Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

In NY flagship store, 5th avenue and 53rd street. There is usually at least one of these guys present there for monogramming, customizing, cleaning and whatever else they do there on the spot. They wear cute leather aprons with a turnlock.

I did not take and post the pictures because visually the bag is absolutely authentic, including the age and wear of leather (according to what he said).
Thanks, I didn't know they had craftspeople in their main store.

Keep in mind though that since those Sheridan styles are around 25 years old it's very likely that current employees wouldn't be personally familiar with them. especially since Coach seems to have mostly abandoned their repair service a while back. Their in-house authentication service was shut down about 10 years ago, too, so Coach employees should never be the Last Word in whether something's genuine. Most of Coach's original leatherworkers were experienced craftspeople between 25 and 50-plus years old judging by the photos in Coach's 1977 (?) book The Factory and originally from Central and South America and I doubt if many, if any, of them are still there, so current employees have no direct connection to styles made that long ago. Fortunately faked Sheridans can be fairly easy to spot since almost all of the ones we've seen were made in Korea and usually say so right under the creed.

Even the apparent quality of an item can't be taken as proof of authenticity. We've heard from a small number of people who unknowingly bought fakes, mainly older ones in classic and vintage styles, and were happy with the quality of what they bought. So authentications based on the actual details of the item are usually a good idea for the majority of buyers.
I'll second Hyacinth's cautionary comments. Much as I appreciate Luis (one of the "craftsman" at the flagship store) and some of the SAs there, I wouldn't assume that their opinions regarding authenticity were 100% accurate. Yes, they've been through COACH training, and some have even been taken on a tour of the archives, but unfortunately IMO that does not necessarily render them experts, especially on the older styles. They're just not experienced enough nor have adequate exposure in those realms. Some admittedly are knowledgeable of the basics, but that doesn't make them experts with access to extensive case history files.

If it were a different day, I'd relate the story of watching one of them hunt for "the little fabric tag with the style number on it" inside of a 1960s vintage bag (one with a black COACH metal tag as the sole means of identification) that I had brought in to discuss how to approach a tab repair. Admittedly, the bag was older, by quite a bit, than every SA in the store, but anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge regarding the history of how COACH has identified bags over the years would have known better. And yes, the "B" for "Bonnie" myth on the Branson kisslock frame was also enthusiastically shared with me there.

Frankly, I'd like to have the opportunity to visit the repair facility in NJ. Not because there's any company knowledge to be found there, but just to see the techniques they employ. In fact, I'm presently contemplating sending them a 1970s era bag that requires extensive binding replacement work (that would take me several hours to do, consume several feet of binding stock, and also require coloring to match) and see how they do with it. The repair classification price card that I saw on the craftsmanship counter there at the 5th Ave store suggested that the standard charge for that type of repair wasn't at all unreasonable.

Bottom line message (that's certainly gotten lost here): As far as I'm concerned, trust omthe experts here at tPF if you want reliable and accurate authentication of any COACH bag (excepting perhaps the most recent for which the knowledge base is shallow). They may not be perfect, but I'd trust their judgement more than other sources. That, and the price for the service can't be beat. And no, I'm not being compensated for this purely voluntary plug.

Hello Ladies,
Please authenticate the following items:
Item: 3 Vintage Leather Coach Accessories (40535351)
Seller: Goodwill
LIsting #: 40535351
Link: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=40535351
Comments: Overzealous bidding, only interested in authentication of the "buffalo hide slim wallet" and the "red card case with chain" and their style name/number...:hrmm:

Item: Vtg COACH Maroon Suede Leather Back Pack Duffle PURSE Classic 90s Look
Seller: bluedemicafe1
Listing #: 382137501174
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-COACH-Maroon-Suede-Leather-Back-Pack-Duffle-PURSE-Classic-90s-Look/382137501174?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Item: Vintage Coach Leather Drawstring Purse Handbag Made in USA
Seller: mysweetbaboo
Listing #: 222547212087
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-Leather-Drawstring-Purse-Handbag-Made-in-USA-/222547212087?

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

Last edited:
Item: I think the creed says G0873-12888 (The picture is hard to see, but I believe that's what the creed says)
Listing number:
Seller: joanna_blair
Link: https://poshmark.com/listing/Deep-brown-purple-coach-purse-5936c9854e8d17b19c031877
Comments: Can you tell me if this is authentic? I have tried searching for Coach 12888 on the internet, but keep getting results showing me F12888, which shows up as a completely different purse. If this purse is authentic, can you tell me which one it is? Thank you!

m_5936c98c7fab3a2b9100664e.jpg
m_5936c99a6a58308b620068b5.jpg
m_5936c9a078b31c8cdd0346b7.jpg
m_5936c9a7981829ae22006486.jpg

This is a puzzler. There's been some discussion about use of the R plant and from what I've seen, the fakes look pretty similar to the probably-genuine R bags.

So I'm curious about this listing. I question it because the spacing and font differ from one in my own files. Other concerns are the texture and wrinkling of the front and bottom. (Front looks elephant-y.)

Shall post side by sides.
Seller uniquefashions15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coa...141655?hash=item41c8a52a17:g:18oAAOSwHoFXu1s9
View attachment 3740653 View attachment 3740651
And the side by side creeds -- uniquefashions15 J6R compared to authentic J6R:
View attachment 3740665

Besides what you already mentioned, the entire base of the black 5180 Metropolitan is wrong. That style should have a single center seam on the base, NEVER 2 bottom seams with one on each end. Here's one from the C plant also made in 1996, note that it has the updated turnlock which the fake should have but doesn't, those were introduced in early 1996 (the seller mis-identifies it as a Beekman).:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COACH-VINTA...772355?hash=item23875b7183:g:xZsAAOSw1WJZLQ2A

Below is one from the Mexico plant 1999 with the newer turnlock details, but the base never changed. The second one is Coach's Spring 1996 catalog pic showing the already-updated turnlock and leather turnlock tab.

Report away!

5180_D9N-Mexico-Metropolitan Brief-a.jpg

5180_Metropolitan Brief_Spring1996-b.jpg

Last edited:
Item: I think the creed says G0873-12888 (The picture is hard to see, but I believe that's what the creed says)
Listing number:
Seller: joanna_blair
Link: https://poshmark.com/listing/Deep-brown-purple-coach-purse-5936c9854e8d17b19c031877
Comments: Can you tell me if this is authentic? I have tried searching for Coach 12888 on the internet, but keep getting results showing me F12888, which shows up as a completely different purse. If this purse is authentic, can you tell me which one it is? Thank you!

m_5936c98c7fab3a2b9100664e.jpg
m_5936c99a6a58308b620068b5.jpg
m_5936c9a078b31c8cdd0346b7.jpg
m_5936c9a7981829ae22006486.jpg

That's because the serial number is actually 12688, Soho Patent Satchel. It's genuine.

Hello Ladies,
Please authenticate the following items:
Item: 3 Vintage Leather Coach Accessories (40535351)
Seller: Goodwill
LIsting #: 40535351
Link: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=40535351
Comments: Overzealous bidding, only interested in authentication of the "buffalo hide slim wallet" and the "red card case with chain" and their style name/number...:hrmm:

Item: Vtg COACH Maroon Suede Leather Back Pack Duffle PURSE Classic 90s Look
Seller: bluedemicafe1
Listing #: 382137501174
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-COACH-Maroon-Suede-Leather-Back-Pack-Duffle-PURSE-Classic-90s-Look/382137501174?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Item: Vintage Coach Leather Drawstring Purse Handbag Made in USA
Seller: mysweetbaboo
Listing #: 222547212087
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-Leather-Drawstring-Purse-Handbag-Made-in-USA-/222547212087?

