Best Size for Everyday Kelly?

I am 5'9, 135 and bought a 28cm. I went smaller due to weight of the purse due to chronic back pain and the mere fact I don't carry the kitchen sink and tool kit. There is still plenty of room inside the 28. Size depends on how much one schleps in a purse and one's height and weight. It's best to try different sizes in front of a full length mirror AND put what you normally carry inside the purse before committing to size.

English3222 - gorgeous photos and the real life shots for comparison are such a help. I also thought you were spot on with the description and how you use the bags.

Bagshopr - hopefully you will be able to try on various sizes. Wear your "typical" outfit when you go in too.
Looking forward to finding out what bag sings to you!

I'm shorter than you (5'4") but I'm not petite. I have VERY broad shoulders, am straight up and down and have skinny hips and legs. I carry a 32 Kelly. I have both retourne and sellier. My favorite is my cocoan chevre de coromandel - it's a sellier. I can fit a LOT in this bag, but I'm not someone who carries water or an extra pair of shoes - if one does that, then a Birkin is a much better choice. My retourne is a vintage black box. I like the retourne in box as it is less formal. I'm dressed very casually most of the time.

I think a 32 moves on into "dressy casual" evenings better than a 35 does. I did try a 35 retourne and could have carried it when I was heavier (I've lost 68 pounds!), but to me the Kelly is such a classic, that I think when it gets big, it gets a bit "trendier" and that's not what I wanted.

I LOVE chevre! Mine is chevre souple so it's not a stiff bag at all. I have no trouble getting in and out of either one of my bags - very easy.

I hope you have multiple opportunities to try on a variety of sizes, both sellier and retourne, and multiple leathers. Take your time - it's a BIG purchase.

Like India, I would totally vote for chevre if you could find it. It's beautiful, lightweight, and low maintenance.

I'm 5'10" and love my 32 retourne for everyday use. I agree that you have to arrange things in it, but I find this to be an advantage. I was always a big bag person before, and found that the contents of my bag would grow to occupy whatever space might be available: a big bag just meant I'd never sift through the receipts and errant sheets of paper piling up in the bag, and I wouldn't bother to edit the collection of 30 lipsticks accumulating at the bottom of the void. So for me, a 32 made me a bit more disciplined, and much better able to find exactly what I need in my bag. Others may not need to be forced to be organized, however. ;)

i just got a 32cm kelly last week and was wearing it to work for the last few days, to me it's a great size from day to night and it sure fits a lot compared to a chanel jumbo. for reference, im 5'4 and 110lbs...but i also think a 35cm kelly would give you a more causal look...HTH good luck deciding!!!

I would go with retourne in Clemence (or maybe Togo) and in a minimum of 35. I had a 32 and felt limited in what I could put in it. I ended up selling it and tried a 30 Birkin... still too small and just not me. So now I have two 35 Birkins and love them. I never thought I was a Birkin gal, but turns out I am.

Since you say you are almost always casual, etc. I'm wondering if you would love a Birkin even more than a Kelly!!

I think a 32 is more versatile than 35 (can be everyday bag, but not out of place if you want the outfit to look more polished), and holds plenty in retourne.
i personally find a 35 sellier cumbersome, with very pronounced presence of the corners.
I don't carry a lot so even a 28 is a perfect everyday bag for me.

Since you say you are almost always casual, etc. I'm wondering if you would love a Birkin even more than a Kelly!!__________________
I do like Birkins very much, but something about the Kelly closure appeals to me more. I really need to try one in person as I have never seen/touched one. I need to compare and contrast with a Birkin. Somehow, the Kelly looks more neat and controlled. I am casual, classic, but also very neat. I can't stand flying fringe or tassels or anything like that on my bags.

Like a few others have suggested, you might want to try a Birkin if you prefer casual. When I got my Black Togo 30 cm Birkin, I tried on a 32 retourne Kelly as well, but I knew right away that since I'm wanting a casual bag, I went with the Birkin. However, if your mind is set on a Kelly though, I would say that 32 retourne works great as an everyday bag bc it's a size that could actually work for evenings as well IMO. Since I'm very petite, I wouldn't go any larger than 32 personally and maybe even 28 would suit me better.

I love kellys in all sizes, they look so elegant. The size that works for my daily necessities would be the 32- if I used a 28 I have to pare down & bring only the basics. I'm happier with the 32 for a day out. I have yet to own a 35 but have tried one on in a retourne & it could work on my frame too (5'3"). Good luck with your kelly, hope to see a reveal soon!:tup: