Authenticate This DOONEY & BOURKE

Please post authenticity questions related to DOONEY & BOURKE in this thread.

Note: The PurseForum requests that only members with extensive knowledge of the brand and authenticating who have over 500 posts participate as authenticators in this AT thread. The moderators reserve the right to remove authentications that do not meet these requirements.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about DOONEY & BOURKE; please refer to our Handbags & Purses forum for such information.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item:
Listing number:
Seller:
Link:
Comments:
If the bag in question is not on an auction site, please use the following:

Item Name (if you know it):
Link (if available):
Then attach any photos (all authentication must include photos.)

• Authenticators are not required to answer every request and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
  • Please note that comments on price and condition are NOT permitted.
  • Do NOT PM an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests should be posted in this thread.

Should one of your items be questioned in this thread, you are welcome to provide additional pictures or materials supporting its authenticity.

Do not handle your disputes with other members in this thread but take your differences to Private Messages. Failure to do so can result in banning.

Please utilize the "Quote" feature when responding directly to another post.

Disclaimer

All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and should not be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration via the forum's contact form.

View attachment 4196951 View attachment 4196952 View attachment 4196954
Here are a few more pictures. She sent us several well kept DB bags. Much better than last year when every DB older bag seemed to need a bath. Those poor babies. These are lovely in contrast.
It is authentic, and in beautiful condition! I don't know the official style name, but it's similar to the Classic Satchel (All Weather Leather) (credit to horsekeeping.com for image):
1145-R29-classic-firbt-1.jpg

For your description, you could use the words Dooney & Bourke, classic satchel, DB signature jacquard, leather trimmed, etc.

Reactions: monleal
I've been reading this thread to get an overview of what to look for when authenticating vintage bags. I have a stupid question. In the case of leather bags, particularly AWL, is it safe to assume that if the bag is truly leather it's an authentic bag? It seems to me counterfeiters wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of using real leather and making a well-crafted bag that could pass as real.

I've been reading this thread to get an overview of what to look for when authenticating vintage bags. I have a stupid question. In the case of leather bags, particularly AWL, is it safe to assume that if the bag is truly leather it's an authentic bag? It seems to me counterfeiters wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of using real leather and making a well-crafted bag that could pass as real.
I don't think you can make that assumption. I've seen Coach counterfeits that use very nice leather, and I would imagine that could happen with Dooney too.

Reactions: BeenBurned

I don't think you can make that assumption. I've seen Coach counterfeits that use very nice leather, and I would imagine that could happen with Dooney too.

I agree, I've seen some fake bags that could pass as genuine. Here is one example of a very close AWL fake:
Dooney and Bourke Hall of Shame - Post Dooney fakes here

(That whole thread is quite an eye-opener regarding fake vintage Dooneys.)

Counterfeiters do go to trouble and expense, and apparently it is lucrative for them, because the practice continues despite years of costly efforts by trademark holders, law enforcement and government entities to try to stop it.

I looked through some of the Hall of Shame thread, too. Fascinating. My husband goes to a lot of estate sales, and as an antiques dealer for decades, has a good eye for things that are well made, so when he volunteered the other day to keep an eye out for nice AWL bags, I thought I might be able to trust his judgment. But from what you folks are saying, good quality and real leather do not ensure authenticity.

Reactions: Catbird9
I looked through some of the Hall of Shame thread, too. Fascinating. My husband goes to a lot of estate sales, and as an antiques dealer for decades, has a good eye for things that are well made, so when he volunteered the other day to keep an eye out for nice AWL bags, I thought I might be able to trust his judgment. But from what you folks are saying, good quality and real leather do not ensure authenticity.
I'm not an expert on Dooney, so when I shop I don't buy anything that doesn't have the cloth tag inside, and I look at the pockets inside to see if they are like the pockets inside my other Dooneys. Also if you see another "made in China" tag in a vintage bag then you can assume it is fake.

Reactions: Catbird9
Dooney & Bourke Pomelo Ruby Purse
Listing # 183433323423
I Love Dooney on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dooney-Bou...p-Handle-Bag/183433323423?hash=item2ab57a639f
Is this authentic, please?
The seller is an authorized Dooney & Bourke outlet. The photos in the listing are stock photos. If you buy the bag and are concerned about the authenticity of the bag you receive, you can post pictures here and we'll take a look. There is a Purse Forum thread about ILoveDooney.com:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/ilovedooney-com-please-share-your-experience.896264/

I'm not an expert on Dooney, so when I shop I don't buy anything that doesn't have the cloth tag inside, and I look at the pockets inside to see if they are like the pockets inside my other Dooneys. Also if you see another "made in China" tag in a vintage bag then you can assume it is fake.
Some of the earliest Dooneys didn't have the cloth tags with serial numbers.

Reactions: whateve