Avril Lavigne

I just find her to be annoying... really can't stand her or her music. Like I've always thought, she is continually doing something obnoxious in front of the cameras... immature and disrespectful.

The things people say about Avril reminds me of what people would say about Alanis Morisette. I have no idea what happened to Alanis...she kind of disappeared from my radar after "Jagged Little Pill."

Her image is just as convoluted as the pop tarts that she is supposed to be the antithesis to. She's no different than the Britneys or Christinas of the world. They are all products. She just comes in a different packaging.

I live not very far from Avril's hometown of Napenee Ontario and have worked with kids that went to school with her.
According to them she is virtually unrecognizable from when she was a younger girl.
And, she was known locally for singing country music. I remember hearing that she sang back up with Shania Twain and was scouted after that.
She was clearly packaged up and marketed as something she was not.
Its too bad that the music industry has to do this. I just wish the girls didn't have to look so slutty all the time :tdown:

Her image is just as convoluted as the pop tarts that she is supposed to be the antithesis to. She's no different than the Britneys or Christinas of the world. They are all products. She just comes in a different packaging.

I agree w/ this comment. I don't really like her music, but it is all just packaging, esp. w/ her age group and genre.

This girl has no talent...whenever I hear her sing on th radio, I cant help but think "Damn...I could do better than that...UGH, change it!" It also doesnt help that she couldnt be any more annoying and obnoxious if she tried....

Chanel? Karl was better off recruiting a rapper. lol

but she looked absolutely stunning in her wedding dress. i think she isn't much of a rebellion, thats just her image.

look at Marilyn Manson when he got married

I totally agree that talking badly about other artists in interviews is bad bad etiquette. >_< But she obiously has the most important talent for pop music, as she sold quite a lot. ANd no matter how much musical talent an artist has it's not what counts in the world of music that sales. The most talented, most creative at the frontier and technically skilled artists in the world of music are NOT named Christina aguilera, Britney Spears, Madonna, Shania Twain, etc etc... These people are kind of comparable to SAs. They are sales people fronting a certain brand of entertainment/music/fashion/perfum/lifestyle. If co-writing or writing a song helps sales, they'll find an "artist" who is willing to do that. Or, if a punky image attracts a niche market, exploit it. IF you were to produce songs and you knew that a female at 16 years could make the song sell maybe 50 times more than if fronted by you, wouldn't you rather have her sing it?

I'm not trying to say that all of these girls are disabled musically and have no talents at all. Many of them have great singing skills, some can play instruments very well and have a great taste in fashion and music. The true survivors are even talented business people. But, arguing that some pop artist is "better" or "less fake" than another because of her singing skills or because She's more true to herself isen't very valid IMO in the world of pop.In the end all of these artists are the results of a group effort. Stylists, composers, band memebers, managers, venue planners, dancers, arrangers, a whoe bunch of often very talented people. SOmetimes not being "true to yourself" by leaving the work to somebody else may bee the wisest desicion.

Most ANYONE who's sane can write a pop melody, you don't really need any special talent. Arrangement and instrumentation is a totally different matter though and very few of any artists do that. (Björk maybe?)

Liberté;4760843 said:
I don't understand why singers in particular always have to be faced with accusations of not being "real" when people gladly accept actors in roles they have nothing in common with. It's not that different. If Angelina Jolie can portray a crazy person in Girl interrupted and do a really good and convincing job, why cannot a married avril be mad about her former boyfriend similarly? (I'm not saying she does, but that is beside the point and judging from her popularity she does). In the end both the mainstream actress and the pop songstress do a job, work keeping people entertained.

Because as an actor they are paid to just do that ACT, the more convincing the more they (should) are applauded for their work. In deeper roles such as Angelina's role in Girl Interrupted, i would imagine months worth of research would go into the role as well as studying the character and trying to appear as convincing as possible. And thats why i applaud AJ for her work in that movie, because IMO she was very convincing as that insane character.

I view singers in a very different light, I think singing should be a creative extension of yourself and your emotions. It should be true to the singer and have a purpose behind it, as a different way of communication. If one contradicts themselves with their style, songs, image and life i.e. Avril then IMO she has not been very successful. Just because music can be popular doesn't mean its good quality.

*steps of soap box*

I guess my problem with Avril is that her music is so often meanspirited (have you seen the video for Girlfriend??) and shows such a complete and utter lack of understanding about how the real world works- even though one of her "angles" is that she DOESN'T follow the pop-princess-fantasy thing, and is supposedly more in touch with reality. It just annoys me. Maybe she just needs to grow up a bit, or be handed less stuff on a platter, or something- but while the tunes may be catchy, her actual words are pretty mean and immature.