Bags you DIDN'T buy?

I managed to dodge the bullet several times:
- Coach Tabby Chain clutch in Pink (mostly because the Coach C logo was covered in pink leather and I'm pretty sure I would have scuffed it first thing), instead I got a 2nd hand Coach Foldover crossbody which I love and use a lot
- Coach Tabby 26 in Chalk, instead got a 2nd hand Decadent Copenhagen white crossbody
- Fjällräven Kånken (I have a teal Pacsafe backpack in the same size so no need to double up, plus the shoulder straps are too short on the Kånken to be comfortable for both shoulder carry)
- Coach tote (I'm not crazy about the brass HW on the black leather. If I had come across the Faded Blue color with silver HW I probably would have slipped)
- Furla Opportunity tote in Small (SO PRETTY! Just the fact that it was beige&cream embroidered fabric that freaks me out too much, I'd hate to get stains on it)

The biggest change in my shopping behavior has been that I now have a need before a want. I'm also better at letting go and returning a bag if it's not prefect for me. I do get those sometimes pretty outlandish " :whut: I rEaLLy nEeD..." -ideas, but then again, I got one of those ideas last summer and I ended up getting a white Decadent crossbody. It was and is still a favorite and I've carried it a lot, even in wintertime.

Laurus Rina in dark blue crocodile .

It’s still on my wishlist, although I may sell the Geneva in ostrich as it’s too small for me..

Although I have 2 navy crocodile bags and recently sold 2 bags and will end up with Only navy croc bags!

Reactions: poleneceline
Attaching pictures of bags I looked at in Paris but did not buy. They were all great, but just not exactly what I was looking for at the time. That said, may get one or two of them this year.
You and I have similar tastes!

I discovered Pinel et Pinel fairly recently and was impressed with their bags (but have not bought, yet - on that trip I was already at capacity for return ). I love that BG (but the skinny strap would bother me). The Penelope I am still thinking about - the one I looked at recently at Saks (blue suede with grey leather handle/trim) also had an adjustable extra strap.

I just realized that I didn’t buy any bags in 2023. :shocked: Hopefully I’ll remedy that this year! :lol:

The bags I did pass on were:

-Chanel flap (I think it was the jumbo?) - I’m not a small girl, but even the SA agreed that it looked too big on my frame

-Chanel medium flap - did not work as a crossbody, which is a dealbreaker for me

-Chanel seasonal flap bag in lambskin - this was the hardest one to walk away from. Ultimately, I realized that I need to stick with bags that are more practical, not just aesthetically beautiful, and just sit on a shelf in my bedroom collecting dust.

-YSL envelope bag - almost grabbed this at CDG on one of my Paris trips, but couldn‘t quite pull the trigger. I really like it, but I’m not sure if the super structured, very boxy shape is the right fit for me.

This is a great thread, @poleneceline! It‘s really interesting to see what others have passed on!
I got two YSL envelope bags. One in Dark Beige and one in Black. I kept the black one for myself and gifted the Dark Beige to my cousin. She lives in a sunnier place so the beige is more of a year round color for her.

It's the end of 2023, so what are the bags you didn't buy this year? What bags did you talk yourself out of, and why?

For me:

1. Dior D'Joy bag - I like the different strap options, but I realized Dior wasn't my style. The size I was looking at also wouldn't hold a book or a kindle. I also already have enough top handle bags.

2. Celine Belt Bag - I think it's too big for my daily needs and it wouldn't get used much. The clasp also seems fussy. These are the same reasons why I talked myself out of YSL Sac De Jour and Celine Trapeze bag.

3. Demellier New York Tote - I like the look, but I think I was looking at it because I wanted an Hermes "dupe" or alternative. I'm also very short, so a big tote would totally overwhelm my frame. Plus I have a Polene Cyme - I only need one tote bag.
Adding to my list! Although I wasn't seriously considering any of these bags, I like to give myself a pat on the back for removing these temptations from my mind and not getting sucked into the constant desire to buy new things.

4. More box bags like Hermes Constance, Tory Burch Eleanor, or the YSL Solferino
5. Chanel bag
6. Polene Tonca
7. More tote bags or large bags

Non-bags items that I talked myself out of would be jewelry. I tried on a pair of sapphire earrings with a white gold and diamond halo but they were too small for me. After I returned, I decided I would not keep looking for a replacement. I have a pendant with this design and that's good enough for me. I also talked myself out of other jewelry, such as Helas pearl jewelry.

Reactions: vanillaicepink
Considering the other threads we are both on, I am not surprised! Obviously, I love of quality French bags. :smile:
Yes! And I am glad that you reminded me of Pinel - one doesn't hear anything about them here and I had a very nice boutique experience there. I have put them on my list for next visit.

Was strongly considering the small Celine 16 in natural calfskin. Put it on the back burner for a while, and when I decided to come back to it, I realised that I didn’t want it anymore, or at least for now. The calfskin is too delicate for the weather here, I have many bags in a similar shape (similar closure, top handle etc) and I already have enough brown/tan bags. Sadly, I also have similar bags in black, which would have been my second choice for the 16.

Reactions: poleneceline