Banned from making too many returns? - Share your experiences!

To add to this:

I knew when everyone was overbuying for the hurricane (live in PA), that half of it would come back if they didn't need it. That's fine & dandy, but I've had people try to return cases of water! What the heck? I told both people who tried to return water that I simply wasn't returning it. I told them they could use it in the winter if bad weather arose again. A woman also brought back a lot of canned food because she said someone bought the wrong kind. I did take that back, but I told her that I had to defect every single can she was returning. She asked why, & I told her that we have to defect them because of sanitary issues. I feel that the only time we should have to return food is if the person says something is wrong with it (rotten, stale, expired, etc.). She could have easily donated that to a worthy charity or gave it to a family friend.

Wow. I can't believe people are returning things they got for the storm. I'm sure more bad weather is to come, it's winter! If they didn't want to spend so much on emergency rations, why buy out so many in the first place? It's like "oh, it didn't affect me as bad, I want my money back." it seriously would've been better to keep some just in case and donate the rest. It's almost thanksgiving. There's a ton of kitchens that could use that food. :/

Wow. I can't believe people are returning things they got for the storm. I'm sure more bad weather is to come, it's winter! If they didn't want to spend so much on emergency rations, why buy out so many in the first place? It's like "oh, it didn't affect me as bad, I want my money back." it seriously would've been better to keep some just in case and donate the rest. It's almost thanksgiving. There's a ton of kitchens that could use that food. :/

Some of the other service desk workers also had people return Halloween Candy.

That's the hard part about having a liberal policy. People take advantage of it.

That's the hard part about having a liberal policy. People take advantage of it.

Wow. I'd just cut my losses and eat the candy as consolation.

It really does suck when people take advantage of a liberal return policy. Ruin it for the rest of us and makes legit returns look bad.

I don't see the issue of this returning food. If its ok to return it per store policy what is the uproar over it? They are not returning an item that's forbidden or final sale right ?

If Target / Walmart whoever is ok with it and its ok in the return policy what's the issue ?

I don't see the issue of this returning food. If its ok to return it per store policy what is the uproar over it? They are not returning an item that's forbidden or final sale right ?

If Target / Walmart whoever is ok with it and its ok in the return policy what's the issue ?

I'm just iffy over sanitary reasons and any potential tampering that might have occured. Don't know where they kept the food, if they've done something with it (odd paranoia from my epidemiology class I suppose) So I just hope stores don't sell returned food. Then again, I can't grasp returning food because I usually just buy what I know I'll eat. Exceptions are if there's a recall or something horribly wrong with it. That's just my pov though. I just find it odd.

The only one time i returned food was when i didnt read the ingredients in store and came home to notice that it contained gelatin or is non kosher/ not (u)d certified. Otherwise, i would only purchase food items (even in bulk) of things i would eat at some point. No point of buying 100 cans of beans if you dont even like it!

elvisgurly said:

I work at a grocery store and people always return Halloween candy after Halloween. Everyone gets away with everything where I work. They just ask to speak to a manager and he says 'ok'

I know this isn't the same as in a store, but a while back we ordered some food through the KFC drive through. We got home and noticed they messed up our order and gave us cole slaw instead of French fries.

Husband drove back and got the fries, but noticed the employee put the returned cole slaw back in the refrigerator!!! Luckily another employee saw her do it and immediately trashed it right after.

Makes me wonder what happens when we don't see.

The only one time i returned food was when i didnt read the ingredients in store and came home to notice that it contained gelatin or is non kosher/ not (u)d certified. Otherwise, i would only purchase food items (even in bulk) of things i would eat at some point. No point of buying 100 cans of beans if you dont even like it!

That's what I tried to say in my other post. I feel it's fine to return a food item if it's one or two items that you realize you can't use, stale, expired, etc.

I just find it tacky that people have the nerve to return oodles of food items because they spent too much, didn't use it, didn't use all of their Halloween candy, etc.

I work at a grocery store and people always return Halloween candy after Halloween. Everyone gets away with everything where I work. They just ask to speak to a manager and he says 'ok'

I hate that most of all!

I had a customer the other day who wanted to return an item they bought in May, & our policy clearly says that we only allow 90 days for most returns. Some returns have a stricter policy. They said well we just opened the box & it doesn't work. I told them what I thought was right, & told them to call the manufacturer to see what they could do for them. A manager told a supervisor that I should've did the return, which kind of baffled me. Yes the customer would've been happier for getting their money back, but with some people if you do something for them once, then they expect it done all the time. I also said why do we even have a return policy sign hanging up if we never abide by it?

^honestly, sometimes I wonder why sales people care so much. NO offense, but it's not your money and not your loss, or is it? If it's ok to accept a return, and it's not a total scam, why not just do it?

CommeUneEtoile said:
^honestly, sometimes I wonder why sales people care so much. NO offense, but it's not your money and not your loss, or is it? If it's ok to accept a return, and it's not a total scam, why not just do it?

I agree. I've never returned food or shampoo if I didn't like it. But c'mon clothes or shoes? That's why I love kohls. You can return something from 3 years ago no questions asked with tags and you don't even need a receipt. It might be annoying for the salespeople but hey, welcome to the service industry. However they only give you back what the price of it would be now in the store not back then. Seriously if the issue isn't with commission or the item clearly used, just do the dang return.

That's what I tried to say in my other post. I feel it's fine to return a food item if it's one or two items that you realize you can't use, stale, expired, etc.

I just find it tacky that people have the nerve to return oodles of food items because they spent too much, didn't use it, didn't use all of their Halloween candy, etc.

totally agree!

also thats why i buy halloween candy i like, so i can end up eating it if i dont get enough trick or treaters.. like this year lol.

I agree. I've never returned food or shampoo if I didn't like it. But c'mon clothes or shoes? That's why I love kohls. You can return something from 3 years ago no questions asked with tags and you don't even need a receipt. It might be annoying for the salespeople but hey, welcome to the service industry. However they only give you back what the price of it would be now in the store not back then. Seriously if the issue isn't with commission or the item clearly used, just do the dang return.

agreed... love that about kohl's!!!