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

1- the wallet is a 4630 Envelope Wallet from the late 1980s. I don't have anything on the card case.
2- genuine Berkeley Convertible Backpack
3- probably a Drawstring Sac from the Lightweight line, style 4015, late 1980s

Bottom line message (that's certainly gotten lost here): As far as I'm concerned, trust omthe experts here at tPF if you want reliable and accurate authentication of any COACH bag (excepting perhaps the most recent for which the knowledge base is shallow). They may not be perfect, but I'd trust their judgement more than other sources. That, and the price for the service can't be beat. And no, I'm not being compensated for this purely voluntary plug.
I agree with much of what you've said but take issue with the part in red.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive but as the authenticator whose expertise is mainly non-classic and non-vintage bags (post-2000), I'm insulted that my knowledge base would be considered shallow.

In fact, as a result of improved technology and 3-D printers making templates, the counterfeiters have gotten extremely "good" at their art making authentications considerably more difficult and time-consuming.

Several years ago, we were seeing alleged "sample" bags coming from sellers in the NY-NJ area. These bags were "identical" to legitimate styles but had non-existent style numbers, creeds sans serial numbers when they should have had them or serial numbers that belonged on different styles of bags. Some even had serial numbers with "correct" style numbers but date codes indicating they'd have been made several years before Coach introduced the styles.

And in the last few years, we've been seeing more and better fakes coming out of the Philippines, including that shown just hours ago and authenticated in post #23340. As in that post above, the only "mistake" the fakers made was putting the wrong style number on a bag of a similar style.

My bottom line is that for all the time I put in to TPF, both on Coach, Dooney and some shoes authentications as well as the ebay subforum, I don't consider my knowledge base as "shallow."

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive but as the authenticator whose expertise is mainly non-classic and non-vintage bags (post-2000), I'm insulted that my knowledge base would be considered shallow.

In fact, as a result of improved technology and 3-D printers making templates, the counterfeiters have gotten extremely "good" at their art making authentications considerably more difficult and time-consuming.

Several years ago, we were seeing alleged "sample" bags coming from sellers in the NY-NJ area. These bags were "identical" to legitimate styles but had non-existent style numbers, creeds sans serial numbers when they should have had them or serial numbers that belonged on different styles of bags. Some even had serial numbers with "correct" style numbers but date codes indicating they'd have been made several years before Coach introduced the styles.

And in the last few years, we've been seeing more and better fakes coming out of the Philippines, including that shown just hours ago and authenticated in post #23340. As in that post above, the only "mistake" the fakers made was putting the wrong style number on a bag of a similar style.

My bottom line is that for all the time I put in to TPF, both on Coach, Dooney and some shoes authentications as well as the ebay subforum, I don't consider my knowledge base as "shallow."

My apologies. No offense was intended and I'm sorry to have raised your ire. I was actually referring to the latest styles (within the past two years or so) and the plethora of newly introduced FP and MFF models for which there hasn't been suficient time to accrue a substantial or definitive database.

What RL Bernstein might have meant is that the lack of stamped serial numbers in bags made over the last 3 years has made it harder than it used to be to spot fakes from that time period. Like you mentioned, spotting fakes trying to pass as sample bags was much easier when we had a database of valid creed and serial photos and actual serial numbers stamped on the creeds. No one's saying or implying that you're not doing your best, but it's COACH that's taken one of the most effective authentication tools away from us. A tiny printed white tag buried at the bottom of a pocket (assuming the poster can even find it or has the bag in her possession to photograph it) can never be as accurate as a creed and serial stamping where we have valid photos of the genuine version in our files for comparison.

So in that respect, yes, our database - the info and photos we use, or used to use - has gotten more shallow. But we're not the ones responsible.

Reactions: RL Bernstein
Want to order this bag. do u think it is authentic?
NO. B1520 F 55446

Where did you get that bag? Is there a link? What country are you in? (Are you in the Philippines?)

I'm not comfortable with that bag but other opinions are welcome.

I believe the mini bennett with style 55446 is supposed to be plaid.

The signature version should be style 36702.

I see a piece of the price tag in one of your pictures. Can you please post a full picture of both sides of it?
While I understand posters' reluctance to post links for fear of encouraging the interest of other buyers, I will request that you (and other posters) PLEASE view post #1 and use the posting format required.

We've been lenient about holding posters to it here on AT Coach but in cases like this one, it's really important to see where these bags are coming from and if possible, for us to report.

At this point, I don't recommend buying this bag.