Birkin on the first try?

if you live in Chicago, a friend of mine just walked into the Chicago Hermes and asked if they had a birkin and they said yes. However, it was an Epsom leather birkin and she didnt like it that much once she got to know all the leathers better but Hey! it's a birkin!

Good for her for turning it down! I can imagine that there may be some buyers-remorse-Birkins that just weren't the right size/color/skin but were purchased on impulse because they were offered. I guess I don't really have anything in mind so I'm not too picky.

I just wanted to say that I am SO GRATEFUL for this forum; the information and advice is just amazing. As a newbie crossing from the land of Chanel to Hermes, I had no clue that there is a "game" if you will, when it comes to purchasing a Birkin. Since I see other Hermes bags out for sale, I assume this only applies to the Birkin.

The things I learn from all of you!!

BTW: what a LOVELY gift for your friend. That must be a very special and treasured friendship.:flowers:

The ladies here are very helpful, indeed.

And thanks, this person is a very good friend and has been truly wonderful to my parents which I think I appreciate more than if she were kind to me. I wouldn't splurge on a Birkin for myself but for her I'd like to at least make an attempt at scoring one because she really loves the bag. I now know why she can't get one, since she's in China and apparently it's impossible there (as I learned from this thread!).

I was also lucky enough to purchase a Birkin "on the first try" while I was on vacation in France, but it took me asking at several stores (basically, stopping at every H boutique in every town I visited and asking if they had a Birkin available) before I succeeded!

While I bought like 2 very small things randomly before, the first time I walked into Hermes hoping to get a Birkin it did work out. Granted it took 3 days on walking in to see what was there, but it was still my "first" time.

I am under the impression that if there is a bag on the shelf, anyone is privy to it. So if you walk in and see a bag that you like on the shelf, you can ask for it- even if it is a Birkin. That means no games etc. So that is just luck and timing!

My mother didn't just get a birkin on the first try, she got a CROC birkin (green, PHW, 35) on the first try! I had purchased my first bag, a kelly (it was actually my first H purchase), and they trotted out the green croc beauty. While drool-worthy, it was completely out of my league, so I dragged my mother in and since it wasn't on anyone else's wishlist, she bought it! To this day I am in awe of that. BTW, this was in a small boutique in Europe...

if you live in Chicago, a friend of mine just walked into the Chicago Hermes and asked if they had a birkin and they said yes. However, it was an Epsom leather birkin and she didnt like it that much once she got to know all the leathers better but Hey! it's a birkin!

I have two 35cm Birkins, one in epsom and one in togo. I adore the epsom. It doesn't slouch too much, looks beautiful in white, and is a great deal lighter in weight than the togo.
Actually, I never set out to buy white, but when I saw it come out of the box I thought it was so pretty. Same with my togo. It's anthracite with ruthenium hardware, a combination I never thought about for a second. It came out of its' box, and Bam!. I thought it was lovely.
If your friend doesn't feel this way, I'm sure she can find many willing buyers. I'm very new to this blog, but I'm amazed at the amount of women carrying Birkins they don't even like. Why? I would honestly love to know why. I hope someone answers.

i was able to get my birkin in france. although i bought small stuffs like a scarf and a cadena. when i asked for a birkin the SA said to call the next day and i was offered a 30cm. blue jean and a 30cm. chocolate both in togo. Good luck!

the first time i visited an H store, i walked out with my first birkin! it was in Paris, which made it even more memorable and special. what a sweet thing you are doing for your friend and i hope you find one as well. it's all about timing i think. good luck!!

I wish you the best of luck. You are doing a great thing helping out your friend, so I believe you will get incredibly lucky and score her the Birkin of her dreams without too much effort on your part. What a very, very sweet friend you are :heart:

I got my first "on the first try". I asked and the boutique had one available. I had no idea about leather/colours etc but I absolutely love it and would have chosen the exact same combination had I a choice.

My second birkin was also a lucky buy - I called the shop looking for a specific combinaton and they had one in.

I think it's quite easy to get a birkin in a boutique - as long as you are not dead set on paritcular colour/hardware.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.