B2M - Get this...

MissTiss

Shopping Issues
O.G.
Mar 2, 2007
I have been to my local MAC counter and store many times in the last week or so (spent a fortune -- but that's beside the point:P). Anyway, when I was checking out she reminded me about the Back 2 MAC program and I told her I have never finished anything to return, so don't have any empties yet.

Now, I am a naturally curious/nosy person and have to know things. It's just my nature. I've been thinking about the depotting thing and how people are doing this to get their free lipstick or eyeshadow through the B2M program and IMO, this is dishonest...(just my opinion...please don't get mad:sweatdrop:). Soooooo, I ask her. What's the deal with that and depotting? She told me that their particular store will not accept depotted items any longer because it's taking advantage of the system and MAC corporate has caught on to this...she said it's a good idea to depot to downsize a collection, but not just so you can get the free item. To which I agreed, and then gushed over my Neo Sci Fi packaging.

Anyone having issues B2Ming depotted items? Curiosity again...

I havent depotted before, I usually dont even finish using the products when I turn it in..when Ive brought my items they dont even look it over, they just toss it into a can for b2m....I hope they dont stop the b2m because of depotting...I dont see the big deal with it if you've paid for the items!:shrugs:

I have MAC makeup that I haven't used in years. I have concealers that are not my color. Is it wrong for me to just depot these items just so I can bring them in to get a free lipstick? Even though I know I'm not going to use the makeup at all anymore?

You can get eyeshadow?? I thought it was only lipstick...

I don't think it's right to depot just to get a freebie but I do turn in my items once they are down to close to nothing or even ones that I dont like or use anymore...
but usually I forget!

NOW it makes sense! I've read a couple of threads that mentioned depotting and wondered WTH was going on! Silly me!

I've never worn MAC, but I wish Smashbox and Bobbi Brown would do this - I use quite a few products til they're gone!

I depot my eyeshadows because I have too many, and for me it's just easier to have them in palettes, rather than having a bunch of single eyeshadows all over the place. I called the MAC Pro store nearest to me and I asked if they would accept depotted eyeshadows for B2M before throwing them away, and they said they didn't have a problem with it, so I took them there. So far, no problems with my local store, don't know about others.

I've returned depotted items a few times & have never had a problem. I usually buy the pans though so I don't really depot often, but when I do if I can get a free product out of returning it then why not?

Also, I don't really think of it as dishonest or taking advantage because the system is in place to encourage recycling the product packaging not to encourage use of product.. so in both instances it's rewarding you for recycling not for finishing a product if you know what I mean?

But, I've found that it is actually cheaper just to buy six eyeshadows in pans & your free lipstick than it is to buy six eyeshadows in pots anyway, which makes the whole 'depotting for freebie' thing kinda silly anyway!

& this topic has JUST reminded me I threw out my empty MSF packaging. :sad:

ive depotted all of mine (expect for 4 eyeshadows) in my 15 pro pan palette

ive done B2M only once and got a free eyeshadow and they took my depotted empties

now i have 6 more so im hoping to go soon to return them.

I depot as well, since a lot of the limited edition colors don't come in pan form, and I prefer my shadows in palettes.

Frankly, I don't see how it's dishonest. The item has already been paid for - regardless of if the packaging was depotted, or returned half full.

well they should be happy that we are PAYING MORE buying a potted eyeshadow versus a pro pallete shadow which is CHEAPER. So in a way it works out equally does it not:
ie.
buy 6 regular eyeshadows @ 14.00 a piece = $84.00
buy 6 pro pallete eyeshadows @ 10.00 a piece = $60.00

a lipstick is what $14.00? so if we take in our 6 empty eyeshadow pots we get a lipstick or an eyeshdow worth $14.00 for free.

in the long run we have paid more for the free lipstick then we would have if we just bought the pro pallete shadows to begin with.
84-60 = $24 for the "free" lipstick.
make sense?

They think it's dishonest because some people will bring in just a pan without the pot and get a free lipstick, and then bring back the pot that belonged to that same pan and return it for another free lipstick. That's really what it is, so it's like getting 2 lipsticks for six returned products. Some people do that.

They think it's dishonest because some people will bring in just a pan without the pot and get a free lipstick, and then bring back the pot that belonged to that same pan and return it for another free lipstick. That's really what it is, so it's like getting 2 lipsticks for six returned products. Some people do that.

i don't see how this is possible. they are recycling the plastic pot, no way they would just take a plain metal pan and count that as an item for B2M. in any case, what is the point in doing this? people will buy brand new e/s mangle them, just to get a free lipstick which would cost more than if you just bought it right out? that doesn't make sense to me. again doing the math, 6 e/s = $84, you can get 2 free lipsticks using the method you mentioned, that means $42 per lipstick? and its not like you can gauge the e/s out of the metal pan and keep using it. or am i not understanding the process properly? :confused1:

i've never heard of a store taking back a DEPOTTED pan without a pot. i know they take the PROPAN's as b2m, they are the ones that come with the magnet and sticker on the bottom.

as for feeling guilty depotting and b2m'ing for them, i don't see why i should?? the limited edition's do not come in propan form, so i have to depot them to put them into my palettes. am i supposed to wait until i finish the pan in my palette before i b2m the pot?? i don't think so :confused1:

fortunately, both stores i go to have no issues taking back eyeshadow or blush pots without the pans.

^^ Interesting take ladies, and I completely did not think of the money part of the situation. Math has never been my strong point. I may jump on the pallette and depotting bandwagon just to downsize my ever growing "pot" collection. LOL.

I can see MACs point on this as well. Too bad my store is being a stickler. I guess if other stores take these items back then who cares what I think right??