Beyond the Rack

Miss Kris

Jan 23, 2009
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with Beyond the Rack? They have great deals, so I purchased from them a few times. The first time, it took over a month to hear from them, and when I finally got a response to my emails, they told me they didn't have the product I had ordered. They then offered me a different size which luckily fit me. It then took 2 more weeks for them to ship it out. The day after Christmas, I decided to buy a few more items since I figured the one incident was just a fluke. Well, it's nearly a month later and I am yet to receive 3/4 of my order. I keep emailing and they just keep saying "it will be shipped soon". I can't cancel the order because they will just give me store credit; and frankly, who wants that when I am unhappy? I'm just curious to see if this has happened to anyone else? I did a search on google and it seems like many people have had the same problems that I have, but I'm just wondering if any tPF members have had issues? Thanks for your opinions!

I do follow their sample sales but have not yet ordered from them. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's always nice to hear other people's experiences about those sale sites before ordering from them myself. Sorry you are having so much trouble with them though. I'm sure it is frustrating!! Have you tried calling them directly? I had some trouble with HauteLook and I called and talked to someone right away and they were so very helpful!

I do follow their sample sales but have not yet ordered from them. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's always nice to hear other people's experiences about those sale sites before ordering from them myself. Sorry you are having so much trouble with them though. I'm sure it is frustrating!! Have you tried calling them directly? I had some trouble with HauteLook and I called and talked to someone right away and they were so very helpful!

I haven't tried calling. Maybe I should do that! It's definitely frustrating...I have a feeling my items weren't in stock and they are trying to locate them before cancelling the order. Alot of people wrote about that on google...

They take forever! I've only used them once...I ordered a shirt for my brother on Dec 23 and it was just shipped out today (Jan 18).

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one! The discounts can be great but if shipping is going to be this slow, I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm glad I didn't order as a present for someone or I would have been empty handed!

Thanks fort sharing. I've received their emails but will think twice from ordering now.

You're welcome...I am definitely curious to see if everyone has this problem or if it is just a few of us. Hopefully, if someone had a great experience, they will post. I hate thinking that I can't order from them anymore since the deals are pretty great, but the shipping takes wayyy too long from my experience and sometimes they won't ship at all...

You ladies are not alone! I too have been waiting for two separate orders (large orders, at that!) for like a month now. Emails to customer service go completely unanswered, and no tracking information is provided. For the price that they charge for shipping, why do I need to wait over a month for my items? I googled Beyond the Rack and apparently EVERYONE who orders from them has this issue with shipping.

I honestly think that I'm through with that site. I've been looking at Gilt Group for a bit now, perhaps this is a better alternative. Way better brands, and a way better reputation for shipping out items, from what I've heard!

As an update, I STILL do not have my items nor have my emails been answered for tracking updates. If I don't have my items in a week, I am going to do a chargeback I think. I spent several hundred dollars and I didn't think I'd be waiting a month to receive my stuff and have to deal with such bad customer service. Plus, who knows if they will ever even ship my order? So annoying! They shouldn't charge your card until they ship the items. I definitely don't recommend this site to anyone.. no matter how good the deals!

UPDATE:

So I finally, after numerous emails, got a hold of customer service. I think I have solved the extended shipping time mystery. Beyond the Rack does NOT actually have the merchandise that they sell. They have to order it from their "suppliers" in order to fulfill YOUR order. Now, wouldn't this be something they would disclose to the consumer? I'm very angry. Bottom line, girls - do NOT order from this site. Period! I haven't heard a single good thing from anyone! Please try Gilt Group instead. They give you an actual delivery date estimate (within 3 days) at the time of ordering, and their brands are wayyyyyy better and the prices are to die for! I just scored a Marc Jacobs dress that retailed at $460 and is sold out/impossible to find for $168!

Please see below for the actual email communication trail between myself and a rep for BTR:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Beyond the Rack - Order Status

Hi J'enay,

46460 - The merchandise is scheduled to arrive shortly from the suppliers.
You will be receiving a FedEx email notification with the tracking# and
estimated arrival date.
Your patience has been greatly appreciated and we will make our best effort
to expedite the shipping.

Note: We are upgrading our website in the near future to include a link to
the order's tracking#.

Best Regards,
Carole

Sent: January-20-10 2:58 PM
To: 'Carole Choi'
Subject: RE: Beyond the Rack - Order Status

Ok, what about the second order?????

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:49 PM
Subject: Beyond the Rack - Order Status

Hi J'enay,

Thank you for contacting BTR. This is an update for your orders:

43467 - Parcel shipped by FedEx. The tracking# is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
46460 - The merchandise is scheduled to arrive shortly from the suppliers.
You will be receiving a FedEx email notification with the tracking# and
estimated arrival date.
Your patience has been greatly appreciated and we will make our best effort
to expedite the shipping.

