Best Jewelry Decisions You've Ever Made?

saligator

O.G.
Nov 21, 2006
This is the place to list the best jewelry decision you ever made. Whether it was buying something that was perfect at the last minute, to resetting something you hated but loved afterwards. Let's talk about our successful decisions in jewelry!

The best jewelry decisions I've ever made were:

1) Resetting my tennis bracelet into a gorgeous eternity band. I never wore the bracelet and had it for 10 years. 2 years ago, I tore it up to make a ring (and used the remaining diamonds for a necklace). This was a great decision.

2) Returning the pearl earrings I thought would be the best things ever but realized they just didn't work for me.

3) Buying the Roberto Coin 1/2" 18kt gold bangle bracelet with a Saks discount and some gift cards I had. This was a great purchase. I love it!

4) Resetting my diamond RHR. This happening at the moment. It was stuck in a setting that didn't give it much light. We're pulling it out to give it more sparkle, I'm hoping this is going to be another "Best Decision!"

How about you? What are the best jewelry decisions you've ever made?

My best decision I've ever made when it comes to jewelry, is to stop buying silver jewelry frequently and go for gold instead. I own a lot of silver stuff that I rarely wear, I don't even like the color of it that much. Now, I've got myself some wonderful gold pieces that I wear almost daily. I cannot buy gold items as often, but when I purchase one, it's that much more precious to me.

My best decision I've ever made when it comes to jewelry, is to stop buying silver jewelry frequently and go for gold instead. I own a lot of silver stuff that I rarely wear, I don't even like the color of it that much. Now, I've got myself some wonderful gold pieces that I wear almost daily. I cannot buy gold items as often, but when I purchase one, it's that much more precious to me.

I agree, stopping with Tiffany silver definitely was one of my better decisions. It took me a long time to stop lamenting all the gold jewelry I could have bought at great prices during that time. And even now sometimes when I see the rest of my Tiffany silver that I haven't had time to sell yet i get annoyed lol. I see now my purchases were about instant gratification and building a collection quickly after my fine jewelry was stolen

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Best purchases?
1 Love bangle for sure, I regret not getting the 4 diamond.

2 before it was stolen my diamond studs.... Perfection for everything :sad:

3 is a love and a regret........I love having a diamond bangle
My regret is the damn setting- it's too big and goes over my love which defeats the whole purpose of buying It in the first place so now I have spend more money on something I just bought

4. Pearls pearls pearls!

5. Is it too early to say the ballon bleu? Lol

Last edited:
The best jewelry decision I ever made was to stop buying costume. When good quality pieces could be found for $100 or under, that was one thing. I even managed to score Chanel near that price point when they had their Woodbury Common outlet. Now, I see brands charging into the thousands for gold plated brass and semi precious stones. No way. Not ever.

My other best decision was to buy secondhand or on sale wherever possible. I've saved a good sum and found quality pieces that way. It helps that NYC has a number of sample sales and vintage jewelers to make this possible. I'm in serious mourning for the loss of great fine jewelry finds at Off Fifth now that they've changed their business model.

Most importantly, the key has been knowing what I like, what works and what doesn't for me. Going in with that knowledge means never regretting a purchase.

As others have said: to stop buying silver; to sell all if it except a few pieces that were gifts: and to use the money to buy modest but well-made gold staple pieces). When it really sinks in that silver is around $20-$30 an ounce, it changes the way you approach buying.

I love this one! I stopped buying Costume too! So expensive for what you get in comparison.

The best jewelry decision I ever made was to stop buying costume. When good quality pieces could be found for $100 or under, that was one thing. I even managed to score Chanel near that price point when they had their Woodbury Common outlet. Now, I see brands charging into the thousands for gold plated brass and semi precious stones. No way. Not ever.

My other best decision was to buy secondhand or on sale wherever possible. I've saved a good sum and found quality pieces that way. It helps that NYC has a number of sample sales and vintage jewelers to make this possible. I'm in serious mourning for the loss of great fine jewelry finds at Off Fifth now that they've changed their business model.

Most importantly, the key has been knowing what I like, what works and what doesn't for me. Going in with that knowledge means never regretting a purchase.

I agree about buying silver, though when I buy earring charms, I sometimes buy silver one set with diamonds because they are way more affordable and if I lose one, which is easy with earring charms, I won't feel as awful.

1) Resetting my one carat oval engagement ring into a DBTY bracelet. I never wore my solitaire. I prefer bands. Brian Gavin did a great job and I love it.

2) My LOVE! I just love it even time I look down and see it. I plan on getting a cuff too.

3) Pearl Dangles in 14k gold- I wear them all the time!

4) My Two Love Wedding Bands- I stack them on my ring finger and I never take them off.

I would say the overall best decision I've made is going with my gut, not with the popular choice. Some examples of this -

1. Getting a YG wedding set even though it was horribly out of style when I got engaged in 2000.
2. Getting the large size BB, even thought people will argue it's not a 'classic'.
3. Buying the JUC on the very first day it was available in NYC, even though a lot of people were still very unsure about the collection at that time.
4. Getting the XL Trinity instead of the classic.

1) giving up on the custom wedding bands that weren't going well and buying a half eternity channel set from Tiffany.

2) sticking with a solitaire for my engagement ring (even though it needs to be reset due to poor workmanship) despite the internal pull for a three stone with sapphire sides. Finding sides that set off the center stone I wear now will be nearly impossible.

3) repeatedly sticking with the modified round cut I have loved since getting engaged. Replacing this if I upgrade or have an insurance issue later will totally suck bec there's nothing like this one.

Reactions: darkangel07760