Black Hardware- Chipping?

Jun 11, 2009
Hi All,

I'm eyeing an RM Love bag with black hardware but was wondering for those of you who own bags with the black hardware, does the black color chip off? How is it holding up after using the bag? I saw on a blog that someone's bag with black hardware was chipping off so I'm hesitant to make my purchase.

Checkout youtube reviews... a few have indicated that the black hardware chips.

Also, see amazon/zappos reviews for RM bags with black hardware.

although i don't own any bags with black plated hardware, i think even if it chips, it can easily be fixed with a bottle of black color nail polish or black paint that people use for painting plastic models.

Ive only ever had the black chip where it attaches to the zipper, not where your fingers touch it.
So it really is not that noticeable at all.

If you like that bag I say go for it! ;)

I have the love crossbody that has black hardware. It does chip but mostly due to my carelessness. I forgot I had it on as a crossbody one day a nicked a small area. I'm a sucker for gunmetal/black hardware though and still love it. I've had my love crossbody since August.

I had a Bottega Veneta bag with black HW that chipped. So I do think black HW is prone to this. I've had no problems with gunmetal HW. If it chipped and you know anyone in the automotive industry, it could probably be powder coated but that would require taking the damaged piece off and putting it back on. I think I'd stay away from black HW (unless it was a smokin deal).

My Small Amorous satchel has black hardware and one of the rings that is used to connect the long strap, has rubbed off a little bit. Here's a picture of it. I rarely use the long adjustable strap so I was surprised to see the paint has rubbed off. Thankfully it's not that noticeable so I don't mind it too much.

Attachments

• IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 4,128
Unless it's really cheap, I mean you feel like their giving it away for the price your paying, get it. If not, walk away. Something better will come along. It always does in my case.