Very annoying quirks.

Bluray is on an entirely different level at this point. Plus the investment of $200 is not that lavish. You can spend that on a quality upconverting DVD player.

Fact is FIOS already streams 1080p movies over their fiber optic lines at 50 mbps. Trust me, that is plenty fast enough to handle HD movies. Comcast is converting to fiber as well and depending on where you live, they have speeds as fast as 12 mbps, which should be fine for HD. I will agree, it does depend on where you live, but I promise, in a couple of years we'll be seeing speeds of 100 mbps (It's already that fast in Asia). The stuff I'm talking about is right around the corner, and depending on where you live, might already be here.

We watch movies on the PS3 and the Bluray picture quality is great! I'm not sure I would purchase another one for our house that wasn't part of a gaming system just yet... like others mentioned, I would probably wait for the price to come down.

Also, the Bluray movies are crisper quality for sure - but as far as all of the "extras" that Bluray supposedly offers, I haven't really been using any of the extra features that come along with it. So in that respect, nothing has been different from regular DVDs. Maybe with time that will change... :Push: