Best face cream for a 20-something beginning to see fine lines?

I really like the philosophy hope in a jar cream, but saw pretty good results with a teeny line on my forehead with the olay regenerist sculpting cream (maybe microsculpting cream?). It really got rid of a little line! I am 25 :smile:

Get a sample of La Mer's creams and see how your skin reacts. It's got mineral oil in it, and might just break you out.

I like the new La Prairie Biology Gel-cream that hydrates and prevents skin aging as well. Their line of Caviar extract works well to preserve the skin as well.

I agree with fashion1sta and the Bliss products - I love the Triple Oxygenating mask, Steep Clean mask, the milk cleanser and the Sleeping Peel serum. All very good products.

Frequent exfoliation will be crucial to increase your skin cells' turnover, and sunscreen is the ultimate product! I recommend as SPF 50 or more - Lancome does some really good ones.

Other brands that you might want to try: Natura Bisse (Love their products. One of the best brands out there), Skinceuticals (Dermatologists use their products, and they focus a lot on prevention) and Decleor (I love their Prolagene gel that repairs skin - can be used on the face and body as well)

Don't forget to moisturize your neck daily and have a good lifestyle - don't smoke, have a good diet, etc.

Trying not to start a new thread here as my question is basically summed up in the title. More specifically, though, what is the best cream/regimen for existing fine lines, can they really be reduced, and how patient will I need to be?? I just didn't protect my skin at all when I was younger, and believe you me I've already changed my ways. Someone help me erase my profligate past!

The best is an Rx retinoid, like Retin-A, Tazorac, or Differin. They treat fine lines, dark spots, freckles, and acne. They all come in various strengths and have gel and cream forms. The only downside is that it can be irritating and make skin dry, but if you use it with moisturizer and start slow, like applying only every other or every third day and working up to everyday you should be fine.

I have tried them all, and I think the best is either the Differin or the Tazorac. Differin is milder so the results are a little less than with the Tazorac but it is a LOT less irritating so it's easier to stick with. But Tazorac is really good too, it does work better but you have to tolerate some peeling and dryness. I would suggest cream over gel for both, gel is really drying, especially the Tazorac one, although Tazorac gel does work well if you only use it in certain spots and not on the whole face.

I know it sounds nuts...but a little botox helps. I think of it as preventative medicine. I get it in my forehead and in between the brows. since i'm young still (27) they dont need to inject as much as say my mom would need bc i dont have deep set lines yet. along with that, sunscreen!!!!

DreamingBeauty, do you know what's in those products that makes Rx necessary?

ambicion6, I don't know if I'm ready to go for botox! A friend of mine just finished med school and does her own botox . .. but she says it only lasts for three months before all the lines start showing again.

DreamingBeauty, do you know what's in those products that makes Rx necessary?

ambicion6, I don't know if I'm ready to go for botox! A friend of mine just finished med school and does her own botox . .. but she says it only lasts for three months before all the lines start showing again.

Retinoids (Vit A derivative) are Rx b/c they are pretty strong and not suitable for all skin types. Most can use at least one type if they start slow, just using every other day or even 3rd day for awhile and slowly working up to more. A lot of people would just use more, more, more right away though if they just bought it off a shelf, a doctor needs to emphasize the starting slow method or else you just get red, peely, and give up completely. It also can make someone more sensitive to the sun, so you have to use sunscreen daily and not tan. Tanning defeats the purpose anyway b/c it just causes more hyperpigmentation and wrinkles which is what you are trying to treat. Also they should not be used by pregnant women as they theoretically could cause birth defects if enough product was absorbed into the body. It is unlikey enough would be absorbed to cause a problem but the drug companies have to cover themselves for every possibility.

Retinol is a less strong form of Vit A that is sold over the counter, brands like Neutrogena or ROC sell it. It doesn't give as good of results but also can be less irritating although retinoids are not all that irritating if used properly. The same stuff still applies though, it should be started out slowly, sunscreen should be worn daily, and they should not be used by pregnant women.

La Mer seemed like it wouldn't go well with my skin when I tested it out.

I like Clarins HydraQuench SPF 15 lotion as my moisturizer. I like it because it goes on thin and it's not sticky or too thick. I break out very easily:

http://us.clarins.com/webapp/wcs/st...5_C010404015_10051_10204_-1_31166_40093_10315
A fresh, non-oily lotion with ultra-moisturizing skin care benefits and UV protection that satisfies all of the needs of normal to combination skin, and all skin types exposed to strong heat.

