Being honest with yourself when you love a bag

Jan 23, 2013
How do you all manage being honest with yourself when you own a bag that was on your wishlist - it’s gorgeous - but it doesn’t really function for your lifestyle? I’ve posted on here in the past and can really only justify having luxury items that I really use. I don’t want bags sitting in boxes on the shelf for that random wedding invite. I adore my envelope bag in black with silver hardware and my mini Lou camera bag in dark beige but the reality is that they are really small. I don’t personally carry that much (key pouch, keys, phone, sunglasses) but I have 3 kids under the age 5. Even when my youngest gets out of the frequent diaper changing stage, I’ll still need wipes, snack and a diaper or pull up so I really just never use these little bags. Would you keep them knowing you will barely use them for years to come or would you sell them and enjoy something slightly bigger and more casual?

I think if you truly love the bag and it’s not a style that would look dated a few years down the line, hold on to it if budget allows. With periodic price increases it may cost you more to buy back the same or similar item later.
What I do sometimes when I have a lot to cart around is to use a nice cloth tote for the larger items, and also use a smaller proper bag for my wallet, etc.

If you really love them; have the room to store them; and, can use a different tote for everyday, I would keep them. I’ve regretted letting go of bags that are no longer readily available to me, and I have spent more money buying some of them back. Taste and circumstances change, children grow older; it’s a matter of doing what best suits

ETA: just realized I’m saying what @chiaoapple already said above :flowers: :yes:

Honestly, my bags don't make sense for my lifestyle. If I were to buy a designer bag that makes sense for my lifestyle (remote work + inactive social life), then I will end up with no bag. :P And yes, one can argue that they're a waste of money but there are very few things in this world that make me happy. If I'm not getting into debt and I'm paying all my bills and I am saving, then I see nothing wrong with owning beautiful things that fill my heart with joy. I work hard, I deserve a treat from time to time.

Yes, this is probably me telling myself it's ok to finally buy the blanc vintage Le5 a7 I have been lusting after. :nuts: :love:

Functionality over aesthetics - I think if you aren’t using them as much you do need something a bit more practical especially when you have 3 kids under 5. You can get bigger designer bags, but also would they stay pristine when you have kids? I’m sure others will have suggestions for bigger designer bags - I wish Saint Laurent would make bigger bags
Have you seen the icare tote? It's huge! Also the sade is an oversize clutch that can have a chain added to serve as a more functional bag with a decent amount of interior space :smile:

Honestly, my bags don't make sense for my lifestyle. If I were to buy a designer bag that makes sense for my lifestyle (remote work + inactive social life), then I will end up with no bag. :P And yes, one can argue that they're a waste of money but there are very few things in this world that make me happy. If I'm not getting into debt and I'm paying all my bills and I am saving, then I see nothing wrong with owning beautiful things that fill my heart with joy. I work hard, I deserve a treat from time to time.

Yes, this is probably me telling myself it's ok to finally buy the blanc vintage Le5 a7 I have been lusting after. :nuts: :love:
Reading your post, you could have been describing me. I couldn't agree more, I hope you get the bag you desire ;)

AMEN to "And yes, one can argue that they're a waste of money but there are very few things in this world that make me happy."

I can usually tell based on how I feel.
I'm more of a function over style sort of person and will want to get rid of things that no longer work or I don't reach for anymore. When I find out there's something that does not work, I feel bothered by its existence. That feeling just grows until I can't stand it anymore and finally sell or give away the bag.

However, I do have 2 occasion bags (1 YSL clutch and 1 moynat mini rejane crossbody bag) that do not get as much use as my other bags. At most the rejane gets used once a month, and for the YSL it may get used once every other month. (that does change when holidays come around).
The YSL clutch is my go to evening/event bag and my moynat mini is for when I go out with dogs (very extra I know, but it's so light and hands free, it's perfect for that purpose haha)
Even though I use them only once a while, when I look at them, I still love them :love: and I don't have that annoying feeling that they're taking up space or bothered by them being there. So that for me, tells me that I still love them and enjoy having them :biggrin: (even if I'm barely using them).