Note: We are upgrading our website in the near future to include a link to
the order's tracking#.

Carole Choi
Customer Service
T
514 733.4666 ext. 3516
T

From: Beyond the Rack Notification [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: January-19-10 2:46 PM
Subject: Contact request received

REQUEST FOR CONTACT/FEEDBACK RECEIVED:

Name: J'enay xxxxx
Email: [email protected] Message:

----------
I have ordered twice from your website, and I haven't received anything -
not even a tracking number. Today is the 19th, and I ordered the first item
on the 6th and the second on the 12th. Especially in terms of the shipping
price, these shipping times are unacceptable. I would like to know when I
can expect my items.

Thanks,
J'enay

Order #43467
Order #46460
----------

Please respond as quick as possible. Thank you

UPDATE:

So I finally, after numerous emails, got a hold of customer service. I think I have solved the extended shipping time mystery. Beyond the Rack does NOT actually have the merchandise that they sell. They have to order it from their "suppliers" in order to fulfill YOUR order. Now, wouldn't this be something they would disclose to the consumer? I'm very angry. Bottom line, girls - do NOT order from this site. Period! I haven't heard a single good thing from anyone! Please try Gilt Group instead. They give you an actual delivery date estimate (within 3 days) at the time of ordering, and their brands are wayyyyyy better and the prices are to die for! I just scored a Marc Jacobs dress that retailed at $460 and is sold out/impossible to find for $168!

I'm glad you found a way to get to the bottom of it! I emailed them saying that if they can't provide me a tracking number by COB today, I want the order cancelled and a credit issued to my credit card.. NOT in the form of store credit. I then said if they don't cancel the order or give me trouble, I will go through my credit card to do a chargeback being that they didn't meet their shipping terms of 5-10 business days. I'm SO angry with them! I have yet to receive a response to the cancellation request!

It also makes me wonder which "suppliers" they are getting their merchasdise from. Is it even authentic?! They don't post the names of these suppliers as far as I know...

I'm glad you found a way to get to the bottom of it! I emailed them saying that if they can't provide me a tracking number by COB today, I want the order cancelled and a credit issued to my credit card.. NOT in the form of store credit. I then said if they don't cancel the order or give me trouble, I will go through my credit card to do a chargeback being that they didn't meet their shipping terms of 5-10 business days. I'm SO angry with them! I have yet to receive a response to the cancellation request!

It also makes me wonder which "suppliers" they are getting their merchasdise from. Is it even authentic?! They don't post the names of these suppliers as far as I know...

I have been incredibly persistant, to say the least. :sneaky:

If you look at the email I quoted above, there is a CS number with the reps alleged direct extension. Why don't you try giving her a call seeing as your emails are going unanswered? -- Which is BS, by the way!!

The whole "supplier" issue makes me very nervous, as well. I have no way to verify the authenticity of the items, as you mentioned. Furthermore, isn't there some sort of law against selling ghost items? The company is based in Montreal, so their laws very well may be different than here in the States.

Where did you see the shipping terms listed of 5-10 days? I have a wonderful credit union, and I always order online using my Visa through them; I may request a chargeback as well...

I have been incredibly persistant, to say the least. :sneaky:

If you look at the email I quoted above, there is a CS number with the reps alleged direct extension. Why don't you try giving her a call seeing as your emails are going unanswered? -- Which is BS, by the way!!

The whole "supplier" issue makes me very nervous, as well. I have no way to verify the authenticity of the items, as you mentioned. Furthermore, isn't there some sort of law against selling ghost items? The company is based in Montreal, so their laws very well may be different than here in the States.

Where did you see the shipping terms listed of 5-10 days? I have a wonderful credit union, and I always order online using my Visa through them; I may request a chargeback as well...

On their website, under "Shipping and Returns" on the bottom of the screen, it says:

Delivery information
Your order will ship from Beyond the Rack within 7-10 business days from the time we receive it. Once shipped, delivery within the US and Canada takes from 1-5 business days. Delivery of international orders can take anywhere from 15-30 days, depending on your location. In rare instances, your order may take up to 15 business days to be shipped from Beyond the Rack. In such cases, you will receive notification via email. In all cases, a tracking number will be emailed to you after your order ships so that you can check the delivery status of your order. Please note: Packages cannot be shipped to post office boxes.

Also, awhile back, I received an email for a different purchase (when, again, I had to request the tracking number because it took forever to receive), the rep told me 5-10 business days. Now, as you can see, it says in rare cases it may take 15 business days BUT we are to be notified of this through email which we weren't! Anyway, we are well beyond even the 15 business days!! Insane!

OH this is good.. they cancelled one of my orders.. I just checked on the website.. yet they still didn't cancel any of the other 4 that I have yet to receive a tracking number for! This is the WORST customer service.