How about using Frownies? I know you can get them at drugstores and drugstore.com

I haven't used them, but heard they were like a physical "Botox" that you stick to your forehead (or wherever there are lines), to prevent you from frowning?

It got pretty good reviews and are pretty cheap!

So I ended up trying the Olay Regenerist cream on a few recommendations. It really does make those fine lines look instantly less tired and . . . OLD looking. But my impression after a few weeks is that the effect is partly just moisturizing and otherwise just cosmetic. MAYBE things look a little better after I wash my face, but it's early to tell and they put that glittery crap in there for a reason.

The product definitely sits on your skin rather than being absorbed. It doesn't look greasy but feels greasy after a while and I have to wash my face by the time I get home. It also comes off in those tiny eraser-like rolls if I rub my forehead, which I am so tempted to do when it starts feeling greasy.

On the upside, the fine lines look better! So it beats nothing all hollow, but I'm sure there's something out there that beats this.

I have the same question as OP as well. I'm 22, but I'm already beginning to see smile lines and lines where I squint my eyes. I was looking into Olay Definity's Restorative Night Cream or the Intense Hydration Cream. Any reviews on these?? I have normal/combo skin and it errs to the oily side during the summer, but I like to have a really intense night cream.

I have the same question as OP as well. I'm 22, but I'm already beginning to see smile lines and lines where I squint my eyes. I was looking into Olay Definity's Restorative Night Cream or the Intense Hydration Cream. Any reviews on these?? I have normal/combo skin and it errs to the oily side during the summer, but I like to have a really intense night cream.

For something really intense at night, trying the Dior Capture cream. I don't see it talked about much on here, but it's really the only thing that's ever, ever worked for my skin. My skin is pretty dry for a 23-year-old so I use it during the day, but I think it would be good for someone that has normal skin that wants a strong night cream. The Capture line is anti-aging, and the cream is expensive ($115), but I've had my jar for like a year and it just takes a little dab. If you just used it at night, it'd probably last foreverrrr.

The best is an Rx retinoid, like Retin-A, Tazorac, or Differin. They treat fine lines, dark spots, freckles, and acne. They all come in various strengths and have gel and cream forms. The only downside is that it can be irritating and make skin dry, but if you use it with moisturizer and start slow, like applying only every other or every third day and working up to everyday you should be fine.

I have tried them all, and I think the best is either the Differin or the Tazorac. Differin is milder so the results are a little less than with the Tazorac but it is a LOT less irritating so it's easier to stick with. But Tazorac is really good too, it does work better but you have to tolerate some peeling and dryness. I would suggest cream over gel for both, gel is really drying, especially the Tazorac one, although Tazorac gel does work well if you only use it in certain spots and not on the whole face.

ITA! You should use a form of Retina-A. I am 28 and have started using Retina-A about three years ago and I the tiny lines I had in my forehead disappeared. I also use sunblock 50+ everyday on my face. You can not use any type of Retina-A products on your face if your in the sun. I also use Atopalm MLE cream which is good for dry and sensitive skin. I also like La Roche Posay Active C (which is asboric C (sp?)) Which I use in the morning.

Yes! I was going to suggest a retinoid as well. You need to have patience with them though - they take several months to see the results and a lot of times you have to try different types to find what works for you. i.e. - Taz works wonderfully for some but horribly for others. Same with Retin-A and Differin. I've used Trentin-X for years and I feel like my skin is very supple and smooth (same age as the OP). I can tell a difference in people's skin for those who use concentrated form of vitamin A vs people who don't. Eventually work your tolerance up for using a retinoid to apply around your eyes, as well. The most important thing to remember though is that retinoids are not spot treatments (as in you can't put it on one night then another night 3 months later and so on. you have to consistently apply it to all - or part - of your face).

A good photostable sunscreen should also be your best friend on a daily basis (I prefer Neutrogena but Avene and Banana Boat also make nice ones too. Though the BB was a little too greasy for me, personally.) C-Serum is great too - it helps with the rejuventation of skin. I also love the Regeriste line - the daily exfoliator, daily thermal mini peel, and foaming face wash are all great (and they smell like fresh pears).

Here is some good info for you to read:
http://makeupalley.com/account/sn.asp?username=tetrakis
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/retinoids
http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/StAmourOwl

PS - If you want to go the La Mer route... Nivea in the blue container/tin are basically the same thing. But a much different price tag. (however, it's the german, i think, version that is the same. the ingredients for the ones made elsewhere are different.)