Thank you all for your input! It shows how it is a tough choice because you can view it so many different ways. I know it comes down to personal preference. Sadly, I don’t get out much without the kids unless I’m going to work. When I do go out, it’s not formal. When I go out to an upscale dinner for date night, it’s still appropriate for the toy Loulou with a chain strap. With that said, the envelope bag really is a dream bag and will stay for sure. It’s my occasion bag but can be dressed down as needed. I think the mini Lou is a gorgeous color and can be dressed up or down but there is something about the bag that I can’t put my finger on. It might be the bright gold (I wear my Tiffany silver all the time) plus it’s paired with the short tassel. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like my style. I think the large camera bag in black with aged silver hardware is cool because the tassel is edgy and I wear a lot of black even though I have other black bags haha. I’d prefer that bag and I’d get a lot of use out of it. I’d be left with no light colored dressy bag but if I dress for a formal event - I’m usually in black haha so the envelope bag it is. I have a feeling that if I keep the dark beige mini Lou it’s because it completes me capsule bag wardrobe but in reality - I rarely reach for a small dressy light colored bag. Ugh I hate when I keep things because I might use it one day. I think my Damier ebene alma bb serves my needs for a brown tone bag to dress up. Sorry for rambling. I have my 2 year old and 4 month old with me so just writing fast

I don't own a bag that I don't love. Well maybe 1. I can go a while with not using a bag but I always get around to using it event ually. And when I do I feel like the bag is new and I can't explain how excited I am to use it again. For example my Speedy B 30 went unused since the pandemic. I finally gave it some love a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying it nonstop ever since. I guess I've learned to be discerning with my purchases and buy only what I truly love and what functions in my lifestyle.

Thank you all for your input! It shows how it is a tough choice because you can view it so many different ways. I know it comes down to personal preference. Sadly, I don’t get out much without the kids unless I’m going to work. When I do go out, it’s not formal. When I go out to an upscale dinner for date night, it’s still appropriate for the toy Loulou with a chain strap. With that said, the envelope bag really is a dream bag and will stay for sure. It’s my occasion bag but can be dressed down as needed. I think the mini Lou is a gorgeous color and can be dressed up or down but there is something about the bag that I can’t put my finger on. It might be the bright gold (I wear my Tiffany silver all the time) plus it’s paired with the short tassel. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like my style. I think the large camera bag in black with aged silver hardware is cool because the tassel is edgy and I wear a lot of black even though I have other black bags haha. I’d prefer that bag and I’d get a lot of use out of it. I’d be left with no light colored dressy bag but if I dress for a formal event - I’m usually in black haha so the envelope bag it is. I have a feeling that if I keep the dark beige mini Lou it’s because it completes me capsule bag wardrobe but in reality - I rarely reach for a small dressy light colored bag. Ugh I hate when I keep things because I might use it one day. I think my Damier ebene alma bb serves my needs for a brown tone bag to dress up. Sorry for rambling. I have my 2 year old and 4 month old with me so just writing fast
One thing I know for myself is that if a bag is too small for me, I won't use it. I absolutely love the mini lou but didn't buy it just because I knew I would hate it because of the size and its a tad youngish for me. So it wasn't a must have.

I think you put your finger right on it. It's not your style. Don't fret over it too much.

Reactions: keishapie1973
Yeah I think I have to decide if the style is definitely for me. It is beautiful. I love the shine of the leather in the dark beige - it like glistens. I think it’s helpful to remember that these aren’t bags for just a trend or moment, I intend on having them for a long time and they are classic styles that will last many years. It’s so sad to remind myself that my babies will not need me to carry their things for very long but it is true.

I think if you truly love the bag and it’s not a style that would look dated a few years down the line, hold on to it if budget allows. With periodic price increases it may cost you more to buy back the same or similar item later.
What I do sometimes when I have a lot to cart around is to use a nice cloth tote for the larger items, and also use a smaller proper bag for my wallet, etc.
Same!!!

Reactions: chiaoapple