Birkin Use

As much as i emphatise with your current situation, you need to speak to a marriage counselor.... Not seek advise about your relationship with your DH on a public forum. good luck.

I carry my Birkin's everywhere. I have no problem putting them on the floor, etc. ;) To me, they are a durable good that is meant to be used. I don't change my life and what I do for a handbag.

Most people have no clue what an Hermes bag is anyway. I was in Sephora the other day, and the sales clerk asked me what kind of bag I was carrying. When I told her it was Hermes, she had never heard of Hermes before. This happens all the time to me. My husband gets more compliments on his $300 messenger bags than I ever get on any of my Hermes bags.

Similarly like Ranag, i carry all my birkins, kellys and h bags everywhere and anywhere as they are less recognised compared to a logoed bag. My logic is that i wear the bag and not the other way round. I won't let my lifestyle be changed by what i am carrying. Likewise i won't be dictated by DH on what i should or should not carry as i don't do that to him. I bring my b's to farmer's market, wet market and hawker centers too.

Sit down & have a good talk with him as it's not healthy to keep it to yourself, as it will eventually lead to resentment.

Sorry to say this but I think your husband is really getting the Birkin on top of his head - it's just a bag. The way he whinges about it makes it sound like he can't really afford to buy the bag.
I'd never ever everrr mention anything about a price of a luxury goods in front of anyone, that's just too snobbish no matter he meant it that way or not. Just tell him if you want to control me so much with the Birkin, why don't you take it back and you use it yourself instead. It's just a bag, ask him to get over himself. Sorry to say this kind of thing to your husband.

The whole idea of buying YOU a bag is so that you are happy with it and can take it or use it whenever you like where ever you like as long as you're happy (that's the whole point). I think he got it wrong by thinking that by buying you a Birkin it makes him an indirect owner of the bag and can tell you whatever he wants to tell you what to do with it.

Your husband bought you a birkin for your anniversary - knowing how much you adore the bag. We all know it isn't exactly an inexpensive bag. He reacts the way he does is probably because this is no ordinary bag. Perhaps he needs gentle reassurance from you that you love your Hermes so much to want to use it all ways and always, anywhere and everywhere - you love the bag so much that you want to use it all the time :smile:
Have a nice chat with him that the way you choose to carry the bag is the best testimony of your appreciation of his love. A loving husband is worth more than a bag even if it was an Hermes birkin. I hope I have not offended anybody - it's just my personal opinion:heart:

Usually my bags are never recognized, and when they have been, it's been in very safe circumstances where it is just not a big deal. However, were I ever caught out realizing that I had indeed brought at $10K bag to some place I really shouldn't have (I admit the possibility is there), I'd just bite my tongue and know it's always possible to just dismiss the uncomfortable factor with a quick 'oh this? oh my, no, of course it's just a very good copy' ...

I'm not sure what's going on with the husband in this case, could be many things? Is it like, let's not take the mercedes, let's take the honda to Walmart?

So, it happened again this past weekend. We were going out to an AYCE salad bar and I tried to walk out with my birkin and he asked me to go change my bag. I got mad and said no one even knows what this is and how is this so different than the fact that we are driving a mercedes, wearing rolexes with diamonds, or me wearing my engagement ring to this salad bar. I think those are way more noticable. I also brought up the argument of decreasing the cost per use. I think he understood my point and the next day when i brought my bag to fast food chicken, he didn't say anything. What's interesting is he recently bought himself an hermes wallet to match the blue jean birkin he got me. This was about a month ago and he still hasn't used it and when I asked him when he was going to start using it, he said oh i plan to use it on special occassions. i was laughing and said what kind of guy does that? :smile: anyway, love my hubs. thanks for all the advice my tpf friends!

hluv, glad you were able to bring hubby around with some good, common sense arguments. You know, however, now that he's softened a bit on the issue, you're going to have to be extra, extra careful that nothing spills on or damages your bag in one of the questionable locations. Otherwise, you'll never hear the end of the I-told-you-so's. :lol:

Enjoy your Birkin, but please be careful out there!

I have to say that I agree with mistikat. I wouldn't like someone telling me when and when it is not appropriate for me to carry a bag. Let me judge for myself what is right for me.

My Birkin sees the inside of Costco more than fancy restaurants, I'm afraid! I take it most places, although I'm careful not to take into risky neighborhoods. Same with jewelry.

Don't worry about DH. He'll get over it in a bit.

So, it happened again this past weekend. We were going out to an AYCE salad bar and I tried to walk out with my birkin and he asked me to go change my bag. I got mad and said no one even knows what this is and how is this so different than the fact that we are driving a mercedes, wearing rolexes with diamonds, or me wearing my engagement ring to this salad bar. I think those are way more noticable. I also brought up the argument of decreasing the cost per use. I think he understood my point and the next day when i brought my bag to fast food chicken, he didn't say anything. What's interesting is he recently bought himself an hermes wallet to match the blue jean birkin he got me. This was about a month ago and he still hasn't used it and when I asked him when he was going to start using it, he said oh i plan to use it on special occassions. i was laughing and said what kind of guy does that? :smile: anyway, love my hubs. thanks for all the advice my tpf friends!

:nuts: That is so funny! Can you imagine him swapping out all his wallet stuff to use for a "special occasion." What a cutie!