Bagpillows instead of papers for stuffing ?

Joe Maya

Aug 4, 2020
Anyone using bagpillows to stuff their bag when not using ?
What are the pros and cons ?

Also which one should i consider - Satin Silk cover with Polyster Fiber inside or Satin Silk cover with Cotton inside ?

Everything inside and outside a bag should be breathable for storage.

Moisture ironically encourages dryness and/or mould and encourages the breakdown of leather.

Paper inside a bag absorbs the moisture that naturally occurs during storage and helps preserve the leather.

A bag pillow made from natural fibres like cotton wadding or kapok should be fine. If you can find them.

The problem is most commercial bag pillows are made with poly-blend rubbish (often sold as sustainable blah blah) and made to look pretty. These businesses are created looking for gaps in the market rather than looking at natural science.

Newspaper may not look pretty but it's better than most expensive (though cheaply made) commercial products.

Sounding like my dad now :biggrin: - but he was a master craftsperson (wood rather than leather) so he knew exactly what he was talking about and I still have some of his leather accessories bought in '60s, '70s '80s.

Everything inside and outside a bag should be breathable for storage.

Moisture ironically encourages dryness and/or mould and encourages the breakdown of leather.

Paper inside a bag absorbs the moisture that naturally occurs during storage and helps preserve the leather.

A bag pillow made from natural fibres like cotton wadding or kapok should be fine. If you can find them.

The problem is most commercial bag pillows are made with poly-blend rubbish (often sold as sustainable blah blah) and made to look pretty. These businesses are created looking for gaps in the market rather than looking at natural science.

Newspaper may not look pretty but it's better than most expensive (though cheaply made) commercial products.

Sounding like my dad now :biggrin: - but he was a master craftsperson (wood rather than leather) so he knew exactly what he was talking about and I still have some of his leather accessories bought in '60s, '70s '80s.
good advice but you'd have to be careful about newspaper if the lining was a light color I think

good advice but you'd have to be careful about newspaper if the lining was a light color I think

Absolutely.

Any colour but darkest IMO.

Newspaper print ruined my white leather jacket (years ago) and I just (thoughtlessly) put the paper under my arm for a moment juggling with shopping. Ink from newspaper is lethal!

I stuff with extra dustbags and old t shirts, but I get really annoyed at myself when I wear more than one bag a day bc all that stuffing takes up room

To me stuffing a bag with old, but clean textiles (t-shirts, towels, etc) is not a good idea because of residual body oils, fabric softeners or detergent in the cloth. To protect my bags I only use acid-free tissue paper. If you must use old cloth, rinse it at least 3x before use, preferably with a vinegar/water solution for the final rinse.

Late to this thread but I just ordered a pillow off of etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/836332671/satin-purse-storage-pillow-for-cc-flap?click_key=4335e92841ab9a1c6dc5dadfa71e11f360a0c7df:836332671&click_sum=b1f249d9&ref=hp_rv-2&sts=1

Should I be concerned about using this in my new classic flap? I was using a t-shirt before ordering this...after reading about different fillers I want to make sure this won't damage my bag in anyway!
The seller says it is a "satin & fiber ball" but doesn't disclose the fiber content, what is the satin composed of?
Personally, I would either use acid free tissue paper or a white cotton t-shirt in your CC flap, JMO

does anyone know if pure mulberry silk is good for leather bags or are they harmful since they repell dustmites?
Silk has its own vulnerabilities - depending on your climate. In a tropical one…mildew and if any bags get mould…silk will helpfully allow the mould to grow all over.

I learnt that lesson once with the fungi overrunning the entire bag in and out (not a Hermes though).