BE Purple Leather Concerns....Yes or No?

no way! Was this for the medium or large?
I bet I could get her to switch, since mine wasn't a bespoke order (like the apple LMM)....I'll have to talk to her and get her opinion on which would work better for me
thanks!

no way! Was this for the medium or large?
I bet I could get her to switch, since mine wasn't a bespoke order (like the apple LMM)....I'll have to talk to her and get her opinion on which would work better for me
thanks!
I also let lovebags2 know, since she is the BE matriarch! This is what Jackie wrote me:

I am probably going to release a line sheet showing images for fall and allowing people to pick and choose their pre-orders for then.
SM won't be on it, but we will be able to make bespokes to order. We require
4-5 people, the more the better. I know one other person who almost definitely wants to order the SM in purple crash.
This will allow people to order things that the stores have ordered, which we may or may not be ordering ourselves. This way, everyone gets the opportunity to REALLY make their own bags to order, not just what we are making for our own stock.
These will be delivered probably in July or August, tbc.

Let me know where you are headed!

I haven't read about all the issues of the Purple leather (just a few) and yes, I am definitely hesitant about buying one now. I have never used any sort of protection on my bags. I also have 2 young kids and I'm not about to baby one of my bags- I have my hands full as it is.

I have emailed Jackie a few times, asking about purple, and I have to say, she hasn't been that responsive to my emails but it seems others have gotten faster responses.

Although these bags look lovely, at this point, for me, I'm going to pass. I'm also hesitant about purchasing a bag from overseas, having to pay additional fees, etc.. I have no idea what BE's return policy is like, although I imagine it's easier to return something within the US than back overseas.

It is true that I rotate my bags regularly, but I will say my LMM has seen a fair bit of action and has held up beautifully thus far. My SM, I have used 2 weeks straight when I first got it and besides the bit of corner wear, it looks great as well.

I never use the same bag long enough to consider it an everyday bag, so I can't comment on wear if one were to use it everyday. I will assume it will be fine, as long as one was not too abusive of their bag. Maybe others who have had their BEs for longer can better comment on wear. My SM in wine that i bought previously used is holding up great as well. It is super slouchy and comfy. Nicely broken in and it looks great. The leather has worn nicely on that bag.

So, it looks like we have 2 bags with peeling although, one is very minor. There was so much talk about the issues, but I can't remember if anyone else had the same problem? Does anyone who uses their bags have purple without any issues? I just don't know if this is enough to scare me away yet. I wonder if anyone has issues with the fusia? I would think it would be a similar leather.

Well, I desperately want the purple custom order I have, and its not going to be my everyday bag. I am just going to have to make sure to ask Jackie about it's care more indepth.

Still waiting to see if there are any other problems...any other colors at all that had peeling?

We've got a slight bit of rubbing on one bag and something that might be peeling/rubbing/water damage on another.
I'm personally OK with a bit of rubbing on a bag, especially in coloured soft leather, although it hasn't happened to my petrol tote yet! It's happened to me in the past with several good quality bags - I just get the shoe polish out and go over it.
Admittedly, it's never "as new", but it all blends nicely. I don't mind this sort of thing - heck, there are even some handbag companies that promote this sort of wear as being unique and vintage! I know it's not for everyone and I think the crash leathers and matte leathers might be more suitable for those who do mind.
I don't really know about the other bag, but it may be a one-off and we don't actually know exactly how the damage occured.
I'm just trying to be rational about it all - no offence is meant to anyone.

Well, I desperately want the purple custom order I have, and its not going to be my everyday bag. I am just going to have to make sure to ask Jackie about it's care more indepth.

Still waiting to see if there are any other problems...any other colors at all that had peeling?
Ya know, I have been sick all day and have poured through a lot of threads as I sit here. My DH has been awesome with the kids--just to note. But, i think too I am going to go foward with the Purple or Purple Crash. It will not be an everyday bag and like you--crazy4--I really want purple. The color is something I never had and my DH really likes it too. I just really feel for sara999 and I want her satisfied with her bag.

Like I have mentione before, I hope to get a leather sample of the Purple Crash so I can make an informed decision. I hate returning things and especially since this is overseas, it must be unanimous for me.

Thank you cornflower blue for your honest post!

Aww savvy23, nice husband! Sorry you are sick tho..

The purple is just so TDF, but my concern was the peeling, and as long as that part can be prevented with a good conditioner/waterproofing, then thats great. I like real, used leather bags, I don't mind some rubbing etc, but the peeling, that just got me worried.

And Cornflower, no offence taken, I really wanted everyones opinions in one place to read, good, bad ,everything!

I DO think the crash leathers are the best for everyday from what I can glean from all the posts, and that's great to know, because there's that plum crash coming up soon!

I have a purple LM that I got in February and used for two weeks straight before rotating (that's a long time for me). After the problems I read about, I pulled the bag out and expected to see problems on the bottom or the corners -- nothing. Everything is fine (and it still has that heavenly smell!). I have not put any leather conditioner on it because I don't want to lose that smell to something else.

I do rotate my bags and I treat them with respect but I am not immune to brushing into things by any means, especially doorframes and in and out of the car. I would not be afraid to order the purple again. Just my two cents.

So, I guess we will never know the cause but it does seem somewhat isolated. I'm sure all will work out between Sara and Jackie. I absolutely love the purple color and will probably get that in the fall (after my black crash and tan:P).

So, it looks like we have 2 bags with peeling although, one is very minor. There was so much talk about the issues, but I can't remember if anyone else had the same problem? Does anyone who uses their bags have purple without any issues? I just don't know if this is enough to scare me away yet. I wonder if anyone has issues with the fusia? I would think it would be a similar leather.

Fusia?:wtf: Okay, I have to point out that I CAN spell. I need to quit typing so fast.:P

Personally, I think it's easy to get caught up in the hype and become concerned with something that isn't certain.

I think people have to look at the number of handbags Jackie produces with success, before any negative conclusions can be jumped to.

Like anything else, some people will always worry about something that hasn't yet happened or affected them in any way.

I honestly believe that one or two bags exhibiting normal wear and tear is hardly valid to justify a thread on "concerns" about the leather.

I have faith in Jackie and feel that she puts out a very high quality handbag. How it's worn and taken care of varies from person-to-person.

If people here honestly believe that there is a manufacturing defect in the leather, I'd suggest you contact Jackie directly because as much as it can be discussed and dissected into oblivion here.....there's nothing like getting the truth directly from the founder of BE herself, at which point, I'd be more than happy to partake in the discussion. :yes: