BE and Kooba

I have to say I love my LPs. I love the shape of them, the design, the fact the satchels have the perfect length drop for me - they just sit in the right spot on my body. That being said, I haven't bought any for years and I have no idea of the price point they are at now - I used to think they were good value for their price. The leather doesn't feel as nice as BE, but it feels more durable.

That is very strange. Every Kooba bag I have ever had since 2004 were all made in China. Where did you get your bag? Could it be a Prototype?

Hmm... This is strange. I have a black Kooba Blake and unless I'm terribly mistaken it stated "made in Italy" right inside.

I'll investigate this further when we return home next week!

Meanwhile, if most Kooba's past 04 aren't made in Italy then that helps explain a lot to me on their pricing!

Hmm... This is strange. I have a black Kooba Blake and unless I'm terribly mistaken it stated "made in Italy" right inside.

I'll investigate this further when we return home next week!

Meanwhile, if most Kooba's past 04 aren't made in Italy then that helps explain a lot to me on their pricing!

Lovebags, as far as I know, no Koobas were ever made in Italy before 04 or after. It is a US New York based company. All of the older Koobas I have had pre 2004 either were made in China with some of the earliest being made in NYC. The Inner floral or striped designs were very colorful and on their zippers were fabric labels that said Kooba NYC. The Company started in 1998.
The Blake is a newer bag from last season and no new Koobas were made anywhere but China. I don't want to alarm you but there have been alot of Fake Blakes and one of the prime tactics of Couterfeiters were to put Made in Italy in the bags to make them seem even more valuable.

Do you mean the price is lower or higher being that they aren't made in Italy? Most Koobas retail for 595-725.

Lovebags, as far as I know, no Koobas were ever made in Italy before 04 or after. It is a US New York based company. All of the older Koobas I have had pre 2004 either were made in China with some of the earliest being made in NYC. The Inner floral or striped designs were very colorful and on their zippers were fabric labels that said Kooba NYC. The Company started in 1998.
The Blake is a newer bag from last season and no new Koobas were made anywhere but China. I don't want to alarm you but there have been alot of Fake Blakes and one of the prime tactics of Couterfeiters were to put Made in Italy in the bags to make them seem even more valuable.

Do you mean the price is lower or higher being that they aren't made in Italy? Most Koobas retail for 595-725.

Oh Dear! Thanks Lexie for letting me know about this issue with Kooba's. I had no idea nor did I realize they weren't made in Italy. Hmm..... I could've sworn mine said "Made In Italy" right inside. In any event, I let my girlfriend borrow this bag but once I return home from vacation next week I"ll look into this asap and get to the bottom.

The prices on the Luna Boston are just 195 & 295 for very nice Koobas (my Blake included). But, now that makes more sense to me why the prices are so low. I"m glad to know this even if I do have a fake. Knowledge is power and this sure is important enough to be aware. Plus, I"ll just appreciate my BE's even more!;)

Last edited:
I have owned three Kooba bags (down to two) and none of them were made in Italy. As far as the leather, only one has good leather IMO...and that's my Marcelle. Everything else stains very easily, which kind of bothered me.

$195 and $295 seem awfully low for Koobas. Even in outlets and heavily discounted sales, I have never seen them that low. Lexie is right on the money on the range...I did buy one at $475 retail but it was a small bag, a Kiera if I recall.

Overall, I like BE leather better.

After reading this I am definitely going to keep my Kooba Sloane!! I bought it from Neiman's a year ago on a chance clear-out sale, the leather is fantastic and I am so glad I bought it. And it is made in China too...I will have to go to a retailer to see if any of the tags actually do say made in italy...that is interesting!

Fascinating - I was desperate for a Kooba back in 2005 but real ones were hard to find in the UK. I have been nursing a quiet desire since then but I think that I will drop that after hearing what most of you say about their current quality.

I would advise anyone to go and get an older Kooba. You will love it. The Sloane was the same season as the Lena (06) and it was the last good year. New Koobas just aren't even half the quality of pre 2007 bags. I was the Kooba Queen in their Heyday and bought and sold probably 100 or so. Even the early early bags with colorful lining were such nice quality. They were so known for thick thick distressed leather. 2007 brought smoother but thick nice quality bags.

I see alot of Kooba discounted way down and partly I think because they just don't sell. I tried out a 2009 Tess Bag in Sky Blue and the leather was shiny and thin. You could poke your nail through it it seemed. I did see a Kellyn at Saks that was very very nice.

I went looking through some replica and fake Kooba websites and found bags with made in Italy on them. Lovebags, you really deserve a nice Kooba. If your bag does prove to be fake, go ebay browsing and find yourself a 2006 or earlier Kooba to see what a real Kooba is.....er....was :sad:

Last edited:
^^^ I will vouch for Lexie being the Kooba queen!:queen:

I have gone through on and off Kooba phases mostly because I loved the older styles with their heavy textured leather. I owned four of the older style Koobas and then last year I purchased both the Jacinda and Jaylin which I sold off almost immediately because I thought the styles were cool, but I wasn't in love with the leather.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the newer leather, I do like some of the tie style bags like the Elisha and the cute little Joley. I am a sucker for ties and bows (thus my Prada/Miu Miu obsession).

I have owned three Kooba bags (down to two) and none of them were made in Italy. As far as the leather, only one has good leather IMO...and that's my Marcelle. Everything else stains very easily, which kind of bothered me.

$195 and $295 seem awfully low for Koobas. Even in outlets and heavily discounted sales, I have never seen them that low.
Lexie is right on the money on the range...I did buy one at $475 retail but it was a small bag, a Kiera if I recall.

Overall, I like BE leather better.

I agree. I recently sold one on ebay, for $200 or so, but the bag selling market stinks.

They are doing coated canvas though and one of the bags I saw on Luna Boston on sale was canvas, I think.

Lovebags, I hope you don't have a fake Kooba too.

I don't have a lot of bags but they are all BE. I had never seen anything from Kooba until I became a member of TPF. I love the look of some of their designs but was wondering how the leather quality stacks up against BE?

Anybody got both who can advise? If I were to purchase a Kooba bag, it would have to be online as I haven't found any stocked here in the UK (or maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores!), same goes for Linea Pelle. I don't want to risk buying something online, paying the shipping etc only to be disappointed in the quality.

I have the following BEs:
Petrol SMM (gold h/ware)
Tan Matte Hold Me (gold h/ware)
Black Cervo Hold Me (purple lining, silver h/ware)
Choco Matte Hug Me (silver h/ware)

Wishlist
TMA Midi in Cream Cervo with red lining and gold h/ware
Aubergine Adore Me with grey lining and silver h/ware

i recommand u buy a Kooba. it is very good brand. but i still love BE and kooba too.

Hi Ladies,

I was doing my hour cardio yesterday at our hotel and guess what? It hit me what I "think" happened. I solved the mystery of Lovebags "Made In Italy" Kooba. You have to admit ladies I do add quite a lot of excitement on this forum. Never a dull moment with me around. LOL

Here's what happened:

Last month I cleaned house on many of my handbags. I've told you all by now that I'm a true fan of buy one and sell two rule in my home. In any event, I was going thru one of my Tod's bag and that's the ONE (I think) that said MADE IN ITALY. I think I got my Kooba and Tod's mixed up last week in my thread. Of course, I"m on vacation and I can't confirm but now I'm quite certain that's what happened. My apology everyone for the confusion.

Lexie, your a sweetheart. I'll properly reply to you when I return home.:smile:

Hi Ladies,

I was doing my hour cardio yesterday at our hotel and guess what? It hit me what I "think" happened. I solved the mystery of Lovebags "Made In Italy" Kooba. You have to admit ladies I do add quite a lot of excitement on this forum. Never a dull moment with me around. LOL

Here's what happened:

Last month I cleaned house on many of my handbags. I've told you all by now that I'm a true fan of buy one and sell two rule in my home. In any event, I was going thru one of my Tod's bag and that's the ONE (I think) that said MADE IN ITALY. I think I got my Kooba and Tod's mixed up last week in my thread. Of course, I"m on vacation and I can't confirm but now I'm quite certain that's what happened. My apology everyone for the confusion.

Lexie, your a sweetheart. I'll properly reply to you when I return home.:smile:

Lovebags - This forum would not be the same without you!;)

Fascinating - I was desperate for a Kooba back in 2005 but real ones were hard to find in the UK. I have been nursing a quiet desire since then but I think that I will drop that after hearing what most of you say about their current quality.

You're right Jenova, life's too short for a poor quality handbag!

Suzi - like you I was attracted by some of the designs with bows, especially the hobo that allowed you to vary the strap length but thin leather that stains easily and that changes colour (while safeley stored in a dustbag) plus poor customer service has decided it once and for all for me. I'm a BE girl all the way!