bags with water bottle holder pockets

@BagsAreMyBabies-- i agree! this is on my wish list for spring!
@pinkshoulders --i will have to take a look at the B Makowsky! thanks!

@kings_20- sorry i dont reconize the initials of the "HH PAm Am tote" and it doesnt come up on google.

why don't you get a baby bag - many baby bags are now so fashionable that no one can really tell it is a baby bag - and on the plus side - they are usually lined with water resistant/stain resistant lining with extra protection.

I usually carry a bag big enough to carry a bottle - so wow, I never really thought about that until you brought it up.

Someone mentioned Not Rational - AWESOME! The Fab/Hansel/Diaper Bag are the same bag but with/without changing pad and messenger strap. It has four big outer pockets and is super squashy and just an awesome bag.

I also LOVE my Not Rational Sofia bag. The outer pocket could fit TWO large water bottles no problem.

dogdoc, I've been searching for a good cross body bag for when I'm traveling, and Not Rational seems to fit the bill! Can you tell me how heavy your Not Rational bags are? How soft is the leather? I tried out HH's Pallenberg duffle, but (a) the strap wasn't quite long enough to be comfortable cross body and (b) it was heavy.

TIA!

Hi!

NR has different kinds of leather. The heaviest are probably the "naked", followed by the "washed" and "wrinkled", though not necessarily in that order. The naked leather, to use the words of some friends of mine, is "soft as a baby's bottom", yet thick and substantial. They are all smooshy and really nice.

I have a Fab in the washed leather and tbh when it is loaded up it gets a little heavy, but not as heavy as, say, a Chloe. The patent and "diesel" leathers are light and lovely (but still strong).

They are very very slouchy bags so they sort of conform to your side and don't feel as large. If you have a lot of carry, the Fab/Hansel will carry it, but if you only have a little bit, it slouches down so that it doesn't look silly, kwim? Soe people don't like slouch, so if you are looking for something a little bit structered, then this might not be the bag for you.

Also check out the NR Amy. You can't fit a water bottle in any of the outer pockets, but it is a perfect work bag and has a really comfy cross-body strap. I just took mine on a trip and it was great.

HTH! :smile:

dogdoc, I've been searching for a good cross body bag for when I'm traveling, and Not Rational seems to fit the bill! Can you tell me how heavy your Not Rational bags are? How soft is the leather? I tried out HH's Pallenberg duffle, but (a) the strap wasn't quite long enough to be comfortable cross body and (b) it was heavy.

TIA!

NR has different kinds of leather. The heaviest are probably the "naked", followed by the "washed" and "wrinkled", though not necessarily in that order. The naked leather, to use the words of some friends of mine, is "soft as a baby's bottom", yet thick and substantial. They are all smooshy and really nice.

HTH! :smile:

dogdoc, I just wanted to thank you for convincing me to get a Not Rational bag! I tend to like smaller (compared to tPF standards) bags in smooshy soft leather, so I got a Frankie in naked brandy.
NotRationalFrankie.jpg

Can I just say how awesome this bag is?! :tup: I've been searching for a good quality smooshy 12"-ish lightweight leather cross-body bag for about a year, and this is the closest that I've come to the vague idea of perfection in my head.

So thanks for helping me get several steps closer to my holy grail travel handbag! :woohoo:

^^ I'm so glad you love Frankie! I know alot of people who swoon over their Frankie bags and I've come really close to getting one myself. It looks great on you!

I love my NR Amy in Black Diesel leather - it is the perfect work bag, though unfortunately I'm not working right now so it isn't getting used at all.

Ami, I noticed you also got the Maid in Form by Tano. How to they compare, if it's not like comparing apples and oranges :smile:?

To be honest, I've just gotten the bags, so I haven't taken them out on test runs yet. But here are my gut reactions:

Not Rational Frankie:
Plus
  • smooshy soft leather :love:
  • strap is just the right length cross-body for my torso
Minus
  • shorter handles are great for carrying on the shoulder, but they kinda get in the way when using the bag cross-body
  • strap is on the narrow side, so I suspect that it might bite into the shoulder if weighed down

Tano Maid in Form:
Plus
  • super lightweight for a leather bag
  • wide cross-body strap for comfort
  • no shoulder straps to get in the way of cross-body style
Minus
  • I don't think that I'm a fan of crunch leather -- I prefer smooshy & smooth
  • even on shortest setting, cross-body strap is a tad longer than I'd prefer
  • front zip pockets are a bit tight to get into

I think that the Not Rational is a bit deeper than the Tano, so it won't deform as much if I throw in a water bottle, especially since I carry a widemouth Nalgene one. Overall, I think that I prefer the Not Rational more just based on style & leather, but the Tano may prove more practical in the end with the wider body strap. The Tano is slightly more casual/edgier, and it is a good deal cheaper.

If you like the Tano, I recommend taking advantage of the current sale. :tup: Not Rational, OTOH, seems to be hard to find online -- I got lucky on ebay.

HTH!