Gucci Black disco vs. Black marmont shoulder (camera) bag

smile1

Apr 5, 2015
Hello all! I've been having trouble deciding between the 2 bags below and looking for some input. My husband will be picking it up for me in another city so I won't get the chance to try them on in person. The marmont is the one size up from the mini bag, called the "shoulder bag" on the Canadian website.

IMG_1476707884.394722.jpg

Considerations:
- need a versatile bag that can be used for daytime and casual dinners (don't go to fancy dinners a lot)
- would mostly wear it as a long shoulder bag as opposed to crossbody, and I have a petite frame at 5'3" (does anyone know if the straps are the same length on both bags? Or have mod shots of either on the shoulder if around my height?)
- like to be able to fit as much as possible in my bag, including a water bottle preferably (dimensions of both bags on the website are very similar - but would disco fit more due to being seemingly softer leather?)
- the marmont is about $300 more
- I like the gold hardware on the marmont but I like the pebbled leather on the disco

Thanks!!

Personally i like the marmont. Im not a fan of pebbled leather. Soho is a fav among everyone due to its classic shape and design.

Marmont can definetely be your Casual bag in daytime and classy but not loud during night with its moderate gold tone chain. Im a petite either. I dont have a marmont yet but im sure this bag will fit nicely to our frame :smile:

Personally i like the marmont. Im not a fan of pebbled leather. Soho is a fav among everyone due to its classic shape and design.

Marmont can definetely be your Casual bag in daytime and classy but not loud during night with its moderate gold tone chain. Im a petite either. I dont have a marmont yet but im sure this bag will fit nicely to our frame :smile:

Thanks for the input :smile: I do like the extra details on the marmont. I wish I could try them on in person to make sure they fit the same amount, and that the shoulder straps aren't too long! Haven't seen any reviews or videos on the marmont bag in that size yet.

Hi. They are both beautiful bags. (Not much help here).
Maybe the thread on the GG marmont will have you decide. Good luck. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for your needs. :smile:

Between these two styles, and based on my recent trip to Gucci to try on camera bags, I would definitely choose the Disco. But if I had to choose between the mini camera or the large camera Vs Disco, my choice might be different.
Recently I organised for Gucci to order the 'one size up from mini' size camera bag for me but when I went to collect it I did not like the SHAPE on me at all. Although it's a practical shape for wallets etc, it's very rectangular and it didn't sit nicely - it swung about when I walked. and looked awkward (I'm 5'4" btw). I'm a very fussy individual, so this mightn't bother others, however I wasn't expecting it and I was just lucky that the store had the smaller, mini size camera bag in stock at the time, which I brought home with me :smile:
I own a Disco bag but I wasn't carrying it so I asked the SA to show me the 'one size up from mini' camera bag against the Disco and it's about the same length but not as high, so noticably more rectangular looking than the Disco. Anyway, it might just be me, but I wouldn't recommend this size. I'm very happy with my new mini camera bag and I LOVE the look and feel of the large size camera bag too, but I'm not convinced by the size you're considering. And that's why between the two I prefer the Disco :smile:

Between these two styles, and based on my recent trip to Gucci to try on camera bags, I would definitely choose the Disco. But if I had to choose between the mini camera or the large camera Vs Disco, my choice might be different.
Recently I organised for Gucci to order the 'one size up from mini' size camera bag for me but when I went to collect it I did not like the SHAPE on me at all. Although it's a practical shape for wallets etc, it's very rectangular and it didn't sit nicely - it swung about when I walked. and looked awkward (I'm 5'4" btw). I'm a very fussy individual, so this mightn't bother others, however I wasn't expecting it and I was just lucky that the store had the smaller, mini size camera bag in stock at the time, which I brought home with me :smile:
I own a Disco bag but I wasn't carrying it so I asked the SA to show me the 'one size up from mini' camera bag against the Disco and it's about the same length but not as high, so noticably more rectangular looking than the Disco. Anyway, it might just be me, but I wouldn't recommend this size. I'm very happy with my new mini camera bag and I LOVE the look and feel of the large size camera bag too, but I'm not convinced by the size you're considering. And that's why between the two I prefer the Disco :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful! Good point about the rectangular shape. Maybe I will find a way to get to a Gucci boutique and try them on.

I love the look of the mini, just not sure it would fit enough for me. Do you find your essentials fit well in there?

Thanks, that's really helpful! Good point about the rectangular shape. Maybe I will find a way to get to a Gucci boutique and try them on.

I love the look of the mini, just not sure it would fit enough for me. Do you find your essentials fit well in there?

Yes the mini camera bag is perfect for edited essentials ; square wallet or card case+coin purse combo, phone, keys, mini make up pouch. Sunglasses have be worn or hooked over my shirt. It's a very compact bag, but a great size for evenings or for work or travelling in combination with a tote/briefcase/backpack.
I'll try to find some time later to take a quick photo of the mini camera next to the Disco bag - it's much smaller.
I'd definitely recommend trying the camera bags on but since I've made you aware of how rectangular the bag is compared to the Disco or the mini camera bag, you'll be prepared :smile:

Reactions: Pink_ice_cream
Yes the mini camera bag is perfect for edited essentials ; square wallet or card case+coin purse combo, phone, keys, mini make up pouch. Sunglasses have be worn or hooked over my shirt. It's a very compact bag, but a great size for evenings or for work or travelling in combination with a tote/briefcase/backpack.
I'll try to find some time later to take a quick photo of the mini camera next to the Disco bag - it's much smaller.
I'd definitely recommend trying the camera bags on but since I've made you aware of how rectangular the bag is compared to the Disco or the mini camera bag, you'll be prepared :smile:

Thanks so much :smile:

I have a black Gucci disco .... I can fit a small wallet, some make up items in a small make up bag, a small perfume and a soft sunglasses case with sunnies in them ... I cant say anything about the marmount though.

I love my disco for hands free trips and holidays ...

Definitely the disco. It is so light and comfortable and holds so much. I find the small marmont too small and not as practical.