Bags you DIDN'T buy?

Bags I talked myself out of last year:

Demellier New York Tote - It looks cool and reminds me of a cooler Birkin, but totes look massive on me. They look good on skinny, tall models, but I am neither skinny nor tall.
YSL sac de jour, Celine Nano Luggage, Celine Belt Bag - I don't need heavy or medium to larger bags since I barely use the medium bags I have.
Also, the demellier bag is 650 dollars which feels like a lot to me.

Reactions: Cali2HI
There was a sky blue Mulberry Bayswater on sale on the Mulberry site about a year ago for a breathtaking $800. I have a blue wool coat that would have gone perfectly with it. Although maybe too matchy-matchy. Thing is I bought the coat 4 years ago days before the pandemic hit and I still haven't found the occasion to wear it (too dressy). I worried the Bayswater would meet the same fate.

Tons! But there is one in particular that I loved. Technically, I did buy it but had to return it. That is the Coach Sammy. That bag has had my interest the whole past year, until now even. It comes in two sizes, and I prefer the larger, though most colors introduced were the smaller size, so that was the first problem. There was one version of the larger size I really liked, but it sold out while I was still thinking about it. I did order a larger size one from Coach through their “upcrafted” program that had rivets, and I love rivets so that made up for me not being in love with the color, and I was so excited to receive it. But this program uses pre-loved bags, and the one they sent me, one of a kind, had a pen mark that was not disclosed. Even uglier, it had a discolored patch around the pen mark where I guess someone tried to clean it. So I sent it back.

Maybe this will be the year for me and Sammy.

Ahhh....the Dior Book Tote. This print specifically. I managed to take several pictures of it and of myself carrying it at the store. The SA was super friendly.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't get it. I have a hard time with handbag made with fabric, and in my day to day, I prefer crossbody bags these days with durable leather pebbled leather or Chanel's caviar leather.

IMG_5850.jpeg

The LV Twist MM. I longed for years. But it never came in a variation I wanted (surprising, since LV releases SO MUCH stuff ALL THE TIME). Either it wasn’t the right color, or it was, but not the right size, or the wrong hardware combo, or the handle wasn’t to my liking, or the strap wasn’t to my liking.

I really thought, for $3k (when I first starting wanting it, back in 2018 I think haha), I should hold out for the right combination.

Now the MM is over $5k which makes me want to be even pickier. Also, during these years I found that I don’t like structured flap bags. They’re just not easy to use for me. So I am over my infatuation with the Twist MM. I never even bought a preloved one to try it out. Many times I’ll do that for styles I want but don’t want to buy full retail. But I didn’t even do it for the Twist MM.

I did not buy a Louis Vuitton Nano Speedy in Monogram Empreinte leather. I’ve always wanted a Louis Vuitton Mini Sac HL (aka Nano Speedy) in leather with a crossbody strap since the early to mid-2000s. I don’t remember them having one back then. When they released the Nano in leather, I had to have it. I tried it on in store. The bag barely fit my iPhone XS, a flat card case, lip balm and keys. It was super cute. I also tried their Speedy Bandoulière 20 in Empreinte and that looked better on me. I ended up passing on both. I have the Speedy Bandoulière 22 with the Coussin leather which is only 2 cm difference.

Ahhh....the Dior Book Tote. This print specifically. I managed to take several pictures of it and of myself carrying it at the store. The SA was super friendly.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't get it. I have a hard time with handbag made with fabric, and in my day to day, I prefer crossbody bags these days with durable leather pebbled leather or Chanel's caviar leather.

View attachment 5927355
Ditto. They really gorgeous but I would worry about wear. The large branding on the side is not my style, which also holds me back. So pretty though!

Luckily there were plenty of bags I did not buy :biggrin:, but to mention one specifically: The Speedy 20 in Damier Ebene.
I thought this would be the perfect little bag for me but when it got finally released, I was somehow disappointed. For some reason I did not like the look of it and the strap is ugly IMO. :shrugs:

Lovely thread @poleneceline
There are so many bags I talked myself out of and am grateful lol

1 Dior medium caro
2. Lv coussin
3. LV neverfull mm
4. Ysl small loulou
5. Gucci tote
6. Dior D-joy
I also thought about the DJoy! I reaized that I didn't want jangly or flashy logos, nor was I that feminine. If I wanted a bag with extra straps I could get the Coach Cassie instead. My current collection suits me best.

I just realized that I didn’t buy any bags in 2023. :shocked: Hopefully I’ll remedy that this year! :lol:

The bags I did pass on were:

-Chanel flap (I think it was the jumbo?) - I’m not a small girl, but even the SA agreed that it looked too big on my frame

-Chanel medium flap - did not work as a crossbody, which is a dealbreaker for me

-Chanel seasonal flap bag in lambskin - this was the hardest one to walk away from. Ultimately, I realized that I need to stick with bags that are more practical, not just aesthetically beautiful, and just sit on a shelf in my bedroom collecting dust.

-YSL envelope bag - almost grabbed this at CDG on one of my Paris trips, but couldn‘t quite pull the trigger. I really like it, but I’m not sure if the super structured, very boxy shape is the right fit for me.

This is a great thread, @poleneceline! It‘s really interesting to see what others have passed on!